Between the Lines discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > July 2009 Nominations for Group Read

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! It's that time again. Get out your nominations for this next month. nominations will close on June 24, 2009 around 10:00 am. Then I will have the poll set up for voting from June 25th to june 30th at 12:00 am.

Let's nominate!

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice A Ship Made of Paper by Scott Spencer.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The Reader- Bernhard Schlink

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena I have never nominated anything before, there is always a first time for everthing:
American Gods by Nel Gaiman

message 5: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) I would like to nominate Mistborn The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

simply because it's on my shelf and I've yet to read it... (plus it's had much critical acclaim)

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) Time of Our Singingby an outstanding author who will make you think:

Review from Booklist:
When Jewish physicist David Strom meets African American Delia Daley at Marian Anderson's historic Washington Mall performance in 1939, they fall in the most unlikely love. Together, they embark on a grand experiment, raising three children to love music and transcend race. The children all sing beautifully, but the oldest boy, Jonah, is a genuine prodigy (his brother, Joseph, who narrates the novel, becomes Jonah's accompanist in life and music). When their mother dies in a mysterious fire, the three children must navigate a racist world with only their white father to guide them, a man obsessed with trying to decode the secret shape of time. While Ruth, the youngest Strom, becomes a militant black activist, the two boys try to resurrect the music of dead white men with the history of the civil rights movement playing out in their background--always present, and yet never nearby. Powers' (Ploughing the Dark, Galatea 2.2) celebrated intellect is fully evident in this sweeping story as he forges unlikely connections between race and physics, and music and time. But behind Powers' intimidating brain is a heart too often overlooked, and even as the narrative artfully switches tenses and folds back upon itself (reflecting the knotted shape of time), this remarkable novel sings from its tortured soul as much as from its polyphonic mind. John Green

message 9: by Cathyb (new)

Cathyb | 29 comments The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

message 10: by Silver (new)

Silver The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

message 11: by Christina Stind (new)

Christina Stind War and Peace by Tolstoy

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 17 comments That's a great list so far :)

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) I will nominate The Jewel of Medina
by Sherry Jones

message 14: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) I am newish and don't know if you have already done this book or not but, if not, I would like to nominate:
The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood.

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 17 comments Shelley I am new too and don't know what has been chosen in the past.
I would like to nominate Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.

message 16: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 17 comments Also when it's time to vote can we vote for more than one?

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily The Handmaids Tale was already chosen for this group. If you click on the bookshelf on the top right you can see what was read.

message 18: by Ing (new)

Ing (shawtygurl15) For me either "Paradise Lost, Paradise Regained" by John Milton or "Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy...

message 19: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) Emily- Thank you so much I didn't know the bookshelf was there. I am still learning my way around the site- thanks for the help.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

How about "Reading Lolita in Tehran"? The author discusses four books in her autobiography... Lolita, Pride & Prejudice, Great Gatsby & Daisy Miller. Perhaps the group might want to read one of those four in conjunction with "Reading Lolita..."

message 21: by JESSICA (new)

JESSICA (iamasuburbanmom) | 52 comments Kandice wrote: "A Ship Made of Paper by Scott Spencer."

I'd definately vote for this book. I read about it in Reading Like a Writer A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them and it sounded really appealing

message 22: by Mandy (new)

Mandy My nomination is In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

message 23: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I nominate Shadow of the Wind.

message 24: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vicki507) I nominate The Thorn Birds.

message 25: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 17 comments These nominations just keep getting better and better.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

So far the list of nominations are:

Above Suspicion - Lynda La Plante

A Ship Made of Paper by Scott Spencer.

The Reader- Bernhard Schlink

American Gods by Nel Gaiman

Mistborn The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

Time of Our Singing by John Green

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

War and Peace by Tolstoy

Paradise Lost, Paradise Regained by John Milton

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

The Jewel of Medina by Sherry Jones

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.

The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins.

Olive Kitteridge
Reading Lolita in Tehran

A Ship Made of Paper by Scott Spencer

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

Shadow of the Wind.

The Thorn Birds.

message 27: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Gazman - Louis de Bernieres

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 5 comments I want to nominate (and read) The Known World by Edward P. Jones- a pulitzer winner

message 29: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) With all the good books being nominated I don't know how I am going to pick only one when it comes time for the Poll.
Tracy- I have heard that The Known World is very good.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Completely agree, Shelley. Also, won't everybody just vote for their own book, or is there some sort of rule there?

Anyway, great list!

message 31: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) Hmm, I am thinking that I should un-nominate my suggestion (although I really want to read it and it is one that should probably be read where I can discuss with others) but the list seems much much too long, so unless, the moderator has a plan for short-listing I will ask that "Time of our Singing" be removed.

message 32: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) When is the poll going to be put up? July is almost here :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

The poll will be up tomorrow morning. If a book doesn't get picked we can always renominate the book

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I just joined the group and would like to nominate The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Nominations are closed......

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.