Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

And Then She Fell (Cynster, #19; The Cynster Sisters Duo, #1)
This topic is about And Then She Fell
Archived: Series Reads > And Then She Fell (The Cynster Sisters Duo #1) by Stephanie Laurens (Start Date: January 2, 2014)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Nov 25, 2013 07:16AM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments
And Then She Fell, by Stephanie Laurens

The only thing more troublesome than a Cynster man...is a Cynster lady who believes love is not her destiny. Famously known in London society as "The Matchbreaker," Henrietta Cynster's uncanny skill lies in preventing ill-fated nuptials - not in falling victim to Cupid's spell.

But then she disrupts one match too many and feels honor-bound to assist dashing James Glossup in finding a suitable bride for a marriage of convenience.

A task infernally complicated by the undeniable, unquenchable attraction that flares between James and Henrietta, who continues to believe she will never fall...

♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥

The last two in connection to the Cynster series that we have been doing in chronological order starts in January. Date as yet to be determine.

Please join us.

Expect Spoilers!

Participants
Kit★
Susan
Lisa Kay
Judy

Chapter Breakdown

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Nov 24, 2013 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I don't think I will be an active participant in this one. But I'll read it in Jan and try to find time (and internet)to get online when you are reading it and answer the questions.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Is that when the wedding is, ShoSho?

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yes we'll leave on the 12th and we'll be back by 4th of Feb. The wedding is on the 17th

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments You ready?

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "You ready?"

NOT AT ALL!

I need a dress and shoes for the wedding and some more dresses and shoes for the pre and post wedding parties !
I haven't even started buying presents yet. I have to buy presents for 15 people to take with me!

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments 15! Yikes.

message 9: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "15! Yikes."

They used to be 5 ,mom ,dad and brothers and sister! now all of them are married and have children , even my niece is getting married and her fiance has been added to my list!
hummmppp my biggest problem is I don't what to buy for them!

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments **chuckles**

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I'm in. I like all three of those covers about equally. I have the one on the left myself. :)

message 12: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm in! I like the cover on the left :)

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yay! My library has this on audio.

message 14: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy May I join you ladies for this one? I'm a few books behind you on the rest of the Cynster series, but I think I can pick up with this one.

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sure, Judy! Welcome. ☺

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yaay Judy :)

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments When do you want to read this one we can chose between

Jan 2 , 13 ,20 or 27 ?

message 18: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I vote for the 2nd...a great start to the new year :)

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments yes 2nd is good for me too :)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Yep, I like 2nd, perfect :)

message 21: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy The 2nd works for me- not sure if I'm going to do the paperback or the audio- will see how the timing works out.

message 22: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments So, I was at the book store today picking up a copy of Dragonwings cause it's the next novel I'm teaching my class and I need to read it before I attempt to teach it and found a copy of this. I had told myself I was getting it from the library, but in a moment of weakness, I bought it too! Now, I can't wait to start it LOL

message 23: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I got it from the elibrary and I'm to start on the 2nd.I'll do the first set of Qs

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Yea! I'm ready, and will do the 2nd set of Qs! :)

message 25: by Hanita (new)

Hanita | 13 comments Is it okay if I read this book without reading the cynster series first?

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I believe you can , just read this page on Stephanie Laurens website.
http://www.stephanielaurens.com/books...

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments I haven't read a Stephanie Laurens yet. I would also like to join.

message 28: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Ipshita wrote: "I haven't read a Stephanie Laurens yet. I would also like to join."

Feel free to join in!

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments Thanks,I really like doing group readings.

message 30: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I do too :) And this series has been so much fun with these ladies :)

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments You ladies are the only thing that saves some of these. LOL!

message 32: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "You ladies are the only thing that saves some of these. LOL!"

I totally agree with that!!

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Yay! The more the merrier :D
And I agree the buddy reads is what saves some of em, for sure!

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Jan 02, 2014 05:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Are we reading this 3 or 4 days? I'm ok with both

Chapters 1-4
Chapters 5-9
Chapters 10-13
Chapters 14-Epilogue

Or

Chapters 1-5
Chapters 6-11
Chapters 11-Epilogue

message 35: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Jan 01, 2014 07:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ShoSho's Questions for Chapter 1- 5

1.From what we’ve read so far ,do you think Mary has found her hero or is she mistaken?

