The Atheist Book Club discussion

91 views
Scriptural Discussions > Will you know your God when you see them?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Prashant (new)

Prashant Chopra (prashchopra) Akki looked for one God from among 330Million. But he missed the God he had. Right there. With him. All the time.

Will you know when your God is around?

This is inspired from my story. What is yours? Care to discuss?:-)

Now available in #print . Get one in time as a #Thanksgiving #gift for your loved ones:-)
https://www.createspace.com/4540734
#amazon #book #faith


message 2: by Walter (new)

Walter Foddis | 1 comments You do realize you're posting to an atheist group, right?


message 3: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 25 comments Walter wrote: "You do realize you're posting to an atheist group, right?"

They think personal stories will convince us because, uh, well, just because. :P


message 4: by Prashant (new)

Prashant Chopra (prashchopra) If only you had cared to read what the book is about:-)


message 5: by Prashant (new)

Prashant Chopra (prashchopra) I take offense on the "they" reference. Please read the book excerpt. Passing judgments without proper information is disrespectful :P


message 6: by Lex (new)

Lex Allen (lexallenbooks) I read the excerpt on the link you listed, Prash. It sure sounds like a religious oriented book. The god that Akki looks for need not be the Christian, Islamic or some Greek/Roman/Asian mythological god; any god is anathema to an atheist. If, in fact, your book concludes that there is no god for poor Akki to pray or that the story twists to a conclusive decision that god does not exist; you should change your except/product description or stop promoting to atheists.

Just trying to helpful, you're certainly welcome to promote your book wherever you like... ;o)

Carpe Diem!


message 7: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 98 comments i read the excerpt. i can't summon up any interest in somebody searching for a god to pray to; whether he finds one or not, it's a futile effort. certainly not worth my time when i have so many other books that i want to read. however, you'll have as much success here as you will on any of the christian groups.


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

God is logically impossible.


message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 29, 2015 01:31PM) (new)

deleted user wrote: "God is logically impossible."

In logic, circular reasoning is invalid. Therefore, the idea of God is logically nonsense. However, what is logic to unreason?


message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Copsey (ian_d_copsey) The problem with debating whether their is a "God" is that human beings in all cultures have succumbed to dogma in terms of what "God" actually is. It's clearly not the Being that all religions adhere to.

I do believe that energies are never destroyed. I have experienced contact from several of my family who have died - and this was only known after the death and the incredible timing of that contact.

In reality, when talking of God, I cannot fathom how anyone could even have ANY inkling of what this energy is. It's only the folly of humans believing that they MUST know and understand.

Logic, in terms of defining such an energy, is just not possible..


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Ian wrote: "The problem with debating whether their is a "God" is that human beings in all cultures have succumbed to dogma in terms of what "God" actually is. It's clearly not the Being that all religions adh..."

I agree. Religion is carnivalesque.


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Needs and Wants

The Devil wants you to sin,
but God needs you to sin.


message 13: by Stephie (new)

Stephie Williams (stephiegurl) | 42 comments Prashant wrote: "I take offense on the "they" reference. Please read the book excerpt. Passing judgments without proper information is disrespectful :P"

I agree that using a blanket term like they, we, or all can be disrespectful. However, why should I bother to read your book? This is more a matter of time management, rather than close-mindedness. Is this a fictional work? If so, anything can be made into a story if one is creative enough, but it does not make it so.


message 14: by Stephie (new)

Stephie Williams (stephiegurl) | 42 comments Ian wrote: "The problem with debating whether their is a "God" is that human beings in all cultures have succumbed to dogma in terms of what "God" actually is. It's clearly not the Being that all religions adh..."

Than, according to your logic, god is not definable. It is hard to believe (philosophical definition) something that is not defined. Also, people are made of more than just energy.

If god were some kind of energy: 1) wouldn't that make god a material being, which is against most people's definition? 2) would he/she/it be subject to the second law of thermodynamics? On this question you could reply that god's energy is not subject to this law, in which case it partially defines god, which is against what you have stated.


message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian Copsey (ian_d_copsey) Steven wrote: "Ian wrote: "The problem with debating whether their is a "God" is that human beings in all cultures have succumbed to dogma in terms of what "God" actually is. It's clearly not the Being that all r..."

Can "God" be governed by human based perceptions and physics? It's obvious that human beings think they are the most sophisticated and intelligent of all life forms. But really? Why can't we emulate the creation of a sphere of physical life?

