readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > New take on classic fairytales

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stella (last edited Nov 25, 2013 01:39AM) (new)

Stella | 30 comments I am really addicted to "Once Upon a Time" (the TV show) and I want to read something that does the same thing with classic fairytale characters.
It can be YA.

No vampires or magicians,please.

Looking forward to your tips.

message 2: by Enkhjargal59 (new)

Enkhjargal59 | 1 comments I am addicted too in once upon a time. It is driving me crazy

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 77 comments I know nothing about the TV show, but a few authors who explored faitytale characters in modern settings:

Neil Gaiman - American Gods; Ananasi Boys; The Sandman comic books

Catherynne Valente - Deathless (Russian mythology) ; The Girl Who ... (Faeries)

Jim C Hines - The Princess series ( Snow White, Cinderella and Red Riding Hood as kickass fighters in a magic kingdom)

Kevin Hearne - The Iron Druid ( more paranormal crime thriller with ancient gods mixed in)

Martin Millar - The Good Fairies of New York

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 24 comments The Fables series by Bill Willingham is a comic-book take on modern fairytale characters. The first book isFables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile.

My personal favorite fairytale retellings aren't necessarily similar to Once Upon a Time, but here they are anyway:

Briar Rose - Sleeping Beauty as a World War II story
A Curse Dark As Gold - Rumplestiltskin set in a textile mill

And some I haven't personally read but might be of interest to you:
Cinder - Cinderella as a cyborg
Sisters Red - Red Riding Hood with two sisters who are werewolf-hunters

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 24 comments I am also a big fan of the October Daye books by Seanan McGuire, which are about faeries in modern-day San Francisco. Rosemary and Rue is the first book.

message 6: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 185 comments There is a series of books by Mercedes Lackey that are retellings of classic fairy tales. The series is Elemental Masters. I haven't read all of them, because I'm not a big fan of retellings, but I did like the few I read. My favorite was Phoenix and Ashes.

message 7: by Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ (last edited Nov 26, 2013 10:18AM) (new)

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ | 20 comments Tigerheart is a re-imagining of Peter Pan. I thought this would be good since Once Upon a Time is currently in its Peter Pan and Neverland stage.

I also second Neil Gaiman and Cinder.

My sister just read The Looking Glass Wars which is a sci-fi version of Alice and Wonderland. It is the first in a trilogy.

Hope this helps!

message 8: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
i actually made a couple of lists on this topic for work - there is one for YA and one for adult. if you don't mind waiting until monday, i can send you a link. they won't be annotated or anything, but at least there will be a huge pool from which to draw.

message 9: by Stella (new)

Stella | 30 comments Thank you so much for all the suggestions, I am checking them out.

Yes, Karen, please I want the link.

Thank you.

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Rose | 3 comments Definitely Neil Gaiman and Catherynne M Valente, I'd also really recommend The Book of Lost Things by John Connelly, which is a kind of mash up of fairytale tropes and folklore. Also if you want to go darker Tanith Lee has a Snow White retelling, White as Snow, or Deerskin by Robin McKinley, which is very dark but really brilliant! Robin McKinley's done some lighter fairytale rewrites too, like Beauty. Oh, and another Beauty and the Beast retelling set in ancient Ireland called Hearts Blood, by Juliet Marillier, is lovely if you don't mind it being a bit more removed from the original story :)

message 11: by Hester (new)

Hester (hesterprine) | 23 comments There is a collection of fairy tales as modern stories it's called My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales.

message 12: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
right! thanks for the reminder. here is a kind of messy and incomplete list - i don't really have another way of surfacing the titles, but this is a list of books based on/referencing fairy tales or myths. hopefully, this will be somewhat useful:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/97818...

message 13: by ༺Kiki༻ (new)

༺Kiki༻ (kim-mari) | 1 comments While not strictly a retelling, you might like Philip Pullman's wonderfully dark translation of Grimm's tales, Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version.

Add another vote for Deathless. Everything written by Catherynne Valente is overflowing with beautiful prose and fantastical, mythical, faery-tale goodness.

You might also enjoy:
Six-Gun Snow White
retelling of Snow White set in old west

Bitter Greens
retelling of Rapunzel

The Wild Girl
retelling of the Grimm Brothers

Far Far Away
retelling of (view spoiler)

Book of a Thousand Days
retelling of Maid Maleen

Princess of the Midnight Ball and series
retelling of Twelve Dancing Princesses, each book in the series twists a different tale

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
East
Ice
Retellings of East of the Sun, West of the Moon

Snow in Summer
retelling of Snow White set in Appalachia

Scarlet
retelling of Robin Hood

Rags & Bones
anthology of faery-tale retellings

Snow White, Blood Red Anthology Series

message 14: by Stella (new)

Stella | 30 comments Thank you so much, I am certainly marking many of them as "to- read".

message 15: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 185 comments Ella Enchanted. Cinderella retelling with a feminist twist. The heroine saves herself instead of waiting for her Prince.

I haven't read it myself but i understand it is not at all like the movie of the same name. Also, although it was written for young adults, it is recommended by many adults.