Q2L 10 ELA discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
10D Weekly Discussion Threads > 10D Week 12 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David, Teacher (new)

David Patterson (MrPatterson) | 79 comments Mod
Sometimes the minor characters in a book are more interesting than the major characters (or at least the protagonist and the antagonist). Select a minor character from a book you're reading now, or a book you've read in the past.

What's the title of the book, and what's the minor character's name? Why is this minor character interesting? What is it that made this minor character memorable to you?

message 2: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Charity | 19 comments The minor character that I am selecting is Ethan Nakumura from The Last Olympian. He stood out to me the most because for most of the story he would just be Kronos's lackey. But later you see that he was just trying to bring respect to his mother, Nemisis goddess of revenge. And in the end he dies trying to help the world

message 3: by Superocp (new)

Superocp | 22 comments The title of the book is called "Doctor Sleep" and a minor character would be Momo. She is the grandmother of Abra and is the step mother of Dan. This character is interesting because we later on find out that she has secrets about being on Abra and Dan are related. When I found this out, I wondered if there is more to Momo than the author gives us in text. The only thing I can think of that's memorable about this character is her way of speaking. While I'm reading, I would come across Momo speaking Italian. This would have me wonder what she is saying and how it relates to the book.

message 4: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt | 21 comments My book is called the Adventures of Ton Sawyer and the minor characters name is Jim, a "small colored boy" who Tom helps with his work as he tells him about his adventures. He is interesting because he is young and impressionable, and seems to look up to Tom. Tom causes a lot of mischef so this may be a bad thing.

message 5: by Kyrese (new)

Kyrese Adams | 23 comments I am reading the house of night series and the minor character is dragon. Dragon is important because he teaches them how to defend themselves. He always seemed like he was good until his wife died and this turned him.

message 6: by Max (new)

Max | 25 comments In looking for Alaska Alaska is a bit more interesting than Miles. Even though Miles is the main character. Alaska is definitely a very important part of the story of course because its basically all about her.

message 7: by Angelica (new)

Angelica Sullivan | 24 comments In the fault in our stars, i think augustus is more interesting and different then grace the main character because he thinks of cancer differently and embraces his illness while grace just thinks she's going to die and cant stop it. He is memorable to me because he changed grace's life and the direction of the book

message 8: by Christian (new)

Christian B (nyc123) | 15 comments In the book i read "Room" by Emma Donnahue the minor character or characters are all of the non admit objects. All of these objects were the little boys friends. Like Dresser, Rug, and Bed were all hid friends. These minor characters were interesting for me because they didn't speak, didn't interact, and didn't do anything but in the child's mind they did everything. They were memorable because it made me sad that they were all he had. It was amazing the way the author wrote the book because it made me believe they were actually his friends and not these non living objects.

message 9: by Luis (new)

Luis Angel | 17 comments An interesting side character in a book I read Vo Spader from Pendragon. He undergoes through many changes through the story, going from a happy go-lucky kind of guy to a resentful, out of control man in search of revenge. He' memorable to me because I find my personality to be somewhat similar to mine.

message 10: by Kai (new)

Kai | 23 comments The minor character that I have chosen is Finn, Charlie's son in the novel Tommy's Tale by Alan Cumming

This character was memorable to me because he added a extra level on complication to the already complicated book. Tommy doesn't know when he meets Charlie that he has a 8 year old son. Finn also adds some what of a comic relief from a scarily realistic book

message 11: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Baez | 7 comments My book that i read was the Mockingjay and I think the minor character would have to be Peter in this book even though he wasn't in the previous books but you learn or hear little about him until the end. He was interesting when the book actually talk about him because he was in a different area then everyone was. He also had a big impact on everyone in the book as well or even better than the major character

message 12: by Denise (new)

Denise Pu-folkes | 8 comments The minor character I chose is Mary Elizabeth from Perks of Being a Wallflower. I think Mary Elizabeth is an interesting character because she is very interested in social issues and she exposed the protagonist, Charlie, to a lot of things. She's memorable because she stands out from the rest of the characters in the book.

message 13: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Saab | 13 comments Well one minor character I can't forget is Bruno's Father. This character is from "The boy in striped pajama's" . This character is so memorable because of how cruel he was to the Jews. Though he seemed nice he only cared about his family.

message 14: by De'asia (last edited Dec 20, 2013 08:44AM) (new)

De'asia Glenn | 5 comments The title is Of mice and men and the character's name is Curley's Wife. Shes interesting because I don't really know her game yet, shes trying to get with Lennie and not George which is weird because George is the mature one. I remember Curley's wife because she's someone that everyone pays attention to and is trying to get Lennie's attention the most, and she also never really got a name , shes just represented as Curley's wife.

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 23 comments My book is called The Ultimate Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy. One minor character I liked is Marvin. He is a robot of extreme intelligence who is chronically depressed because his inventors forgot to add his capability to be happy. He often pops up randomly in the story at certain times. Also he is in perpetual "pain" because the diodes on his left side have never been replaced.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.