Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Kelley Armstrong
This topic is about Kelley Armstrong
Archives (maybe Revisit) > Series Read: Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments

Women of the Otherworld is the name of a fantasy series by Canadian author Kelley Armstrong.

The books feature werewolves, witches, necromancers, sorcerers, and vampires struggling to fit as "normal" in today's world. The series also includes novellas and short stories

If you're interested in reading the series, just pop in and tell us your thoughts about the book you are currently reading.

Since they are 13 books so far, and some of us can't wait to the next month to read the next book, this is a series read without schedule, meaning, you don't have to worry about which book you are reading at the moment. Some of us are just starting. Some of us are in books #3 or #7. Some of us are re-reading the series.

Just join the fun!

Rules & How to
1. Identify the book you are commenting
2. Comments ALWAYS under spoiler tags

And I'm serious. Don't spoil anyone or I'll be forced to delete comments - don't worry, you'll get a warning to add the tag first.

Goodreads order for short-stories
Author's site

Books Published
Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2) by Kelley Armstrong Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4) by Kelley Armstrong Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5) by Kelley Armstrong Broken (Women of the Otherworld, # 6) by Kelley Armstrong No Humans Involved (Women of the Otherworld, #7) by Kelley Armstrong Personal Demon (Women of the Otherworld, #8) by Kelley Armstrong Living with the Dead (Women of the Otherworld, #9) by Kelley Armstrong Frostbitten (Women of the Otherworld, #10) by Kelley Armstrong Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, #11) by Kelley Armstrong Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld, #12) by Kelley Armstrong Thirteen (Women of the Otherworld, #13) by Kelley Armstrong

message 2: by Sonia (last edited Nov 25, 2013 05:13AM) (new)

message 3: by Sonia (last edited Nov 25, 2013 05:15AM) (new)

message 4: by Sonia (last edited Dec 05, 2013 02:38AM) (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Dime store magic Il destino di una strega by Kelley Armstrong Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Nacht der Hexen by Kelley Armstrong Magie de pacotille (Femmes de l'autremonde, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Magie de doi bani (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong

Nicole and I will be reading Dime Store Magic on December 14. Feel free to join us :o)

Sinopsis
Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world's most powerful elite organizations- the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige's wildest antics can't hold a candle to those of her new charge- an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil... and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder- and frame Paige for the crime. It's an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive.

Previous Discussion

message 5: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) I'll be starting book 2 Stolen here soon. I'm waiting to get it from my local library.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Sonia, do we have a discussion thread for Dime Store Magic?

message 7: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Nope. I was thinking on doing all the books here, after the visits of the threads for bitten and a stolen I don't think this series needs 13 different threads. We already had one for Dime Story Magic (link on message #4).

Besides, if it works for Dresden, it will also works here, don't you agree?

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Definitely!

message 9: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 160 comments I've only read "Bitten" so far. Not sure when I can get to the other ones, but I know I liked it enough to want to read at least book 2, and see how the series is progressing.

message 10: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Agghhhhh I am late. So So late.

Sorry Nicole, RL (and Kate and Curran too) got in the way and I'm still on chapter 2, I think, of Stolen.

Just go ahead and I'll be catching up as soon as I can!

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments No worries! It'll give me time to catch up with Mistborn ;)

Hope nothing was bad while you were away in real life. Noticed you hadn't posted for a little while.

message 12: by Lisa Kay (last edited Apr 12, 2014 12:55AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Alright, just to let you all know, I started Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong on audio yesterday. I'm enjoying it. I know, I know; I'm late to the party.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Reading Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2) by Kelley Armstrong now. Does anyone else think it strange that (view spoiler)?

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I've read both Bitten and Stolen and enjoyed both. I haven't read Dime Store Magic because when I reserved it at the library and it was on hold for me, I was away and wasn't able to pick it up. So of course I forgot about it. I'm going it reserve it again so that I can actually finish the series because she has other series that I'd like to check out. Oh by the way when are you guys starting Dime Store Magic?

message 15: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Carmen, I think some people already read DSM in December; however, I'll get to it in a month or two, I hope.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments That's seems about right for me, hahahaha

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I guess I'll be behind with you, Lisa Kay.

message 18: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments That's good. At least someone is with me. LOL!

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I was one of the people who read DSM in December. I'm taking a bit of a break now but I'm sure I'll be ready to join back in when you guys are up to Industrial Magic.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments LOL Lisa Kay

Nicole is that the next book?

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Lisa Kay wrote: "That's good. At least someone is with me. LOL!"