2. Lol the Matchebreaker! Did you like what she does?

3.We don’t have a mystery yet but there was a small incident ! Who was that man with cane and gloves? Is he related to whatever mystery coming later in the book?

4.How long will it take for them to realise they are each other’s best match? How long will it take them to confess it to each other? Are they being dense ? shouldn’t they see the other one has the same feeling?

5.Huh didn’t see the river accident coming! I thought somebody else would fall in the water; SL is not into putting her heroines in scandalous situations in public !Do you think it could have been deliberate and not just an accident?

6.Clever way to initiate a kiss ! What did you think about the first kiss? What about the second one in the orangery? BTW I loved the whole masquerade night!

7.What a twist! Now she has to find a match for Miss Fotherby! What did you think of her? Too forward and too desperate? Or honest?

8.You can’t imagine my surprise when I realised this James is the James from Simon’s book and he’s related to Kitty! Did you know and remember earlier?

9.Bumping into Miss Carmichael was suspicious , who do you think was that gentleman? Sir Peter Affry?

message 36: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm reading chapter 5 I can do the Qs for that chapter if you want to finish it in 3 days

message 37: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I say it's up to you, ShoSho, since you posted the first set of questions lol personally, I'd say 3 days. But I'm fine with whichever.

message 38: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'll answer the questions in the morning. Hubs and I are in bed watching football and he has the lights off. I'm on Ch 3.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I'm starting in the morning, tonight we are watching some Walking Dead after kiddo's in bed, gotta get my zombie fix! :)

message 40: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments 3 days it is! added 2 more Qs

message 41: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy I started this yesterday, and am a little ahead in the reading (don’t have as much time today to read) I’ll try not to give spoilers.

1.From what we’ve read so far ,do you think Mary has found her hero or is she mistaken?

I think she isn’t sure- she wants Henrietta to finish with the necklace so she can be certain.

I think what she does is OK, and it is sort of different for someone to look out for the female’s interests in the Marriage Mart.

3.We don’t have a mystery yet but there was a small incident ! Who was that man with cane and gloves? Is he related to whatever mystery coming later in the book?

I think he is involved in the mystery.

4.How long will it take for them to realise they are each other’s best match? How long will it take them to confess it to each other? Are they being dense ?
shouldn’t they see the other one has the same feeling?

Since James has been away from society for awhile, I think the timing is OK .

5.Huh didn’t see the river accident coming! I thought somebody else would fall in the water; SL is not into putting her heroines in scandalous situations in public !Do you think it could have been deliberate and not just an accident?

No comment 

6.Clever way to initiate a kiss ! What did you think about the first kiss? What about the second one in the orangery? BTW I loved the whole masquerade night!

I think the way James handled the first kiss was perfect, and the orangery kiss was good, although I did wonder if they would go further since there was a couch in the orangery –reminded me of all the action on daybeds in the conservatory in previous books

7.What a twist! Now she has to find a match for Miss Fotherby! What did you think of her? Too forward and too desperate? Or honest?

I think something may be up with Miss Fotherby, but I could be wrong

8.You can’t imagine my surprise when I realised this James is the James from Simon’s book and he’s related to Kitty! Did you know and remember earlier?

At first I thought the name was familiar, but couldn’t place it. Once she mentioned Kitty then I remembered James from the other book.

9.Bumping into Miss Carmichael was suspicious , who do you think was that gentleman? Sir Peter Affry?

I’m not sure if it was Sir Peter Affry (since the characters think it was)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments I'm still in chapter 4, but so far it feels sort of flat for me. I mean Henrietta and James have known each other from before so why does she suddenly have feelings for him? And she doesn't even realise her feelings yet. It's becoming cliched,I so hope things become interesting after this!

message 43: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Susan's Answers to ShoSho's Questions for Chapter 1- 5

1.From what we’ve read so far ,do you think Mary has found her hero or is she mistaken? I'm not sure. She wandered off to that group that had the Cavanaugh guy. And isn't her book about Ryder Cavanaugh? But, I wonder if she's thinking of him or someone else? I just don't know at this point.

honestly, no, I don't like what she does. I do have to laugh each time she's referred to as the Matchbreaker. I hear the Matchmaker song from Fiddler on the Roof LMAO You can watch it here if you're clueless as to what I'm talking about... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Hj7b...

