Beastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1) Beastly discussion

Fairytale retellings?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Saf Can anyone recommend any good fairytale re-tellings? I've been looking around, but none of them are really doing it for me!

Also, please don't say 'Cinder' because I don't think
I'd be into that!

Thanks

message 2: by emma (thehapabookworm) (last edited Nov 24, 2013 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

emma (thehapabookworm) Some of my favorites (besides Cinder) are:

cindy ella by robin palmer
beauty by robin mckinley
beauty by susan wilson
sisters red by jackson peirce
fairest by gail carson levine (sp?)
ash by malinda lo

Hope you like these!

message 3: by Stephen (last edited Nov 24, 2013 05:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephen Not exactly what you're asking for but...

The Student Prince by FayJay The Student Prince is a clever m/m retelling of the King Arthur legends

A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley A Thousand Acres is a retelling of the King Lear story

Both are worth your time if they're close enough to what you're looking for.

message 4: by Anna (last edited Nov 26, 2013 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna I love fairy-tale retellings too! I've found many different retellings, but these are the ones I have truly enjoyed. :)

* Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
* The Princess Tales by Gail Carson Levine (they're short stories and more on the funny and lighthearted side. But they're still fun!)
* Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
* The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (don't know if this is a retelling, but it is a wonderful story that satisfies that fairy-tale craving)
* Before Midnight by Cameron Dokey (and any other books from the Once Upon a Time Fairytale series (various authors such as Suzanne Weyn, Debbie Viguie, and Nancy Holder); all are wonderful!)
* Cinderella by Jenni James (and any other books from her Faerie Tale Retellings series)
* Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix (an interesting retelling of Cinderella; a kind of "here's what REALLY happened" story)
* The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Nealy (Hilarious story about the various Prince Charmings going on an adventure to save their princesses. I found myself laughing out loud so many times I lost count.)
* The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriot
* Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley
* Beauty by Robin McKinley
* My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison
* My Unfair Godmother by Janette Rallison
* The Swan Maiden by Heather Tomlinson
* The Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler

Delaney Wright Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

Delaney Wright Cloaked by Alex Flinn

message 8: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Finnish I read East a long time ago and remember liking it.
East by Edith Pattou

And, like Eliza mentioned, The Hero's Guide is a funny twist on fairy tale princes, if you like that kind of thing.
The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes, #1) by Christopher Healy

Little Miss Sunshine OH! OH! you can read
1. the sisters grimm (whole series!)
2. cloaked
3. beastly
mmm....i cant think of anymore!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Saphire Snow, way better than any version I've ever come across of Snow White. Check out my review.
http://bookswithletidelmar.blogspot.c...

Dcdfn Annie wrote: "Can anyone recommend any good fairytale re-tellings? I've been looking around, but none of them are really doing it for me!

Also, please don't say 'Cinder' because I don't think
I'd be into that..."

Try Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy The Princess series by Jessica Day George are good (Princess of the Midnight Ball, Princess of Glass and Princess of the Silver Woods).
Beastly is really clever but I haven't really got into any of the other ones by that author, though I know there are a few fairytale retellings by them.
I hope that helps! I really do recommend the Princess ones :)

message 13: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Alex Flinn is okay. I tried A Kiss in Time (Modern-day Sleeping Beauty), but it left me waiting for something more. Beastly was good, but I had that same feeling; there was something missing. I just can't put my finger on what it was.

Kelly East by Edith Pattou Beauty by Robin McKinley

I also recommend EAST and BEAUTY.

message 15: by Readingmom (last edited Dec 03, 2013 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Readingmom I liked the Gregory Maguire re-tellings.

Also, Holly Black's "White Cat" series/trilogy is loosely based on a Russian myth.

The School for Good and Evil, by Soman Chomainani, is a re-telling of fairy tales and their world that was pretty interesting.

Khaonou The Captive Maiden is good. I believe it was recently released.

Dash of  Sunshine Vera wrote: "Some of my favorites (besides Cinder) are:

cindy ella by robin palmer
beauty by robin mckinley
beauty by susan wilson
sisters red by jackson peirce
fairest by gail carson levine (sp?)
ash by mali..."

Robin McKelly's a good re-telling. Loved it!

Readingmom It looks like there is another thread on fairy tale re-tellings here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 19: by Anna (last edited Dec 03, 2013 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna I know Once Upon a Time isn't a book, but I love how they retell the classic fairy tales (and often intertwine them). That show (that fabulous show that is in it's third season on ABC) can also help with your craving for fairy-tale retellings. It's the same reason I watch it. :) The only thing is you must watch it from the beginning, because the stories that started in the first season are continuing all the way into season three. Warning: you may become addicted (May = will) :)

message 20: by emma (thehapabookworm) (last edited Dec 03, 2013 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

emma (thehapabookworm) Eliza wrote: "I know Once Upon a Time isn't a book, but I love how they retell the classic fairy tales (and often intertwine them). That show (that fabulous show that is in it's third season on ABC) can also hel..."

I love this show too! I think there's a tie-in book (Reawakened), but I hear it's not very good.

message 21: by Anna (last edited Dec 03, 2013 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna One reviewer said the book just told the exact same story as the first episode. Not all that interesting if you've seen it already; unless you'd like to see the episode on paper. Why not just watch the episode again? Although I can understand the reading part of it; we're on Goodreads, for heaven's sakes. :)

P.S. Fun name, Vera. :)

message 22: by Bella (last edited Jan 28, 2014 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Bella Marie The best ever for me is by katherine pine snow white.

Little Miss Sunshine theres also one called 'scarlet in the snow' but i forgot who its by!

Ashlee Vanasse I really liked entiwned, Just ella (Haddix) and Strands of Bronze and Gold. Try Strands of Bronze and gold! Its a retelling of Blue beard, but way better.

message 25: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Diaz, "Scarlet in the Snow" is by Sophie Massen. It looks like a good one (always up for a good "Beauty and the Beast" retelling)! :)

Little Miss Sunshine oh! thanks Eliza!

message 27: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna You're welcome. :) How did you like Scarlet in the Snow?