Outlander Series discussion

miscellaneous > Personal Pet Peeves of Book Readers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (last edited Nov 26, 2013 02:02PM) (new)

Katie Raeder (raederkatie) | 153 comments I am curious if anyone shares my pet peeves of what people do to books while reading them or when finished with them and if anyone has some new ones that I have not thought of.

Here are mine:

#1. Ear Tags/Marks - This drives me insane and I have refused to lend books to known "ear tag makers"

#2. Bending a cover back over the back of the book

#3. Using the dust jacket as a book mark - I personally take the dust jackets off my hard covers while reading them.

#4. Rips, folds, and tears on either front or back covers and or dust jackets.

#5. Using them as a fileling cabinet for loose small pieces of paper.

#6. Just tossing them around to where the pages get curled up or folded over

#7. Water Marks and damage

get set, go!

Added by others:

#8. Food stains and bits of food

#9. Pet Hair

#10. Writing in books (notes, highlights, underlines)

#11. Getting a book back from a borrower in worse condition than when it went to them

#12. Not getting a book back from a borrower at all.

#13. Blood or boogers on the pages.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments #2 has been a pet peeve of mine since elementary school! I do #5 myself though. I know a lot of people do this but I think writing in the book; notes, highlights, underlines, really disturbes me.

message 3: by Jen (at last!) (last edited Nov 25, 2013 05:46PM) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Ha, all of those bug me minus #5. I will not loan a book to a known "dog earer" or food spiller.

I'll add when people hyper extend the binding so that it cracks and the pages start falling out. Pisses me off!

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i'm going to move this down to miscellaneous ;)

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Raeder (raederkatie) | 153 comments Sorry didn't know where to put it.

message 6: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments Because of all those reasons I don't lend out books.

message 7: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments I agree with all reasons above. But my biggest peeve is getting the book back in a condition that I know it wasn't it when I lent it out.

Another peeve -- said borrower telling me that they have to find the book to return it or they try to convince me that they really did return it to me!

As I always say 'I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night'

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments I hate when you just don't get the book back! I have two of my favorites that have been "borrowed" for over a year now. One The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons can easily be replaced but I don't want to have to spend the money. The other Where Late The Sweet Birds Sang A Novel by Kate Wilhelm was the first book that really grabbed me and made me love to read back in 1977 or 1978. It is not in e version and not usually in bookstores because it is old. I really would love to discuss this with people because it intrigued me so much but nobody has read it. That is why I lent it out! Anyway I can order it still but again I should not have to pay the money!

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 1 comments Haha. I really don't mind the dog ears much but I hate when the pages start to fall out or the dust jackets and pages get ripped. I feel as though I then need to "retire" the book and cannot read it anymore.

message 10: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments I get a lot of library books and the last book had this really gross (throw up drop) looking thing in between the pages.

Also, for some reason (I don't want to guess) the covers are sticky.

I'm thisclose to wearing rubber gloves when I read.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie Raeder (raederkatie) | 153 comments LOL that is a new one Carolyn. I have not been to a Library since we moved to Germany (not many English books offered and those that are are from the 1970s)

I am happy to know that I am not alone in my OCD when it comes to books. Drives my husband batty and he doesn't understand why I need to buy 4 more books when I haven't read the 5 I just got. ( I have now read 3 of the 5 so I am getting there)

message 12: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureenbranham) | 28 comments My number one pet peeve isn't listed yet.....food stains or even bits of food. Yuck, major yuck!

message 13: by Teaberry (new)

Teaberry | 1 comments Diane wrote: "I hate when you just don't get the book back! I have two of my favorites that have been "borrowed" for over a year now. One The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons can easily be replaced but I don't ..."

Hi Diane. Just thought I'd mention that Mythgard Institute just had a "The Dystopian Tradition" class & we read Where Late The Sweet Birds Sang: A Novel. Here's a link to the course pack: http://shop.signumuniversity.org/prod...

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments Wow nice- did you like it?