Editio Self-Publishing discussion

General > Self Promotion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Krieger | 10 comments Does anyone other indie author feel like this: I put up tweets, facebook posts, and blogs but how to get folks to read/respond to these things is the question. I sometimes feel like a kid sitting with the lemonade stand on his driveway--people pass but very few notice and even fewer buy!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) I think we all do at some point. The trouble is that that's what we have to do to get things going. I remember a job class teacher from my younger years calling this process "faking it until you make it". It's frustrating and exhausting but once the work is done and you've started selling it pays off to have all of that work out on the net waiting for fans to find.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 25, 2013 09:47AM) (new)

I will like to share by experience. The first time I became a writer I got many sales. The first few months it was like a wave of water flowing through. Then people began to write awful reviews and the sales slowly began to slow down. I still get sales here and there, but people have a way with words and sometimes those words can ruin others. I became a writer so that I could raise myself from poverty. I never wanted to tell anyone how poor I am, because it's not always easy to share the truth. When people push daggers into other people's lives without even getting to know others that hurts eventually. I still have hope that I shall rise from poverty and into financial stability, but for now that dream seems very far away. Great success to you.

message 4: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Clark (bryc) | 2 comments Norma, I share your thoughts and worry about the same thing happening to me when the day finally comes for me to publish my first book. the closer I get to that day, just the thoughts terrify me. for me I just have to remember why I am writing, because I like too is why. we have all read stuff that we didn't like, why should my stuff be any different. I agree, words do hurt and I suspect I will get a good taste of it when my day comes. thank you all for sharing as it helps be know that I am not in this boat alone and that others are feeling the same thing I am.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Krieger | 10 comments Fortunately I have a "day job" so to speak so I am not relying on revenue from my books for such basics as the mortgage, food, electric bill, etc. Still, it's a great when I know people are reading my books because after all, why do we write but to share our thoughts/creativity with others, and if people are reading what I write I do get a great sense of fulfillment.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol March | 7 comments I feel exactly the same way. I get visitors when I post and tweet about it, but that's about it. I've decided to write a nonfiction book next, which I've been wanting to do anyway, to see if the blog works better for that, as I suspect it will. I'm truly beginning to believe that the best way to sell fiction is write more and better fiction.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Krieger | 10 comments I agree with Carol that writing more leads to better fiction, or at least I hope so. Unfortunately it is also hard to tell if your work is getting better since an author is his/her worst critic. So, short of reviews, should we be lucky (or unlucky) enough to have received some, sales are the only other barometer we have, and in order for people to like the work they have to know about it.