Radical Readers discussion

Absolutely True Diary PT Indian > What's in a name?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.E. Smoot (new)

L.E. Smoot Library (lesmoot) | 67 comments Mod
On his reservation,Alexie's main character is known as "Junior". But when he switches to a new high school, Reardan, people call him by his formal name, Arnold. "I feel like two different people in one body," he says. Do you think Junior/Arnold was just talking about his name? Or did he feel split in other ways too?

Why do you suppose Junior refers to himself as a "Part-Time Indian" in the title?

message 2: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (daisylibrarian) On his reservation,Alexie's main character is known as "Junior". But when he switches to a new high school, Reardan, people call him by his formal name, Arnold. "I feel like two different people in one body," he says. Do you think Junior/Arnold was just talking about his name? Or did he feel split in other ways too? - I think he was referring to both. He is torn from his life at the "rez" and his life at the white school. And his name being switched around like that just points it out.

Why do you suppose Junior refers to himself as a "Part-Time Indian" in the title? - Because he chooses to become something more than everyone else at the reservation, he wants to be something. This makes him a part-time white and a part-time Indian.