The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Book RECOMMENDATIONS

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AgCl (last edited Nov 25, 2013 07:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

AgCl i just need something to read. Not necessarily dystopian, but i would appreciate if anyone could recommend one since its so hard to find a respectable dystopian novel these days...but really, I dont care what genre it is as long as romance is not a central theme

Nikita Try Angelfall by Susan Ee. It's dystopian and very good. I mean I've never read anything like it before. If you want something not dystopian, you might like these;
The Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa
Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Soul Seekers by Alyson Noel

Leslie Deaton November 29th through January 1st the whole series is on sale - pick yours up and get lost in the magic!

description

A Marked Past (The Mercer Legacy, #1) by Leslie Deaton A History Renewed (The Mercer Legacy, #2) by Leslie Deaton A Destiny Unfolds The Mercer Legacy by Leslie Deaton The Mercer Legacy The Complete Series (Books 1-3) by Leslie Deaton

Amazon: The Mercer Legacy

message 5: by Kristen (last edited Nov 27, 2013 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray dark fantasy
The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore
Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi distopian
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

message 7: by Lauren (last edited Nov 30, 2013 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lauren AgCl wrote: "i just need something to read. Not necessarily dystopian, but i would appreciate if anyone could recommend one since its so hard to find a respectable dystopian novel these days...but really, I don..."

Do you prefer anti-authoritarian government or post-apocalyptic?

I can't view your shelves to see what you have already read so I might end up recommending something not your cup of tea or that you have already read.

Try:

T.M. Johnston I would recommend these two books

A Gang of Fellows (A Melody of Hope) by T. M. Johnston
The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks

A Gang of Fellows is by a newly published author but it's extremely good! A nothing-girl is swept from the city streets and entangled in a plot to stop the assassination of a princess, lest war break out across the land. I'm excited to see where he goes with the planned trilogy.

As for The Way of Shadows, definitely a fantastic trilogy by a popular author. A godking is taking over the land while a nothing-boy trains to be the greatest assassin the world has ever seen - and eventually the two will be in conflict that shakes the land.

You can preview both on Amazon.

AgCl Ok, thanks guys...

message 10: by Work_in_progress (last edited Dec 02, 2013 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Work_in_progress The darkest powers trilogy is really really good the first one is called the summoning second the reckoning third the awakening all by Kelley Armstrong

Veronica Megan wrote: "The darkest powers trilogy is really really good the first one is called the summoning second the reckoning third the awakening all by Kelley Armstrong"

second that

Rachel A new YA book out is A Hole In Time: An Elliot James Adventure by Jack C. Monroe. I'm already looking forward to the next release in the series. The first chapter starts a but muddily but it picks up a nice pace by the time you hit chapter 2. Enjoy!

Rachel The book I mentioned above, "a hole in time" reminds me of hunger games but with time travel. The characters in the future setting have basic needs struggles like limited electricity, food supply, etc.

Helen Stevens Sandra wrote: "Hey guys i'm posting here because there are many topics like this already and i don't want to spam and create a new one, i hope it's okay

I want to look for books that are similar to
THE HUNGER GA..."

The 5th Wave is great. Dystopian/post-apocalyptic, female teen survivor...well constructed, well set-up for a sequel. I raced through it, it was so good.

Helen Stevens Leslie wrote: "November 29th through January 1st the whole series is on sale - pick yours up and get lost in the magic!

A Marked Past (The Mercer Legacy, #1) by Leslie Deaton A History Renewed (The Mercer Legacy, #2) by Leslie Deaton [bookcove..."

Nice little self-plug there Leslie!

Did the job though as I've just bought book one to try out :D

Kudos!

Julia Mccord I would try...
Maze Runner -James Dashner
Divergent -Veronica Roth
Empty and The Bar Code tattoo -Suzanne Weyn
Ashes, Ashes- Jo Treggiari
Percy Jackson and the Olympians or The Heroes Of Olympus series -Rick Riordan

message 18: by Bridget (last edited Jan 28, 2014 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bridget I realize this thread's a little old, but the "Uglies" series by Scott Westerfeld is one that I've re-read several times. There is a wonderful sense of adventure and the scenery is highly imaginative. It's a really fun series. The 4th book is a little bit of a letdown, I admit, but still not terrible. The other 3 make it worth it. There's a little bit of romance, but it's sort of just on the side and doesn't really play a large part, as with so many of the YA novels we know and love.

Samuel Have you read Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank Bunker Gilbreth Junior and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey? I thought it was an entertaining and intriguing story. I don't know if you are looking for something that is a classic Biographical novel, but I thought it was very neat and memorable. In the least, it will probably make you think more about how you accomplish tasks more efficiently.

If you liked or loved The Hunger Games, you will most likely love Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. If you know Japanese, you can try reading the original text, but the original English translation by Yuji Oniki is simply awesome.

I don't know how old you are or how strictly you stick to books for readers of your age, but one excellent late elementary to late middle school children's story I have in mind is 100 Cupboards by N. D. Wilson. It should remind you of The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis, as well as The Pendragon Saga by D. J. MacHale, If you have read those.

Battle Royale

Another book I recommend is Wolf Brother, as well as the following books of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Saga by Michelle Paver. I have not read the last two yet, but I am very eager to read them.

One of several more YA to Adult fictional books I would recommend is Homeland (book one of The Dark Elf Trilogy) by R. A. Salvatore. Homeland is a fantasy that is more on the Sword-and-Sorcery side than Epic or High Fantasy and I think it is, in a fashion, dystopian. I have yet to read books two and three, so I don't know where the whole trilogy falls on the Fantasy spectrum. Reading Homeland is like an intellectual workout, in a way. It is not that hard to read, but reading it will probably make you think critically and/or creatively. The sword-fighting seems to have been well described, but it would be easier to watch than to read. I find it to be an intense story.

Sorry my comment is so long, I have a hard time condensing and narrowing down my recommendations.