Audio-Bibliophiles discussion

General Discussion > A Little Help

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Krause | 18 comments Hello everyone,

I have been acting for many years and have only started to narrate audiobooks in the last couple. I have also been an audiobook listener since the days of audio cassettes. I'm not sure why it took me so long to realize I could combine my two passions (books and acting), but I suppose it's better late than never.

I've learned so much already, but I know there is still a lot of room for improvement. I think the best way to improve my skills is to listen to the people who are most knowledgeable about performance, the listeners.

I would love it any of you would take a listen to the samples on Audible. My audible narrator page link is below. I'm not asking anyone to buy, just listen and give me a little HONEST feedback on what you liked (if you did), what you didn't like (I'm sure there will be lots of that), and what you think I need to improve on. I have a very think skin, and this is only truly helpful if I get honest critiques.

Thank you!

http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_h...

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Krause | 18 comments Thank you, Joy. That was a fun read. I'm looking forward to your suggestions later!

message 3: by Paul, the ears have it (last edited Dec 02, 2013 04:33PM) (new)

Paul (paullev) | 20 comments Mod
I just listened to "Why I Left Judaism," and, though I don't agree at all with the opinion of the author :) , I thought your narration was excellent - good humor, clear, fine energy and style.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Krause | 18 comments Hey Paul, thanks for listening. Yeah, her first "reason" is definitely going to appeal to women more than men.
:-) Thanks for the comments. You are very kind.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Poetry is no doubt difficult, and I'm not sure the poems you read were very good ones. I think maybe you were a bit overdramatic.

In a Taste of Reality, I don't know the context. Are the characters supposed to be speaking a language unfamiliar to them? It seems, from the accents, like they're struggling. But I like the timbre of father & daughter - that's well-done, more so than other narrators I've heard.

Overall, I think you're doing great - clear & consistently paced & pleasant, with the right level of drama. Good luck!

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Krause | 18 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Poetry is no doubt difficult, and I'm not sure the poems you read were very good ones. I think maybe you were a bit overdramatic.

In a Taste of Reality, I don't know the context. Are the charact..."

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you so much for the comments.

You're right, poetry is pretty difficult and I've not had a lot of experience with it, and very little input from the poet/publisher. I'm not surprised I was a little dramatic on those. Being an actress, I tend to bring drama to just about everything. That's why I think I'm much more suited to fiction and novels.

I used the French accents to give a little exotic flavor to the piece (and since the setting for the first part was in France). I would have achieved that better if they had been a little smoother.

This is very helpful. Thanks again!

message 7: by Gaele (new)

Gaele | 5 comments Hi Karen - nice to meet you. I've reviewed Secret Diary of Alice in Wonderland Age 42 and 3/4 ... Barb is a friend that I have made through this whole reviewing/blogging journey. So - I've listened/reviewed you on that one.... I liked your Alice - you managed to give her that exasperated essence that she so often displays.. The wise guys had interesting inflections (very Jersey) and those weren't jarring. My one huge complaint is 'overdramatization' or overthinking a voice for a character - you managed to avoid the two big ones..

My suggestion - more isn't always better with drama - there are subtle manipulations and alterations to pacing and delivery that work better most times... Just as over-extending your natural range to make a voice unique - always feels false. Sometimes just the simple delivery pace can present a character with a better sense of who they are without pulling the listener away from the character because the voice is feeling 'false'.

Some of the best stories that I have listened to are accomplished with just minute manipulation of delivery in the pacing of a conversation, even adding a smile to a character's dialog throughout their appearance makes a huge impression.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Krause | 18 comments Gaele wrote: "Hi Karen - nice to meet you. I've reviewed Secret Diary of Alice in Wonderland Age 42 and 3/4 ... Barb is a friend that I have made through this whole reviewing/blogging journey. So - I've listene..."

Hi Gaele! Great to meet you, too. I read your review. I'm so glad you liked "Alice". Thank you for reviewing audiobooks. I know it takes a lot of time.

Good advice about toning down on drama. I believe my job is to enhance the author's words and intent, not overshadow it with unnecessary drama. At the same time, I want to make the listen interesting. I hope I can tread that fine line. That's what I strive for.