Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Obama Takes Aim at Fox News

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 17, 2009 09:11AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/...

I don't know...I can understand the frustration...but didn't Bush complain that CNN hated him at one point?

Fox News is wild, though. It's like a window into a whole different world. I don't hate that world...I just don't go there often. The regular Fox News viewers probably feel just as removed from NPR.

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Fox News is sensational...as in yellow journalism. Least that's my opinion ;)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Fox is not really news. It's editorial opinion (as is MSNBC), which is fine, except that that's not how they present themselves.

message 4: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Ron Paul >>>> Obama.

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) The only time I endure Fox News is when I'm at the gym, and most of the flat-screens are either tuned into Fox or CNN. From what I gather from Fox, it's usually Obama this and Obama that, like he's some malevolent cult leader shepherding America into some kind of moral/financial/political apocalypse. Really, some of the shit these so-called pundits spew out of their mouths is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous are the people that accept every word that O'Retard, Beck and Hannity say verbatim, and without argument. Sad, really.

Jackie is correct; Fox, MSNBC, CNN are not "news"; they're editorial content. As much as Fox's slogan of "We Report, You Decide" is really "We Report, We'll Decide", all the so-called "news" stations adhere to that very same false slogan.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Matt wrote: "Ron Paul >>>> Obama."

wtf?

message 7: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Dunno. Guess I don't swoon over him like you and Sally.

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I get all my news from Stephen Colbert. That's as much truthiness that I need.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Swoon? Oh that's clever.

message 10: by Nuri (last edited Jul 12, 2009 04:02AM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Whereas I don't pay attention to the Obama family's daily comings and goings, I do think his election was a momentous event in this country's history, and I think we're better off for having him. Maybe he doesn't have superhero powers, and maybe he's not Einstein, but after eight years of having all the patriotism drained out of me, I feel a little hope when I think we're going in a different direction. It's not his fault the media keeps blowing all the wrong things out of proportion.

I mean, seriously: It could have been a lot worse.

message 11: by Nuri (last edited Jul 11, 2009 11:13PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Eh, I guess my point is that I don't think it's such a contemptible thing to love your president. I mean, that was the idea, right? That we'd pick someone to stand by?

So I don't have an Obama button, and I don't know what color Michelle wore today... but the people who do? That's fine, too. I'm happy to have a president who will let me travel internationally without needing to duck my head in shame.

When I visited France around Bush's re-election, I had to pretend I didn't speak English to get service sometimes -- or at least to not be assaulted with a "WTF is America's problem" rant.

message 12: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I voted for Obama. I don't like him, though. I feel sorry for those who put their faith in him. Politicians always disappoint.

It's true that Bush damaged the country's image with his idiocy. The last eight years were rather uncomfortable.

I wonder how long it'll take for the celebrity appeal of Obama to wear off? When he ceases to be "hip"? What'll he give us then? More empty promises and more "change"?

I had a lengthy discussion with an economics professor from my university. He warns of hyperinflation as a result of this wonderful stimulus package.

People are very, very dumb for blindly following this man.

I have much to say on the matter.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 12, 2009 05:06AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I agree that the news outlets these days are hard to respect. I used to be able to watch CNN, but lately esp. Headline News is all about lost children and stupidass human interest stories like a duck that wore a tuxedo at a wedding or whatever. I don't care how gorgeous Robin Meade is, I can't watch.

I also see Obama doing as best he can, and I think he's doing some good, but I'm not sure that patience will reign with all the jobless, etc. Sometimes I think he's trying to run the country like it was Google or Apple...with that hip, coolster approach...and I doubt that's going to work. There was an air of confidence early in the term that people may begin to perceive as arrogance. And the huge, sweeping changes his administration is trying to make seem reasonable and revolutionary more often than not...but...people don't always embrace huge, sweeping changes. I heard polls in some of the swing states, e.g. Ohio are showing support falling quickly for him. Some Republicans must be salivating...but...really...who's going to run for them, you know? I'm worried about a reactionary far-right conservative (and I'm fairly conservative in some areas) coming into office, reversing everything that Obama started, and really f--king things up.

Obama is only one facet of the next decade's story. We'll see how this plays out.

message 14: by Jessica (last edited Jul 12, 2009 12:02PM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) I like Obama, but I don't like his bailouts, and I'm not at all sure his economics solution will do what is needed.
But having an intelligent man in the White House after the idiocy and arrogance of Bush, well, it's a relief to say the least.
not to mention Bush's warfare, his "war on terror"...

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, I agree...he's had a free pass with following a jackass. When I first became an administrator I followed someone who struggled immensely...that made my job much easier.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) yeah, good one.

message 17: by Little Sparrow (new)

Little Sparrow (Ella) (LittleSparrow) I like getting my news from NPR or the Colbert Report. The Daily Show is good, too.

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Social satire is how I like to receive news as well.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Little Sparrow is brand new to TC. Welcome to the monkey house.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I must be a house over from you in the Large Primate house.

I second Larry's welcome Little Sparrow.

I'm a Chickadee man myself.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jim wrote: "I'm a Chickadee man myself."

As was W C Fields.