The Sword and Laser discussion

Ann Leckie
This topic is about Ann Leckie
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #152 - Ancillary Justice Wrap-up with Author Ann Leckie

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1673 comments Mod
Two big reasons to cheer on this episode. One, you backed us, you really backed us, and we have 12 glorious episodes of the video Sword and Laser authors guides coming next year. Two, author Ann Leckie joins us to wrap up Ancillary Justice!

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2013/11...

message 2: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 26, 2013 07:33AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6203 comments Ann won't say what genders people are, or what they look like. What a tease!

Reading forum comments about your book though. That's brave.

Hmmm, maybe Breq looks something like Jago, the female bodyguard from Foreigner:

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments Well, I had a lot of issues with the book this month and the interview only made things worse for me, but that's ok. If I agreed with and loved everything, it would be boring.

Tom, Cornflakes absolutely belong as a casserole topping. Now Funyuns...

And V, try this instead of Velveeta dip. You'll (maybe) never go back: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/mighty...

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1673 comments Mod
terpkristin wrote: "Well, I had a lot of issues with the book this month and the interview only made things worse for me, but that's ok. If I agreed with and loved everything, it would be boring.

Tom, Cornflakes abso..."

OK, I'll try it!

message 5: by Rob Secundus (new)

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments I can definitely see why she's reluctant to discuss Breq's appearance, given the "she looks just like that saint!" Thing that will probably be explained at some point.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6203 comments terpkristin wrote: "the interview only made things worse for me..."

Why's that?

message 7: by terpkristin (last edited Nov 26, 2013 10:08AM) (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments Well, I thought the book made things needlessly confusing at times (not the gender thing which I didn't really mind) and that the book (for me) didn't work. So Ms. Leckie's cagey/enigmatic responses just made it feel more....well, I can't find (edit: stupid autocorrect) the exact word, but pretentious is the closest I can come (and I do not like it, it's too negative of a word). I usually find that author interviews make me want to read more from the author, to give them a second chance if I didn't like what I'd read. But this time, I have even less interest in the rest of the series or other books by her. That said, it seems that she likes C.J. Cherryh, another author whose work I didn't like....so I guess it's a style thing. I feel like I'm not a smart enough reader to enjoy them or something (and certainly some of the praise this particular book received in threads here made it seem that way too).

message 8: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Great episode. Loved the Ann Leckie interview. I'm glad she didn't answer some of the questions because a lot of the fun of the book is in working stuff out yourself and in leaving certain things open for interpretation.

message 9: by Lindsay (last edited Nov 26, 2013 03:56PM) (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments terpkristin wrote: "That said, it seems that she likes C.J. Cherryh, another author whose work I didn't like....so I guess it's a style thing."

Must be. I still think Ancillary Justice was the best thing I've read this year and Cherryh is one of my favorite authors.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Great interview. I agree with David Sven, since the book left things open to interpretation, it would have been a shame if she'd just come out and said "Oh, such and such a person is a guy and looks like blah blah blah". I love the book the way it was in my imagination, so I don't really want to be told the 'correct' interpretation.

I guess we're all different for how much we want made clear.

message 11: by Chad (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 180 comments Ruth wrote: "Great interview. I agree with David Sven, since the book left things open to interpretation, it would have been a shame if she'd just come out and said "Oh, such and such a person is a guy and look..."

See I think a book is not a visual medium you have to give enough information to at least form a mental picture of what is going on with whom, I found this book similar to listening to a movie, missing a lot of the information

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) 'Ancillary Justice' is second on my personal list of best books I read in 2013, the first being 'The Good Lord Bird.' I'm SO happy the club picked it!