The Writer's Cafe discussion

Group Stories > Discussion for The Halifax Stone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dana (new)

Dana Smythe | 273 comments Mod
This is where general discussion for the group story can take place - want to comment on what happened in the story, or talk about ideas for what might happen next? Do so here!

message 2: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) sooooo... what is 'The Halifax Stone' about??? give me the crash course.

message 3: by Dana (new)

Well, I just posted the first two segments, so there's something to read now. : )
But really, the whole idea is that we don't actually know what the story's about yet - we're going to write it together, piece by piece. Everyone should make a character and join in the fun of exploring the setting and putting together a plot. : )
Or, if people want a little more guidance than that, I can always add some more decisive sections, just to put some signposts out there. Let's see how people like to play first though.

message 4: by Dana (new)

But in a more general announcement: Okay everyone, here we go - I've just posted the opening scene, along with a second entry from another perspective, just to use as an example of how this generally works. Feel free to dive right in and start adding on - just make sure you post your character in the Character Creator thread!

message 5: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) That sounds great!! I shall get on it!

message 6: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Sophia wrote: "That sounds great!! I shall get on it!"

Oh, ma chere.

message 7: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) WHAT??? WHAT my wonderful peice of furniture?

message 8: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Sophia wrote: "WHAT??? WHAT my wonderful peice of furniture?"

Calm down, mi querido. I merely said 'ma chere'.

message 9: by Sofia (last edited Nov 25, 2013 02:29PM) (new)

Sofia | 135 comments Mod
I read through the parts that had already been posted and, though it's clear that the world is made up there is no talk of magic as of yet. The character I am creating works best in a magical environment. Of course, I can change some things and make him work in a more realistic setting, too.
The reason why I am writing this post is that I wanted ask you all if adding magic (or at least some magical aspects) to the mix would be alright.

message 10: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) I think adding magic would be great! Sadia could be an epic magic-y person :D

message 11: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) Ariane wrote Calm down, mi querido. I merely said 'ma chere' ,,/I>

Meh. I like over-reacting.

message 12: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Sophia wrote: "WHAT??? WHAT my wonderful peice of furniture?"

You spelt 'piece' wrong, ma chere.

message 13: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 135 comments Mod
Ariane *Daughter of Athena* wrote: "I think adding magic would be great! Sadia could be an epic magic-y person :D"

Great :)
So, if no one minds, can I go ahead and post my character?

message 14: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Sofia wrote: "Ariane *Daughter of Athena* wrote: "I think adding magic would be great! Sadia could be an epic magic-y person :D"

Great :)
So, if no one minds, can I go ahead and post my character?"

Of course!

message 15: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) Ariane *Daughter of Athena* wrote: "Sophia wrote: "WHAT??? WHAT my wonderful peice of furniture?"

You spelt 'piece' wrong, ma chere."

oops.

message 16: by Dana (new)

There are some great new characters out there - but let's start posting new segments of the story!

message 17: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Dana wrote: "There are some great new characters out there - but let's start posting new segments of the story!"

I agree!

message 18: by Dana (new)

Hey, how old are Sadia and Soren supposed to be, roughly?

Also, just to let everyone know, I'm going to delete some of the chit-chat from the character creator thread, to keep it easy to scroll down and read the characters. Let's try to keep the commentary to this discussion thread, okay? : )

message 19: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Dana wrote: "Hey, how old are Sadia and Soren supposed to be, roughly?

Also, just to let everyone know, I'm going to delete some of the chit-chat from the character creator thread, to keep it easy to scroll d..."

Okay :) Soren and Sadia... Sadia-15 Soren-17

Is there going to be dating in this book? 'Cause it suddenly looks like Soren and Sadia are going to date, but it's kinda awkward if two of your own charries date. So... Idk?

message 20: by Dana (new)

A nice love interest usually adds to a story - I just wouldn't let them get together too soon, as that diffuses drama instead of adds to it. And I don't see any reason why two of your own characters shouldn't get together, as long as you don't become self-indulgent about it. : )

message 21: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) Dana wrote: "A nice love interest usually adds to a story - I just wouldn't let them get together too soon, as that diffuses drama instead of adds to it. And I don't see any reason why two of your own character..."

