Plum Island (John Corey, #1) Plum Island discussion

Great Read

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Glen This is the first DeMille book I read and out it a great read, although I got a little tired of re-reading the same parts over and over again. Very enjoyable. I find that I prefer Child, Thorn and Flynn.

David Freas This is the first book in DeMille's 5 book John Corey series. Read the rest as the series improves over time.

Glen No doubt, and thank you for your opinion I have another, can't recall the name. I like his style. I just went through the last two Brad Thor books in a couple days. I'm looking forward to the new Demille book. Have a great Thanksgiving

David Freas Love Child. Never read Thor or Flynn, their characters didn't appeal to me.
DeMille has quite a few non-series books as well. Check him out at www.stopyourekillingme.com. Haven't read many of them but the ones I did, I liked.
Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

Glen Quillracer wrote: "Love Child. Never read Thor or Flynn, their characters didn't appeal to me.
DeMille has quite a few non-series books as well. Check him out at www.stopyourekillingme.com. Haven't read many of th..."

I have to admit I like Jack Reacher from Lee Child, a couple books weren't that good. Hated the film and was mad I paid for it over the tv. Brad Thor's Mitch Rapp is a very likeable badass.
What other authors got you moving, I'm looking to check some others out? Did Cornwell? and Patterson, ok but neither lit me up.
I was a private investigator for 20 years so my son and I picked up Mickey Spillane recently. Funny how the oldies are still great reads.

Thank you for you input and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you!

David Freas Child, like every author, has had some up and down books in the series.

James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series is high on my 'must read' list as is anything by Michael Connelly.

Others authors I like are David Baldacci, Lawrence Block, C. J. Box, Stephen J. Cannell, Nelson DeMille, Earl Emerson, Linda Fairstein, Dick (and Felix) Francis, Sue Grafton, Jeremiah Healy, Carl Hiaasen, J. A. Jance, Jonathan Kellerman, Jonathon King, Christine Kling, Dennis Lehane, Margaret Maron, Archer Mayor, Ed McBain, Toby Neal, Robert B. Parker, Ridley Pearson, David Rosenfelt, Lisa Scottoline, John Sandford, Julia Spenser-Fleming, Will Thomas, and Victoria Thompson. Check them out at the Stop You're Killing Me website.

Read a few Spillane's but never really got into him. I used to like Cornwell, but stopped reading her when I stopped liking (or caring about) her characters. I loved Travis McGee and may go back and re-read him soon.

Glen I'm going to print this and truly appreciate your feedback. J.A. Jance was the other author I was trying to think of. I guess all authors go into a stretch with readers where it gets a little mundane or uninteresting. I'm not familiar with James Lee Burke, but will be looking into it.

I enjoyed Scottoline, then she started writing in newspapers and kind of lost my desire to read more, although I liked the books that I read. I'm picking up that you like mysteries, which is great, I do too.

I'm trying to get my kids into reading more, especially above their so called grade level. We're talking 7th and 10th grade. They are getting there.

Thank you again for your opinion and feel free to keep my in your loop when you come across something that "floats your boat" so to speak.

David Freas I usually write a review on every book I read. I think there's a way you can 'follow' my reviews here on Goodreads.

If you check out the authors I mentioned on Stop You're Killing Me, you'll see I'm all over the place with who I read.

My daughter (34) was a reader from the get-go, but my son (33) never really got into it until he hit college. Now he's like the rest of the family - never goes anywhere without book(s) to read.

message 9: by Feliks (new)

Feliks 'Plum Island' actually is a genuine island in Long Island Sound and it is actually is owned by the US government and there is a 'biological research station' there.

Not only that.

A while back, a mysterious body did turn up drowned there, washed up on the shore. It was in the newspapers, check out the story anytime.

message 10: by KP (new) - rated it 5 stars

KP Feliks wrote: "'Plum Island' actually is a genuine island in Long Island Sound and it is actually is owned by the US government and there is a 'biological research station' there.

Not only that.

A while back, ..."

Yeah, I grew up near there, that’s why I read the book. Then I started reading others in the series. Most are really good if you don’t mind the sarcastic humor of the main character.