Time Travel discussion

Time Travel TV Shows > Dr Who "Official" thread and 50th Anniversary Special - Spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tej (last edited Nov 24, 2013 08:14PM) (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
Rather than mentioning this Time Lord in random space time, lets have a proper Go To place to go for all things Dr Who, shall we :) Lets start with the 50th Anniversary special.

Unfortunately, I am not actually a big fan of Dr Who...

...wait, rewind, what?!? what is this blasphemy I hear you cry?!? Well look, I was patiently waiting for your responses to the epic 50th Anniversary tribute that aired this week...and well I couldnt bloody wait any longer...perhaps it was so good you couldnt speak??

Well I dont blame you. What a fantastic no expense spared tribute to this great British time travel icon. So good that I almost want to watch all recent shows I've missed.

I'm still not convinced that Dr Who is a proper time travel series despite the fact the good doctor is doing nothing else but time travel but for goodness sake, the series makes absolutely no sense in terms of cause and effect. Its just complete utter nonsense in that respect!

What is great about the series, though, is the good doctor himself. Its the wacky charisma of each generation persona that steals the show together with the furiously paced witty dialogue, relationship building with his lovely assistants and most important of all, an essence of heart and soul. Those are the ingredients that attract me personally to this series...when I am bothered to watch it so ironically, its not the time travel element at all.

Yet, even though the stories are absolute bonkers, they often have their charm and frequently makes me care what happens even though at the back of my mind, nothing makes bloody sense in the grand scheme of things.

So with that Dr Who style pre-amble out of the way, what did I think of the 50 year anniversary?

Bloody brilliant. Oh wait, I already said that didnt I? SO much for my skills in suspense.

Of course Dr Who is an absolute craze in Britain, so much so that airing of the epic 75 min anniversary special was shown simultaneously at most cinemas in 3D too.

Its clear from the dazzling special effects of Star Wars magnitude, that the BBC spared no expense with our licence money (over here, we all have to pay a mandatory annual licence fee to watch BBC channels as long as there is a TV in the house). I regret I didnt do that now. No, not the damn license fee, I paid that, I mean I regret as an avid cinema goer, that I didnt join the fans at the cinema (obviously I would have had to zip my mouth about not being such a big fan).

So what made this special episode um...special? Well to commemorate 50 years of the wacky doctors, Steven Moffat, the brilliant writer who arguably wrote the best Dr Who episodes and also the utterly fantastic BBC Sherlock series, exercised his creativity to produce a marvelous story that gives us the foundation that of which makes Dr Who, Dr Who. And you know what? This actually has proper real time travel in it! The sort of time travel that has cause and effect. Finally, they figured out how to use time travel device properly (alright then, there were the odd past classic episodes such as Blink that remembered how to use it well). But this one is significant (as well as delightful). This is about The Doctor himself and I actually cant imagine a better premise to commemorate his anniversary.

The great British thespian actor John Hurt actually stars in this one, giving this show some serious gravitas while the welcome return of the enormously enjoyable David Tenant provides the belly rolling laughs (he is very very funny in this). Matt Lewis continues his marvelous run in his own way too. The merging of the Doctors is a joy to watch as the head scratching time travel plot accelerates to 88mph (ooops wrong franchise). The plethora of references to past Dr Who generations shows, many of which will go over the younger generation's heads are so well done to satisfy every generation of fans way back to those that grew up with the 60s origins.

Having grown up with several incarnations of Dr Who, this epic cleverly utilises major points of the show's history. There is a ridiculous save the world sub plot (of course, its the norm for every episode in this series) but it only serves as a secondary backdrop to the real heart of the show, what makes the Doctor, the Doctor. Its a great story and will say nothing more of it.

As a true fan, you I'm talking to, not me, you will love this I am sure. This special drives so much spirit of fun into me and a letter of love to the Dr Who's of the past that I envy the true fans and wished I followed this seriously with a little more faith.

So if you have not seen this episode yet (I believe this episode was broadcasted simultaneously with America?), then what hell are you waiting for..huh?

