Tudor Book Blog Book Club discussion

Book Selection and Update - November/December

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tudor Book Blog (thetudorbookblog) | 108 comments Mod
Hi all!
I want to try something a little different with the next book. I haven’t been able to lead the conversation as much as I want (due to a very busy schedule), and would like to enlist your help the next go around. Would anyone be interested in helping me moderate the discussions? If you volunteer, you would take a section of the next book and post a few thoughts, questions, or whatever strikes your fancy, then help guide and keep the conversation going. I am happy to start it off, but would love some extra help as we progress. This would help me tremendously, as well as get you all involved even more! Let me know what you think.

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakrapf) | 74 comments I'd be happy to help!

That's great Paula! I really appreciate it :)

I've also created a new poll to choose our next book. One member suggested going back and forth between fiction and non-fiction. I love this idea, so have selected a few non-fiction books that were suggested on the discussion board. Feel free to vote for one listed, or write in your own choice!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/9...

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakrapf) | 74 comments Tudor Book Blog wrote: "That's great Paula! I really appreciate it :)"

Very happy to help out, it's fun to read a book with a group interested in the same topics, and to read and share opinions :)

It looks like "The First Queen of England: The Myth of 'Bloody Mary'" has won the poll! I am excited to read about Mary. I feel she gets dismissed by many historians as being a very eccentric and emotional female. I'm interested to learn more about her as a ruler and person, and see how much is myth...

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakrapf) | 74 comments I'm glad this book was picked too - I think there's been a lot of misinformation about her!

message 8: by Lynsay (new)

Lynsay | 32 comments Tudor Book Blog wrote: "It looks like "The First Queen of England: The Myth of 'Bloody Mary'" has won the poll! I am excited to read about Mary. I feel she gets dismissed by many historians as being a very eccentric and e..."

I have read it and found it fantastic, and look forward to reading it again! Mary's one of my favourite historical figures and I find her the most fascinating Tudor monarch.

message 9: by Eva (new)

Eva Sorry to say this book is not on audio, so I will not be able to join this month. I look forward to reading your posts.

message 10: by Val (new)

Val I have often wondered what sort of queen Mary would have been without the upheaval of the divorce, reformation, her father threatening to kill her, arguments over the succession and all the rest of it. She would probably not have been emotional or eccentric if things had gone smoothly for her in her youth.

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakrapf) | 74 comments Val wrote: "I have often wondered what sort of queen Mary would have been without the upheaval of the divorce, reformation, her father threatening to kill her, arguments over the succession and all the rest of..."

All great points... and if things had been normal, Mary would have been trained to be Queen, and I think her mother's influence would have been very positive. She had such a tragic, unhappy life instead.

message 12: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (jameycat) I just picked up the book from the library today...in anticipation of it being picked. Looking forward to starting it.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jen24) | 3 comments Good choice-looking forward to reading it! When do we start?

message 14: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (jameycat) I started today - maybe too early? But it was the next book up for me. Haven't gotten too far with it but I like the way it reads so far...am thinking I should be learning from this one :)

message 15: by Val (new)

Val I picked it up and started it today as well, but I can put it on hold for a while if we are not due to start yet.
I think there may be a few people who have not quite finished "Dissolution".

message 16: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

I figured we could start our new discussions on Dec. 15th, to give everyone time to get and start the book. I will get the board for the new book up this afternoon! :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I have kindled it! Looking forward to reading this book. I have read quite a bit about Queen Mary. This book will add to my knowledge.:)

message 18: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

I'm actually going to post the new board on Sunday, so it doesn't bump Dissolution down and make it hard to find. I will let you guys know when it's up.

Paula has have offered to help lead some of the discussions this go around (THANK YOU!!!). If anyone else wishes to help also, please let me know. I will post a separate thread for those who wish to lead, where we can divide up the book and discuss how we wish to proceed.

message 19: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakrapf) | 74 comments Sounds good! I'm looking forward to reading this book.

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Collins Unfortunately I am going to have to give this month a miss. At this time of year I cannot really justify a new book when I have a huge stack waiting to be read, but I look forward to reading everyones views on it and the choices for January's books.

message 21: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

There was a slight delay in my book's arrival! It should be here by tomorrow. I will update the board then, and we can begin discussing. I will lead the first round, then pass it on. Let's say (until I can glance at it tomorrow) at least the first three chapters for our discussions this week. I will update in more detail tomorrow!

message 22: by Val (new)

Val I have read some of this one and then put it on hold, so I will go back to it as soon as yours arrives and you give the go-ahead. I have enjoyed what I have read so far, but will save any more detailed impressions for later.

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakrapf) | 74 comments I've also started reading this book - it's really quite interesting, and I can't wait to see what others think about it.