Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Recycle Bin > Cookbooks: What are you Cooking this Thanksgiving?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments What is everyone cooking this Thanksgiving? If you take a picture please post it here. Have questions? Go ahead and ask.

message 2: by Barb (last edited Nov 24, 2013 04:55PM) (new)

Barb Our son's in-laws have invited us to join their feast again this year -- even though the kids are in Japan and won't be there LOL -- so we're postponing our turkey dinner till daughter's boyfriend comes to visit right after Christmas.

We're still taking a few things to the dinner on Thursday, though: spiced pecans, garlic green beans, hot spiced apple cider and, if I can find the necessary cheddar cheese spread, hubby's favorite cheese ball. No photos, unfortunately, but I could post recipes if anyone is interested :)

message 3: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments This is a really yummy vegan sweet potato recipe. I baked the sweet potatoes the night before and then my sister-in-law and brother-in-law helped me whip this up as a last minute table addition. It was soooooooo good! In fact, my brother-in-law is going to make it and take it to a pot-luck poetry meeting he is attending later this month.

www.thefussyfork.com

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments A little after the fact, but I wanted to brag a little! I cooked my very first Thanksgiving meal for my family this year...and EVERYTHING WAS EDIBLE! :D

I feel like this is a giant achievement :) I didn't burn one thing! And nothing (not even the turkey) was raw!

message 5: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments @Barb - could you post your garlic green bean recipe? That sounds wonderful, and my hubby is a green bean fanatic!

message 6: by Barb (last edited Dec 01, 2013 09:02AM) (new)

Barb Ashley Marie wrote: "A little after the fact, but I wanted to brag a little! I cooked my very first Thanksgiving meal for my family this year...and EVERYTHING WAS EDIBLE! :D

I feel like this is a giant achievement :) I didn't burn one thing! And nothing (not even the turkey) was raw! "

Yay, Ashley! It IS a huge achievement, you have every right to feel proud :)

As for the green beans, they're so easy, it's almost embarrassing to call it a recipe, but here you go:

GARLIC & BUTTER GREEN BEANS
1 lb. fresh green beans, ends snapped off
1 can chicken broth (14 oz.? whatever the current size is)
3/4 lb. butter (yes, I use real butter!)
3 tsp. minced garlic (or more if you like garlic -- like we do! I use the jarred stuff that's already minced)

Put chicken broth and green beans in pot large enough to hold the beans. Cover and cook on medium-high till beans are just barely tender, probably 8-10 minutes. Drain off chicken broth, place beans in another bowl/pot while you prepare the butter/garlic mix. (I usually dump them into the bowl I'm going to serve them in. Why dirty *another bowl???) In the pot you used to cook the beans, melt the butter, then stir in garlic till completely blended. Return beans to pot; heat over medium heat for just another 2-3 minutes, then serve.

You may have to tweak the amount of butter/garlic relative to the quantity of beans until you find the exact combination you like, but that's the basic recipe. So easy, and rarely any leftovers :)

message 7: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments That sounds wonderful (and I love that it seems foolproof)! Thanks, Barb!

message 8: by Barb (new)

Barb Hope you and hubby like them :) In our house, you can't go wrong with butter and garlic LOL

message 9: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments That's true at my place, too. "When in doubt, add a stick of butter" could be my motto!

message 10: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments That is so exciting, Ash! Congrats to you.

message 11: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I also made Alton Brown's Macarone & Cheese recipe. It is the #1 downloaded recipe from Food Network. I wanted something that wasn't vegan and that the kids would like. Let me tell you, it was a BIG hit. Plus, I was able to make it ahead of time and then just reheat it.

Recipe & video here.

message 12: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Mac & cheese is my go to comfort food, LK. I'll definitely be trying that one!

message 13: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I just made turkey pot pie with my left overs, and it was awesome. My hubby informed me that "he was glad we didn't have kids yet because he didn't want to share the pot pie with anyone else."

message 14: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 02, 2013 09:33PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I made Turkey with stuffing, Libby's Pumpkin Pie, mashed potatoes, 3 layer jello, Sweet potatoes, and French's Green Bean Casserole and my daughter made cranberries.

PS Seasoning a chicken the same way I do a turkey tastes good too.
PPS My lazy woman's secret to keeping a turkey most is to put three strips of bacon down the middle (evenly spaced) and two more on the legs (one on each)

message 15: by Barb (new)

Barb Ashley Marie wrote: "I just made turkey pot pie with my left overs, and it was awesome. My hubby informed me that "he was glad we didn't have kids yet because he didn't want to share the pot pie with anyone else.""

LOL Hubby doesn't like pie of any kind, but daughter would mostly agree with your hubby -- she loves pot pie!

message 16: by Barb (new)

Barb Lisarenee wrote: "PPS My lazy woman's secret to keeping a turkey most is to put three strips of bacon down the middle (evenly spaced) and two more on the legs (one on each)"

Yummmm ... how can you go wrong with bacon? :D I'll have to keep this in mid the next time I prepare a turkey feast :)

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Bacon! One of the free things I miss about going vegan. I'll confess I had some the other night, though.

My BFF bought me a panini press for Christmas last year. After my company left on Sunday I went over an made her and her boyfriend turkey sandwiches with dressing, cranberry sauce, cheese, tomato, and fresh spinach.

I also made Asparagus Bundles - with bacon! Super easy and delicious.