9/10

message 2: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
Tej! Quick! Change where you called Matt Smith, Matt Lewis and you can save yourself some Whovian credibility!

message 3: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

I am also looking forward to having a Dr. Who discussion thread. I think that's a great idea. I can echo your sentiments on "Blink." That was an amazing episode, one I frequently have potential new fans watch so they get a dose of how good the writing can be. (because like you said, it isn't always easy to follow) Looking forward to more people's thoughts. I need to go back and watch the 50th again myself because I walked in on the showing late and missed a bit of the beginning. Definitely plenty there to rewatch anyway. One of the most action packed episodes ever and very enjoyable.

message 4: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Maybe this, posted last week, should go in this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!
I'm still not convinced that Dr Who is a proper time travel series despite the fact the good doctor is doing nothing else but time travel but for goodness sake, the series makes absolutely no sense in terms of cause and effect. Its just complete utter nonsense in that respect!

I couldn't agree more. How do we save the world today? Turn a toaster into a bowtie and fling it into the abyss. Duh. Perfectly logical! Actually, it seems that the old Doctor Who fans are the ones who have this complaint whereas the new Doctor Who fangirls can't see the plotholes for going gaga over cute Doctors. But, really? Matt Smith? Not cute. However, his personality does grow on you. So, like you said, its appeal does become its characters.

What a fantastic no expense spared tribute to this great British time travel icon. So good that I almost want to watch all recent shows I've missed.

Don't. You'll find yourself disappointed, but the 50th anniversary special? Brilliant. I had to force myself to watch the last few episodes what with their requirements for me to suspend logic, turn off my brain, not notice plot holes, and not notice Doctor Who world rule contradictions. Maybe watch the last episode so that you can find out who Clara really is. And the ghost episode is definitely interesting. Otherwise? Meh.

And you know what? This actually has proper real time travel in it! The sort of time travel that has cause and effect.

Ha. Maybe that's why I actually enjoyed it this time around. Yes, there were still plotholes big enough to drive trucks through, but they did finally use time travel in an interesting way. I think the plothole that bothered me most was whatever happened to the Zygons? One moment they didn't know whether they were Zygon or human and the next moment they were gone. So now everyone has doubles running around? What happened to that storyline? ARGH!!!!

And how unfortunate that one of the doubles is a fangirl. As if there aren't enough of those out there already. :P

I'm wondering how they're going to manage this "reboot". It's not an entire reboot, but it's nice to see them use time travel finally as a way to undo a horrible wrong. And what better way to do it than to get all the Doctors to "help" move Gallifrey to its pocket universe over there somewhere. Brilliant. But how is that going to change the Doctor? It seems like his old incarnations are supposed to all remember destroying Gallifrey whereas the current incarnation of the Doctor remembers saving Gallifrey? Am I reading the ending correctly? So now we have a Doctor who has carried the weight of the memory of causing the death of billions. However, he's also saved them. I think he's going to need a shrink for his next companion.

It was a surprise to see Tom Baker at the end. To me, he's THE DOCTOR because he's the one I grew up seeing in reruns on public television. I had to laugh at his little Matt Smith dialogue.

Anyhow, overall, I was pleasantly surprised that I left the theater actually WANTING to see the next season of Doctor Who. I could be a fan again (albeit not a "fangirl") if they could get in some proper writers to work with what Moffat has given us. Or if Moffat could just accumulate someone in his life who is willing to tell him when he's he's written a piece of holey rubbish that needs a re-write, I could deal with that, too.

message 6: by Tej (last edited Nov 26, 2013 01:57PM) (new)

Amy wrote: "SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!
I'm still not convinced that Dr Who is a proper time travel series despite the fact the good doctor is doing nothing else but time travel but for goodness sake, the ..."

Fangirl fangirl! Naa-naa! Awesome, you actually went to the cinema to see it, so cool. Wait, so they showed in cinemas over there too?! Wow, I thought it would only be in UK they would do that, I am always underestimating the reach of Dr Who's fandom.

