Black Coffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly book nominations > CLASSIC (Harlem Renaissance) January 2nd Group Discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (last edited Nov 24, 2013 01:56PM) (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
This is the nomination thread for January's second group read. This month will choose a CLASSIC I know I said non fiction in the broadcast message but that was a mistake (forgive me). and the theme will be Harlem Renaissance. Meaning it will have to be a classic book written about or by someone associated with the harlem renaissance.
So please select a book you would like to be in the poll. MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE THE TITLE AND AUTHOR AND USE "ADD BOOK" so that people can click on the link if they would like to check it out. Also it makes easier for me to make sure I'm entering the correct book in the poll because so many books have the same title.

If you are unfamilar with the Harlem Renaissance once known as the New Negro Movement is the cultural movement that began in the 1920's and ended around the 30's (many say lasted through the 40's) where literature, poetry and art was at it's hightest peak during the time frame and beginning in Harlem, New York (though it was adopted in other states and evn countries). If are having a hard time thinking of a book, here's the listopia for Harlem Renaissance books https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Month; January
Genre; CLASSIC
Theme; Harlem Renaissance

message 2: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE THE GENRE IS CLASSIC NOT NON-FICTION. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSSION

I will nominate:

The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson
The Blacker the Berry by Wallace Thurman

message 3: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments The Blacker the Berry by Wallace Thurman

One of the most widely read and controversial works of the Harlem Renaissance, The Blacker the Berry...was the first novel to openly explore prejudice within the Black community. This pioneering novel found a way beyond the bondage of Blackness in American life to a new meaning in truth and beauty.

Not Without Laughter by Langston Hughes

Langston Hughes was one of the best-known poets in modern America and his first novel, "Not Without Laughter, " is undoubtedly his finest prose. A classic of African-American literature, it is the poignant story of a young black boy's awakening to the sad and the beautiful realities of black life in a small Kansas town. Published in 1930, "Not Without Laughter" is a pioneering work of fiction, and has been in print ever since. This work is now available in trade paperback with a new introduction by bestselling author and poet Maya Anagelou and a foreword by writer Arna Bontemps.

message 4: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Ha! I didn't know you guys had posted the Thurman book when I did. Great minds think alike ;)

message 5: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

Ha ha! That's funny. It's seems very interesting. I've actually never heard of it. But I am a big fan of the Harlem Renaissance! Langston Hughes and Zora Neale Hurston being my favorites.

message 6: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

Yes, I too am guilty. Not that I became bored with it but I have been so engrossed in pre-civil war era that I have been neglecting all other genres. So this should be fun.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Nicole | 3 comments My vote is for the, The Balcker the Berry

message 8: by Londa (last edited Nov 25, 2013 01:35PM) (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments So as not to leave out Zora, I will also nominate her first novel Jonah's Gourd Vine since many of us have already read her most famous one.

"Jonah's Gourd Vine," Zora Neale Hurston's first novel, originally published in 1934, tells the story of John Buddy Pearson, "a living exultation" of a young man who loves too many women for his own good. Lucy, his long-suffering wife, is his true love, but there's also Mehaley and Big 'Oman, as well as the scheming Hattie, who conjures hoodoo spells to ensure his attentions. Even after becoming the popular pastor of Zion Hope, where his sermons and prayers for cleansing rouse the congregation's fervor, John has to confess that though he is a preacher on Sundays, he is a "natchel man" the rest of the week. And so in this sympathetic portrait of a man and his community, Zora Neale Hurston shows that faith, tolerance, and good intentions cannot resolve the tension between the spiritual and the physical. That she makes this age-old dilemma come so alive is a tribute to her understanding of the vagaries of human nature.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.