Mathematics Students discussion

Topology > Topology by James R. Munkres

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Ramseyer | 25 comments Hello All,

I will have to go through MSSU's library and request Topology. There is a copy in Kansas City, but Mobius won't let me request it as I am listed as a community user at MSSU.

I am not sure what KC's protocols are; they may not be willing to ship the book,or for very long, this close to end of semester/Christmas.

With that and the holidays, does anyone mind if we don't plan on an in-depth study on the book until January?

I am hoping to get it for a few days, to at least get an overview.

As for the topic of Topology, I brought home some books from the libraries on Friday. Topology, knot theory, and so forth. I can get going on questions under Chris' "potential topology study group" topic as I start reading/studying, just not this specific book yet.

Suggestions? Agreements?

Thanks
Theresa

message 2: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Lett (slider142) | 15 comments That sounds like fun. I have Munkres on my bookshelf from college, in addition to some other texts on the topic that are a bit more specific.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Aldrich (chrisaldrich) | 19 comments I'm sure we might also take a look at one or more topology textbooks from Dover (publishers) as they usually have not only good textbooks, but they're usually very inexpensive and widely available.

For those who are cost conscious, one might also try purchasing an international edition of Munkres' textbook for an exceedingly reasonable price if it's not available at their local library.

I'm happy to wait until the new year if necessary.

message 5: by Ronald (last edited Nov 29, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

Ronald Lett (slider142) | 15 comments No problem! Another Dover text you might like is Counterexamples in Topology. I've always found the creation of a good counterexample to be very illuminating.