Classical music lovers discussion

What led you to classical music?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Nov 24, 2013 11:46AM) (new)

David William Elswick | 100 comments Can you remember a point in your life when you fell completely in love with classical music and knew your life had changed forever? Perhaps you discovered the music through friends, family, or playing an instrument?

For me, that point was undoubtedly at age 18 when I took a music appreciation course. As soon as I heard J.S. Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D Major (Tafelmusik; Jeanne Lamon as conductor) I was never the same again. The harpsichord solo left me spellbound! :)

message 2: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (bookpossum) | 25 comments I was fortunate enough to have parents who loved classical music so I was listening to it from the word go. I used to ask my father to play particular records by describing the picture on the cover. My two top favourites were the blue one with the church on it (Brahms' Symphony No 3) and the green and yellow one (Beethoven's Symphony No 6).

I still smile when I hear the storm section in the Beethoven, because my father, in explaining that that was what the music was describing, said that all the people were caught in the rain without their umbrellas.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard (fantasyfangr) | 33 comments I was walking past the only record store in our small town and impulsively decided to browse. I went over to the classical section purely out of curiosity and saw a Camden recording of Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony. I had seen "Fantasia" at the movies with the animation,of sequences from " The Nutcracker Suite" and decided to try this recording--I had no idea what it would be like. Well, the Fifth blew me away! I still have that ancient mono vinyl in my collection, though I haven't listened to it in a very long time--but I will be forever grateful that I had exactly the right amount in my pocket to get that bargain!

message 4: by Judith (last edited Nov 26, 2013 11:23AM) (new)

Judith | 3 comments It was March 1972. I had no knowledge of classical music, but a co-worker who was a student at Arizona State University and played the cello in the orchestra convinced me to go to a concert there honoring Pablo Casals. He was 95 and was helped from his wheelchair by his wife to play Song of the Birds. When he began to play the emotion in the auditorium was palpable. I think everyone stopped breathing. To hear such a frail old man play with such astonishing beauty certainly took my breath away. It was one of the best memories of my life and I've loved classical music ever since.

message 5: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) That's a great story Judith, thanks for sharing.

message 6: by Art (new)

Art (crierman1863) | 1 comments My Parents also played classical at home. I found it pleasant and worked well with the time I took to reading. I really liked how Looney Tunes used various classical music in their cartoon themes.
I really enjoy Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Pachelbel's canon in D and Rossini"s William Tell Overture. I am a big fan of Mozart. I have went from piano to strings now.

message 7: by 'Aussie Rick' (last edited Nov 26, 2013 07:18PM) (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) The movie Gallipoli introduced me to classical music with the use of Adagio in G Minor by Albinoni.

The movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallipol...

The scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi18za...

The music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Rosi...

message 8: by happy (last edited Nov 26, 2013 11:19PM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 9 comments I also had classical music playing at home. My mother always had it on the record player when I was a wee lad. She mainly listened to Beethoven, but Mozart or one of the Russians occasionally slipped in.

Also one of the local TV stations used Stavinsky's "The Firebird" as the bumper music for the Saturday Late Night Movie and I just fell in love with it. It is still one of my favorite pieces.

I also had the chance to visit Salzberg (Mozart's Birthplace) as a teenager. Mom and Dad always (Dad still does) had season tickets to the symphony and when they couldn't go we were alway offered the tickets

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom Brannigan | 8 comments I started studying the Classical guitar at age 11. My tutor was a gifted musicologist and taught me more than scales and arpeggio exercises. I was quite fortunate.

message 10: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 61 comments My mother played classical music on our piano and it was so beautiful I begged for lessons. I also heard a lot of church music, and my third and fourth grade teacher played classical recordings for the class each day after lunch.

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) It was May 1, 1786... And I first saw a Mozart conducting an opera...
No... I wish.
I've always loved it.