3.We don’t have a mystery yet but there was a small incident ! Who was that man with cane and gloves? Is he related to whatever mystery coming later in the book?I did think that was a little odd. If there's a mystery, I'm sure he's involved

4.How long will it take for them to realise they are each other’s best match? How long will it take them to confess it to each other? Are they being dense ? shouldn’t they see the other one has the same feeling?DENSE! Most definitely dense! I already want to shake them and make them speak their thoughts to each other.

5.Huh didn’t see the river accident coming! I thought somebody else would fall in the water; SL is not into putting her heroines in scandalous situations in public !Do you think it could have been deliberate and not just an accident?I don't know if it was deliberate or not. It was unexpected

6.Clever way to initiate a kiss ! What did you think about the first kiss? What about the second one in the orangery? BTW I loved the whole masquerade night!I liked the first kiss. I LOVED the masquerade and that they spent the whole night together. Is Lady Hamilton's orangery the same orangery as in the other book where we had that lovely orangery scene? LOL

7.What a twist! Now she has to find a match for Miss Fotherby! What did you think of her? Too forward and too desperate? Or honest? Too forward and too desperate. But I'm a little creeped out by Miss Fotherby's mom and the reason she needs to marry. Talk about insecure on the mom's part. Does she really have reason to worry that her Hubs will want someone else, much less a child in their own home?

8.You can’t imagine my surprise when I realised this James is the James from Simon’s book and he’s related to Kitty! Did you know and remember earlier? It took me a bit to realize that it was the same one.

yep, suspicious. I'm guessing Sir Peter is the same guy that bumped into Henrietta in the beginning. and probably so.

message 44: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Ipshita wrote: "I'm still in chapter 4, but so far it feels sort of flat for me. I mean Henrietta and James have known each other from before so why does she suddenly have feelings for him? And she doesn't even re..."

I'm guessing they never really interacted before and that's why they didn't realize they actually liked each other.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Kit★'s Answers to ShoSho's Questions for Chapter 1-5

She thinks she has, but she's wrong :)

2. Lol the Matchbreaker! Did you like what she does?
It's sort of a good idea I suppose, since usually weddings back then were all about what the man wanted, so it's ok.

He was kinda of mysterious, huh? Curiouser and curiouser...

4.How long will it take for them to realise they are each other’s best match? How long will it take them to confess it to each other? Are they being dense ? shouldn’t they see the other one has the same feeling?
I think they kinda are moving too fast, mentally. Not physically, thank goodness, not yet anyway, but the way they're both feeling all attached to each other and he's even thinking love already for heaven's sake... I suppose it must just be the magic of the necklace, eh? ;) But yea, they're being dense. He should just come out and say he sees her as a candidate for the list.

I thought it was great. Never saw anything like that before in this series really. I was thinking it was an accident, but now (view spoiler) I'm sure it was on purpose. Either someone trying to do her harm, or maybe someone trying to hurt James, and getting Henri on accident because she's always glued to his side.

Kinda made me smile a little, he kinda seemed boyish for a second, asking like that. The orangery, oh, I was so scared it was going to turn to more than a kiss when she led him to the sofa... I was all, oh, man, if they go into those damned lessons again, I'm gonna scream! The masque ball was neat though.

Yea, what's Miss Fotherby's deal? Pervy step-dad? Or paranoid mom just thinking she'll lose her husband? Weird. I think she was rather forward, but honest about what she wanted.

Didn't we talk about how he had a book, when we read Simon's book? I knew who he was :p It took me a minute to remember who Kitty was, but she was the one who was schmoozing all over anyone with a wiener at the house party that Simon went to, and then got killed. That's when we first met our dear Inspector Stokes too, right?

I was thinking it might've been Affry, as he's said to be wanting to marry her, but I was kinda thinking by the way the guy slipped off without her, that maybe he's someone else, maybe the dude with the cane from earlier? I dunno. It's mysterious... Lol

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Ipshita wrote: "I'm still in chapter 4, but so far it feels sort of flat for me. I mean Henrietta and James have known each other from before so why does she suddenly have feelings for him? And she doesn't even re..."

It's the magic of the necklace! Lol.

message 47: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Kit, you always crack me up!

message 48: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Jan 02, 2014 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments @ Judy

#6. Lol daybeds and orangeries play a big part in SL books!

#7.yeah she seems weird !

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments :D
Just starting ch. 8, should be able to get the 2nd set of qs up here in a couple hours.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Quick question! Does anyone remember what happened to the laird's crazy mother at the end of Angelica's book? Did she get killed?

« previous 1 3