The Pickwick Club discussion

Nonesuch Dickens: 6 Book Set: Oliver Twist, Bleak House, Christmas Books, David Copperfield, Great Expectations and Hard Times
This topic is about Nonesuch Dickens
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Archives > hardbound editions of Dickens

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (last edited Nov 24, 2013 12:50PM) (new)

Margaret | 18 comments So, I have been thinking about buying Dickens in a hardbound set. Do any of you have particular knowledge of The Nonesuch Dickens collection.Nonesuch Dickens: 6 Book Set: Oliver Twist, Bleak House, Christmas Books, David Copperfield, Great Expectations and Hard Times[book:The Nonesuch Dickens 3-Volume Set: The Pickwick Papers, TheOldCuriosity Shop, Our Mutual Friend ?

I'm thinking of asking Santa for the six book set this year. My impression is that this is "the collection" to have if one is disinclined from actual collector's editions and such.
I know these books are expensive but I hope that I will be able to enjoy them and encourage others in my life to enjoy them as admirable examples of actual physical books as well as the creations of a great artist.

message 2: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments I'm not familiar with the Nonesuch collection.

I love hardbound books, but I tend to buy then used. By shopping with a bit of care, I get very clean copies of used hardback books for considerably less than new paperback copies.

My three favorite sources are:
http://www.abebooks.com/
http://www.alibris.com/
http://www.betterworldbooks.com/

For example, Barnaby Rudge will presumably be our January book. I can get the Oxford University Press edition in good condition for $.99 plus a few dollars shipping (usually cheap since they can use book rate postage), a Collier's edition in very good condition for $5.00, or various other editions at similar sorts of prices.

message 3: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments I should perhaps add that when I buy new hardback copies of the classics I tend to look for the Everyman editions (just a coincidence -- I have no connection to them!), the Barnes and Noble Classics, or the Modern Library Classics. All are well produced hardback editions at affordable prices. For Dickens, for example, I have been gradually replacing my worn out paperback copies from my early years of buying cheap editions with the Everyman editions, with the goal of eventually having a complete, uniform set by the time the grandkids are old enough to read him.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim I also am not familiar with the Nonesuch collection. I too have hardback books, Dickens and others, most of them are used, and not necessarily in great condition. I have lots of different hardbacks of A Christmas Carol of course, and now that I'm looking most of my new hardback copies are Modern Library Classics. I usually buy paper back, they're cheaper, around here anyway, and I don't feel as bad if I drop them while reading in the bath tub. :-}

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine | 330 comments I have heard of the nonesuch collection. I haven't seen them on person though. I have read that the complete collection goes for $2000.00 plus or minus depending on condition and what estate or who they come from. So they say. I believe they printed a limited number of them.

I imagine one would have to keep them in a controlled environment. Very cool to have them but quite a responsibility. A friend of mine who collects books has a special moisture controlled cabinet for some books and you have to wear gloves.

I collect books. I have some moderately valuable books. All thrift/ yard sale finds.

It is wonderful to own special things like a very rare nonesuch collection. I have some such items. And never have regretted my frivolity! Just make sure you are educated enough to know you are getting the real deal and DO insure them immediately and separately.

Best of luck!!

message 6: by Margaret (last edited Nov 25, 2013 03:06PM) (new)

Margaret | 18 comments Well thanks Everyman and all! I just found Abe's books regarding another book I wanted: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookD...
I apologize folks I didn't mean THE nonesuch edition. I meant the overlook press reprint of THE nonesuch edition. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0739... I am not a collector but as I have been wanting a hardbound set of Dickens for many years, I wanted to get a new hardbound set.
I wanted a hardcover set that would go together nicely on the shelf... I finally have the means to buy some nice looking hardcovers and these seem quite nice and for a very reasonable price. The seller notes that they might have been stored for awhile on their spines in a warehouse and so do not feel quite "new" but are otherwise in fine condition. There are two other sets of three that I plan to pick up sometime in the near future but it is this six book set that is the hardest to find.

Here's the blurb from overlook press:
The essential collector's Dickens, based on the world-famous Nonesuch Press edition of 1937

The text in these stunning volumes is taken from the 1867 Chapman and Hall edition, which became known as the Charles Dickens edition and was the last edition to be corrected by the author himself. The Nonesuch edition contains full-color illustrations selected by Dickens himself, by artists including Hablot Knight Browne ("Phiz"), George Cruikshank, John Leech, Robert Seymour, and George Cattermole.

The Nonesuch Dickens reproduces the original elegance of these beautiful editions. Books are printed on natural cream-shade high quality stock, quarter bound in bonded leather with cloth sides, include a ribbon marker, and feature special printed endpapers. Each volume is wrapped in a protective, clear acetate jacket.

The six-volume set contains Oliver Twist, Bleak House, Christmas Books, Nicholas Nickleby, David Copperfield, and Great Expectations together with Hard Times.

"No more handsome edition of Dickens has yet appeared, nor is it easy to conceive of any which might surpass this one." --The Scotsman

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine | 330 comments Oh! Good news. Even though I am the last to talk someone out of a collecting investment ... But Books are so sensitive.

message 8: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Margaret wrote: "No more handsome edition of Dickens has yet appeared, nor is it easy to conceive of any which might surpass this one." --The Scotsman"

I think the Folio Society
http://www.foliosociety.com/
might argue with this! They are a membership book publisher which has been producing very high quality books for years, with fairly high but not unreasonable prices for books of that quality.

I rejoin from time to time to catch up with books they have that I want and when they have a particularly desirable sign-up bonus (they offer a great deal on particular books to get new members to join.

I notice that they have in their current catalog five new editions "based on the Nonesuch editions," priced at $335. But they also did a complete Dickens series early on, I think in the 80s. Some of these, at least, are available second hand. ABE books, for a quick example, has several of them available in the $10 to $20 range. Don't know whether all are, I didn't keep looking, and other sources may have others. But they're beautifully made books, if they've been properly cared for.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.