To be honest, I don't even like the term "God." It's too emotive and based from a human perspective. I have no idea what it is and don't really care. It's just very clear that collectively we're a pretty dumb form of animal life.


message 16: by Rich (new)

Rich Goscicki | 54 comments G.L. wrote: "Ian wrote: "The problem with debating whether their is a "God" is that human beings in all cultures have succumbed to dogma in terms of what "God" actually is. "

You shouldn't use the word "actually." Can you say "nothingness actually is"?


message 17: by Rich (new)

Rich Goscicki | 54 comments In my essay "Ten Reasons Not To Believe" I cover a few of the points of discussion here. Ian wrote,

human beings think they are the most sophisticated and intelligent of all life forms

Anthropocentrism is one of the evils I listed above and one of the worst calamities that ever beset the planet. It resulted in one species growing like a cancer at the expense of the entire superorganism, Gaia. It's a horror resulting in what physical anthropologists call "The Holocene Extinction". Did you know only 50% of all vertebrate species alive when I was born during WWII are still alive. What a crime against nature, all caused by gullibility and fear of the unknown.

Just think, this stupid book caused not only the loss of life of individual animals, but entire species. The Bible caused the death of birth itself.

The other nine reasons are equally as poignant.

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Humanis...


message 18: by Rich (new)

Rich Goscicki | 54 comments It must have been another board. Here's my list evils brought about and promulgated by Biblical thought.

“The Bible and Koran condone and then encourage the worst aspects of human behavior:  war, slavery, necrophilia, cruelty to animals, abuse of the Earth itself, anthropocentrism, suicide, starvation, racism, dichotomous thinking, nepotism, xenophobia, child abuse, misogyny, blind faith, hadephobia, genocide, sexism, child sacrifice (especially filicide considered redemptive), capital punishment, homophobia, denial of reality, self-flagellation, torture, human sacrifice, symbolic cannibalism, and other insults to reason. 

The result has been to corrupt, distort and pervert the worldview of all who stubbornly cling to these primitive superstitions and have faith in the dictates and promises of professional clerics.” 
 
I admit it. I hate what religion and the Bible has done to people and even worse the planet itself.


message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian Copsey (ian_d_copsey) Rich wrote: "G.L. wrote: "Ian wrote: "You shouldn't use the word "actually." Can you say "nothingness actually is"?
"


So you have confirmed do have a belief system - that there is no "Supreme err "thing' " just like religions have their belief system. You cannot prove that your view is correct. Therefore you have created your own religion!


message 20: by Rich (new)

Rich Goscicki | 54 comments Quite true. I have created my own religion, or set of beliefs, which I call anti-supernaturalism. THERE IS NOTHING SUPERNATURAL outside a singularity which shouldn't concern us. I describe the details of the philosophy in my book.

The most important point is that we can't rely on God to solve human problems. The universe is indifferent to us.


message 21: by Ian (last edited Aug 11, 2015 09:45PM) (new)

Ian Copsey (ian_d_copsey) Rich wrote: "Quite true. I have created my own religion, or set of beliefs, which I call anti-supernaturalism. THERE IS NOTHING SUPERNATURAL outside a singularity which shouldn't concern us. I describe the de..."

I agree with you basically. Human beings, in terms of any possible/probable alternate existence, still have an outlook that is very similar to "the sun revolves around the earth" and view religion or spiritual matters from the point of view that physical life is at the centre of life. The New Age "religion" is no different. They all too often they make conflicting statements.

So to prove that there is an alternative existence, one must find a way to obtain independent evidence to prove an afterlife. That has been done by a number of past life regression therapists in a manner that provide identical descriptions of an afterlife that come from non-related people.


message 22: by Rich (new)

Rich Goscicki | 54 comments That has been done by a number of past life regression therapists in a manner that provide identical descriptions of an afterlife that come from non-related people

Am I supposed to alter my basic philosophy based on the reports of witch doctors? Did you study in detail these "identical descriptions" for possible artifacts? A lot of magic tricks seem impossible to the naked eye.


message 23: by Ian (new)

Ian Copsey (ian_d_copsey) Rich wrote: "That has been done by a number of past life regression therapists in a manner that provide identical descriptions of an afterlife that come from non-related people

Am I supposed to alter my basic..."


Witch doctors! Magic tricks! That's really funny. I do suggest you try reading books from Dr. Brian Weiss (not my favourite option - he's a bit too New Agey) but Dr Michael Newton, Andy Tomlinson, Dr. Peter Mack and Thomas Zinser. Personally, I have seen tremendous changes in people who have had traumatic issues and have been solved by a few past life regression sessions - something that traditional psycho therapists take years trying to achieve.

These identical descriptions are from Life Between Life session in which unrelated people from different backgrounds describe the process of death and what they see (and it's not the bright white tunnel stuff...)