I agree

message 22: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Dana wrote: "A nice love interest usually adds to a story - I just wouldn't let them get together too soon, as that diffuses drama instead of adds to it. And I don't see any reason why two of your own character..."

Yeah, I like long, drawn out love stories that have you screaming "JUST FREAKING GET TOGETHER ALREADY!"

message 23: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) How old are Ayla and Wick?

message 24: by Dana (new)

Wick is about fourteen, and Ayla is in her early twenties

message 25: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Dana wrote: "Wick is about fourteen, and Ayla is in her early twenties"

Cool :)

message 26: by Maya (new)

Maya | 7 comments Mod
um, I was about to post an excerpt from Zyrah's point of view when I wondered if perhaps the magician could have dropped a stone in the chaos? I was thinking Zyrah could pick it up... or something... would that be okay with you guys?

message 27: by Maya (new)

Maya | 7 comments Mod
by the way, when I said 'a stone' in my previous comment I meant the stone, the Halifax Stone.

message 28: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) That sounds great! ;)

message 29: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 135 comments Mod
It's alright by me. The Magician mentioned a object he had to keep safe. It can be the Halifax Stone if that's alright with you guys, and he lost it during the fight.

message 30: by Dana (new)

If that's going to happen though, there needs to be a reason provided for why the Magician still thinks the object is in the pouch he was protecting - since that was specifically mentioned at the end of Sofia's post. Maybe it would be better if there had been some kind of swap - like, Wick could have stolen the Magician's pouch and replaced it with one he already had, so as to buy him more time before the theft was noticed. Then, when Sadia knocked him down, the stone could have fallen out of the pouch without him realizing it, and then Zyrah could have snatched it up.
What do you all think? : )

message 31: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) That sounds pretty complicated, but it sounds good as well! :D

message 32: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) awesome work!!

message 33: by Maya (new)

Maya | 48 comments all good!

message 34: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) Sofia! Write your part!!
oh. Soz. where are my manners? PLEASE?

message 35: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 135 comments Mod
Hahahaha As you command, my lady ;)

message 36: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Sofia-how would you like to be a moderator? :D

message 37: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (last edited Nov 27, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) Sofia wrote: "Hahahaha As you command, my lady ;)"

heh. 'My lady' I could definitely get used to this!
Thanks 4 updating!

message 38: by Maya (new)

Maya | 48 comments Awesome writing guys! :)
I had the idea that the stone could look like a normal rock on first sight - grey and... um, rocky. Yes.
but then when someone touches it colour starts to appear. I made the stone blue, but I can change it if we want it to be a different colour.
I also assumed the stone would be small enough for someone to hold it in their hand.

message 39: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) yeah, good idea Maya. Maybe it only glows blue for 'special' people. Special could mean anything from having magic to... uh yeah. I will get back to you on that. Any ideas guys???

message 40: by Maya (last edited Nov 27, 2013 08:26PM) (new)

Maya | 48 comments special people. I can handle that.
but anyway, just letting you guys know, I won't have access to the internet for the next... (counts on fingers) three days.
*Is sad*. But i'm looking forward to reading some writing when I get back! :D

message 41: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 135 comments Mod
Ariane *Daughter of Athena* wrote: "Sofia-how would you like to be a moderator? :D"

I would love to :D

message 42: by Maya (new)

Maya | 48 comments Welcome to Moderater-ness Sofia! :D

message 43: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) yay!

message 44: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Okay :D

message 45: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Sofia! Noooo! D: I can't add you as moderator because you don't have a verified email address! :(

message 46: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 135 comments Mod
I just verified it :)

message 47: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Okay, cool :D

message 48: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) lol.

message 49: by ✿ αzzι ✿ (new)

✿ αzzι ✿ (azziplz) Sophia wrote: "lol."

...?

message 50: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) never mind......
Anyway I will not be able to update for da weekend so dont hold your breath. And if you do then u will be expecting your oxygen deprived soul to update from the grave. Thats the kind of commitment I expect.

« previous 1