Don't worry, you're definitely not alone. I'm also one of the slackers with this series.

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Yes, Carmen, it is :)

message 23: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Lauren wrote: "Don't worry, you're definitely not alone. I'm also one of the slackers with this series."

Since you are only one ahead of me, maybe I'll catch up. ☺

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Lisa Kay wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Don't worry, you're definitely not alone. I'm also one of the slackers with this series."

Since you are only one ahead of me, maybe I'll catch up. ☺"

I usually wait between installments so you will probably be caught up by the time I continue with Dime Store Magic.

message 25: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 23 comments I just finished Dime Store Magic. I'd love to read along but I don't think I can wait that long for you guys to catch up before I read Industrial Magic.

message 26: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Go ahead Juliane. I think we already did a discussion for Industrial Magic a couple of weeks ago, I'll bring back the thread for you to discuss it without worrying with spoilers.

I still have Stolen to read - bad Sonia.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm a little over the halfway mark of Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2) by Kelley Armstrong and am quite disappointed in Elena's character. Where is the strong, kick-ass heroine of the first book? She seems to have forgotten that she is a werewolf and allows (view spoiler)

message 28: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments **chuckles** Okay. I peeked under Lauren's spoiler. Woot! ☺ I did finish #1, but haven't started #2... I don't think I will for a while... too many books to catch up on.

message 29: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "**chuckles** Okay. I peeked under Lauren's spoiler. Woot! ☺ I did finish #1, but haven't started #2... I don't think I will for a while... too many books to catch up on."

Yeah me too. Although I wasn't a naughty girl and didn't try the shinning spoiler

message 30: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I couldn't help it, Sonia. It was calling my name. LOL!

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Naughty, naughty, Lisa Kay!

message 32: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments **hee hee** You know me and spoilers. No impulse control.

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Yup! They are very tempting :0)

message 34: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I liked the first book, but as the story progressed, I had a hard time figuring out (view spoiler)

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Lisa Kay wrote: "I liked the first book, but as the story progressed, I had a hard time figuring out [spoilers removed]"

Lol! Yes, that one is difficult to figure out.

It took me a while, but I also ultimately ended up liking her. She has an amazing strength of will.
Nevertheless, it did bother me that she wasn't (view spoiler).

On the other hand, if she had (view spoiler)

message 36: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Ditto.

message 37: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I thought the mystery was pretty good, I was trying to figure out if the killer was someone within the pack; but (view spoiler)

message 38: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Ditto."

Same here.

message 39: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Do you watch the TV show? Elena, Clay, Jeremy, Nicholas and his father are well chosen IMO

message 40: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments No, I haven't seen it. I can get it on SyFy, but only from Episode #9 onward. I could purchase the first #1-8 on Amazon... but I haven't decided if it is worth it, yet.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I watched the first 3 episodes but wasn't that impressed. I did like the actors who played Elena, Clay and Jeremy but the CGI wolves were too ridiculous for words.

There were also some changes to the plot that I didn't understand.

message 42: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Yes, I heard the CGI wolves were nothing to write home about. Or would that be 'text' home about now? ☺

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Yes, it probably would, lol!

message 44: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments I've only watched the first 4 or 5 I think.

I'm kinda irritated they changed the story a little and the deaths too.

But I love Clay's accent. And beard. And abs. And... well... let me put it this way: He makes plaid shirts to look good.

The proof

message 45: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Lauren wrote: "I watched the first 3 episodes but wasn't that impressed. I did like the actors who played Elena, Clay and Jeremy but the CGI wolves were too ridiculous for words.

There were also some changes to..."

Yes, the CGI wolves are awful...

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I was hoping the wolves would be more like the ones n the Twilight movies (those are the ones I picture when reading) but they look so funny and walk with this really weird loping gait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wWwo...

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Sonia wrote: "But I love Clay's accent. And beard. And abs. And... well... let me put it this way: He makes plaid shirts to look good."

He certainly does ... ;0)

message 48: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Yeah, Lauren, their gait is really strange. Kind of like the old animatronics. I've seen the ones from the Twilight movie (though, I haven't seen the movie) and I agree; they are done well.

message 49: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Lauren wrote: "I was hoping the wolves would be more like the ones n the Twilight movies (those are the ones I picture when reading) but they look so funny and walk with this really weird loping gait.

https://w..."

I didn't thought of twilight wolves... those would be perfect for this show.

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I guess there wasn't much left in the production budget for the wolves :0(

« previous 1