So what was the atmosphere like? Lots of cheers when Tennant or Rose appeared etc...what about when (view spoiler), I actually punched the air at home when I realised who that was, what a surprise...but so confused, how the hell does he fit in ?!?!? WHO Nose?! Love that bit though, no matter how befuddled my brain was at that point. (view spoiler)

message 7: by Tej (last edited Nov 26, 2013 02:01PM) (new)

Nathan wrote: "Tej! Quick! Change where you called Matt Smith, Matt Lewis and you can save yourself some Whovian credibility!"

Oops must have been thinking of Neville Longbottom!

I'm too late but my credibility was always a non starter! Thanks for trying to save me anyhow :)

message 8: by Tej (last edited Nov 26, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

Just moving Howard's Happy Birthday message thread into this one (I'm sorry, it is annoying that we cant move individual posts from other threads but nothings perfect in this world just like the plotlines of Dr Who...)

Howard wrote:

"
Happy Birthday

Who turns 50 today.

Only in this Timeframe, understand.

What a kid.

Who's your favorite Who?
"

Amy Wrote:

"Isn't Tom Baker everyone's favorite Who? No? "

message 9: by Ross (new)

Ross Milton (mrossleighliter) Nathan wrote: "I am also looking forward to having a Dr. Who discussion thread. I think that's a great idea. I can echo your sentiments on "Blink." That was an amazing episode, one I frequently have potential new..."

Blink was good. It's hard to create a credible new villain/enemy to compete with the back story of Daleks, et al. But the Weeping Angels are great writing.

message 10: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Tej wrote: "I am always underestimating the reach of Dr Who's fandom. "

I'm not sure what pushed it over the edge over here. When the new Who first aired, I was excited to watch it with some guy friends who had grown up with public television re-runs of it like I had. I don't think it really reached popularity on the mainstream level over here until David Tennant came along. There was some guy in the theatre dressed up as David Tennant and convinced that his likeness to him gave him permission to address the crowd with a bad accent. Lots of people (mainly kids and girls) were dressed up in some fashion. Fezes, scarves, Tardis shirts, etc. And there were moments of group laughter for in-jokes. So it was like everyone sharing a private joke that had gone very public indeed. The theatre I was in (I believe the biggest in town) sold out all its screens for 2 separate showings of it back-to-back. The parking lot was bursting at the seams.

I don't think that everyone knew who Tom Baker was, though. There was a collective gasp, but not as large as it could have been since some fans have watched "all 3 Doctors now" ... meaning the last 3 ... and have no real connection to the previous. After all, not everyone's public television station aired it and younger fans wouldn't have been exposed to it at all.

message 11: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments The first Dr., William Harnell was the best, so much the grandfatherly type that his assistant was his granddaughter.

What I really liked about the first shows were the schmucky sets & props, given it was a new undertaking & so hadn't generated any profits, but also every plot twist since was started with this first, crude incarnation.

message 12: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

The showing I attended here at the St. Petersburg History Museum was also rife with fezzes, bow ties and even a Dalek you could ride around in. The new episode was preceded by a 10 hour marathon of recent episodes as well, so people could get caught up if they weren't already. The crowd definitely cheered and applauded for all the cameo appearances. Fandom has definitely reached Florida, although the four friends I dragged in with me had never heard of Dr. Who and were completely lost. I just made sure they had enough to drink from the bar and that kept them quiet.

message 13: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Nathan wrote: "although the four friends I dragged in with me had never heard of Dr. Who and were completely lost. I just made sure they had enough to drink from the bar and that kept them quiet. ..."

Ha. Those are some good friends ... as are you to make sure they were boozed up. :P

message 14: by David (new)

David Kingman | 11 comments Went to the Dr. Who Experience in Cardiff, Wales in 2012 primarily because there are not that many things to do in Cardiff. While I had been a mild fan up until that visit, missing or not watching recorded episodes right away. Not like a former coworker that bent over backwards to watch UK episodes on the web not aired in US yet. Anyway, I have always been kind of mystified by the series popularity. Thanks for explaining the appeal to me. Dr. Who's popularity makes a lot more sense to me now.