Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

II. Publishing & Marketing Tips > What To Put On Business Cards?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 118 comments Hey everyone. Happy Monday. It's business time.

So, I'm gonna have my first ever author signing on December 2nd! I'm excited and I've already got my books bought. The only thing left are the business cards I plan to hand out during the signing (fingers still crossed the signing goes well)

Anyway, I've got a rough draft of the cards made up. They have my name, the title of my book series, my email contact, my facebook page AND my book's smashwords eBook download.

Of course it's all set up much more neatly than how I described it =) So, I guess my question is, am I missing anything? Any suggestions?

Thank you, awesome goodreaders!

~L.

message 2: by Shaun (last edited Nov 25, 2013 12:20PM) (new)

Shaun Horton | 248 comments I have book cards. One side is the cover of one of my books, and on the back it has my name, "Author", and links for my email, blog, and Facebook. I've thought about what else to put on there, but aside from possibly an actual picture of me, I think that's all bases covered.

message 3: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 916 comments I deviate from the norm. My protagonist is a freelance assassin who works under the name Loki Enterprises, so what I did is that I had a very businesslike business card made with

Loki Enterprises
Experts in fortunate accidents
Corporate troubleshooting
http://amsterdamassassin.wordpress.com/
http://tao-of-violence.weebly.com/

Mail for consults: katlasieltjes@yahoo.com

So, it looks like a business card for something shady, but when you check the links you find out it's suspense fiction.

message 4: by Harold (new)

Harold Kasselman Shaun wrote: "I have book cards. One side is the cover of one of my books, and on the back it has my name, "Author", and links for my email, blog, and Facebook. I've thought about what else to put on there, but ..."
That's what I have but I also bought postcards from Vistaprint and the book cover is on the front. The back has two vital questions posed which are the basis for the plot and themes.

message 5: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 274 comments L, what made you decide on business cards instead of bookmarks?

message 6: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 118 comments Martyn wrote: "I deviate from the norm. My protagonist is a freelance assassin who works under the name Loki Enterprises, so what I did is that I had a very businesslike business card made with

Loki Enterprises
..."

That's amazing, actually! :D

message 7: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 118 comments Gregor wrote: "L, what made you decide on business cards instead of bookmarks?"

Well, I already had the paper for business cards that my friend never used and I wanted to save money and print at home. Bookmarks are a great idea, hopefully I can hand those out at my next function.

message 8: by Martyn (last edited Nov 26, 2013 01:55AM) (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 916 comments L. wrote: "That's amazing, actually! :D"

I don't consider it particularly clever, but just smart marketing. That's why I called my blog 'Amsterdam Assassin Series', not 'Martyn V. Halm, author', or something like that.
People will forget my name, until they read my books, but they won't forget Amsterdam Assassin Series.

I think, if you write something like Sci-Fi about an interstellar smuggler, you could make a business card of his/her transportation services: "We Carry Your Stuff From Cygnus B to Capricorn One", or whatever.

message 9: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 509 comments Book cards! I never thought of that! What a cute idea.

message 10: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 118 comments Martyn wrote: "L. wrote: "That's amazing, actually! :D"

I don't consider it particularly clever, but just smart marketing. That's why I called my blog 'Amsterdam Assassin Series', not 'Martyn V. Halm, author', o..."

It certainly gives us much freedom imagination wise when we write fiction vs. nonfiction. My book series is adventure/fantasy about ninjas, so one of these days I'm gonna make a shuriken shaped bookmark or a katana sword shaped one! :D

message 11: by Martyn (last edited Nov 26, 2013 07:40AM) (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 916 comments L. wrote: "...I'm gonna make a shuriken shaped bookmark or a katana sword shaped one! :D "

Sounds cool.

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2165 comments Not exactly business cards but I've pimped out bookmarks so to speak. I make them large and then add the books synopsis, a poem about it along with ten fun tips about the book and it all goes on this oversized bookmark. It's fun and useful. I'm sure you could do it with a business card too, make it a bit bigger then normal and deck it out with information and fun things.