From my own perspective I have been contacted by relatives (well, one was my dog...!) after they died. In ALL cases I had no knowledge of their death until after some unusual occurrence occurred and all within 10 minutes of their death. The timing was impeccable.


message 24: by Rich (new)

Rich Goscicki | 54 comments Ian wrote: "Rich wrote: "That has been done by a number of past life regression therapists in a manner that provide identical descriptions of an afterlife that come from non-related people

Am I supposed to a..."


I am a fan of Dr Susan Blackmore but for her work on memetics and not afterlife mumbo jumbo She seems to pay it some credulity.

Is this Life Between Life stuff related to reincarnation? If so, I want to come back as a duck. I like ducks, OK?

One point to make: what about all the times you thought of friends or relatives and they didn't die? When discussing this stuff, as my girlfriend often says, "whatever blows your skirt up."


message 25: by Ian (new)

Ian Copsey (ian_d_copsey) Rich wrote: "Ian wrote: "Rich wrote: "That has been done by a number of past life regression therapists in a manner that provide identical descriptions of an afterlife that come from non-related people

Am I s..."


No problem, although I find your research limited and based on what you want to believe. I reject much of the New Age stuff - and also of my past life regression friends - for the same reason that they prefer what they want things to be. I've been around for over 50 years observing and am happy that even quantum physics is beginning to realise that energy comes first and actually creates the physical...

No, I didn't have any other thoughts of family/friends deaths.


message 26: by Rich (new)

Rich Goscicki | 54 comments As you know I'm a anti-supernaturalist but there was an instance in my life that seemed a little "spooky". Ever since college I've had an uncanny feeling of being reincarnation of Franz Kafka. I recount the experience in "Dui Story", in which I describe being in jail from the point of view of K.

Until this day I have a dreadful fear of bureaucracy. I even ended the story with a short poem: I'm a fly caught in a web of red tape. I thought I was a butterfly."

Kafka had a profound effect on twentieth century literature and philosophy, y'know. He was the founder of absurdism, and a favorite of JP Satre and Albert Camus.
The story is in Pot Stories. Fun read. It answers the question what would K perceive compared to the rest of us.

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Humanis...

There're so many great reads in there touching on a multiplicity of philosophical and religious issues.
I can't understand how over a million books sold better on Kindle. And that's with the famous feminist Barbara G. Walker contributing some profound essays. Go figure.


message 27: by Stephie (new)

Stephie Williams (stephiegurl) | 42 comments Ian wrote: "Steven wrote: "Ian wrote: "The problem with debating whether their is a "God" is that human beings in all cultures have succumbed to dogma in terms of what "God" actually is. It's clearly not the B..."

Since god doesn't exist, according to my lights, he/she/it wouldn't be governed by anybody, including humans.

What other perspective do we have, other than the human?


message 28: by Ian (new)

Ian Copsey (ian_d_copsey) Steven wrote: "Since god doesn't exist, according to my lights, he/she/it wouldn't be governed by anybody, including humans."

All I've said is that I have personal experience of a "non earthly" energy. I am also aware that quantum physics has stated that energy/consciousness creates the physical.

As for "God" I have already stated that whatever it is, it's nothing we can conceive - but certainly not that of general religious beliefs. To confirm, I do not believe in any religion as I stated above.


message 29: by Rich (last edited Aug 21, 2015 12:06PM) (new)

Rich Goscicki | 54 comments All I've said is that I have personal experience of a "non earthly" energy. I am also aware that quantum physics has stated that energy/consciousness creates the physical.

Einstein pretty much proved this statement with E = Mc squared. We can see by the equation that matter and energy are one.


message 30: by Stephie (last edited Nov 29, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Stephie Williams (stephiegurl) | 42 comments Ian wrote: "Steven wrote: "Since god doesn't exist, according to my lights, he/she/it wouldn't be governed by anybody, including humans."

All I've said is that I have personal experience of a "non earthly" en..."


Where does quantum physics state this? Or is this just some woo woo philosophers interpretation?

A woo woo philosopher is one who does not use rational discourse to prove, or at least, support his or hers argument. He or she might not even state an argument, just give a pronuouncement.

After asking and saying this I am not attacking your personal experience.


message 31: by Ian (new)

Ian Copsey (ian_d_copsey) Steven wrote: "Ian wrote: "Steven wrote: "Since god doesn't exist, according to my lights, he/she/it wouldn't be governed by anybody, including humans."

All I've said is that I have personal experience of a "non..."


http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysic...

If you look around, there are quite a few articles on this.


message 32: by Stephie (new)

Stephie Williams (stephiegurl) | 42 comments Ian wrote: "Steven wrote: "Ian wrote: "Steven wrote: "Since god doesn't exist, according to my lights, he/she/it wouldn't be governed by anybody, including humans."

All I've said is that I have personal exper..."


Are these articles peer reviewed.


back to top