Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Favorite Holiday Listens

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments My favorites change every year, but a few staples A Dog Named Christmas by Greg Kincaid

And The Stupidest Angel A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore

message 2: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments I agree on the whole A Dog Named Christmas Series.

Also A Redbird Christmas by, Fannie Flagg

The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by, Dave Barry

message 3: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I haven't listened to it yet, but a year or so ago Audible gave away A Christmas Carol, narrated by Tim Curry. I'm looking forward to trying it out this holiday season.

I also own, but haven't yet listened to, The Twelve Clues of Christmas.

message 4: by ✨Susan✨ (last edited Nov 24, 2013 09:42AM) (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments I have not read the Dave Berry book I will have to add it. I do love the whole A Dog Named Christmas series

also The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6) by Rhys Bowen

message 5: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments I have heard that the Tim Curry version is exceptional. Let us know what you think.

message 6: by ✨Susan✨ (last edited Nov 24, 2013 09:52AM) (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments A few more What Happens At Christmas (Millworth Manor, #1) by Victoria Alexander

And directed more toward the the adult sleuth The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Susan, could you add titles to your posts? I can't see what books you are recommending since I use the mobile app (just see a blank square)...

message 8: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments Kristie wrote: "I haven't listened to it yet, but a year or so ago Audible gave away A Christmas Carol, narrated by Tim Curry. I'm looking forward to trying it out this holiday season.

I also own, but..."

I loved the Tim Curry version he was fabulous!

Susan I have The Christmas Train on my wishlist for this December.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) Kristie wrote: "I haven't listened to it yet, but a year or so ago Audible gave away A Christmas Carol, narrated by Tim Curry. I'm looking forward to trying it out this holiday season."

It's excellent. But my favorite version is the one narrated by Anton Lesser.

message 10: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureenbranham) | 69 comments Not sure if anyone would be interested in a horror-based book with a Christmas theme but if you are I recommend NOS4A2. I am listening to it now and am almost finished. Very creepy! It is about Charles Talent Manx, a serial killer, who has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.

message 11: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3266 comments ♪ Kim wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I haven't listened to it yet, but a year or so ago Audible gave away A Christmas Carol, narrated by Tim Curry. I'm looking forward to trying it out this holiday season."..."

There's a wonderful version read by Jim Dale, the narrator of the Harry Potter series, that is wonderful.

For Agatha Christie fans there is "Poirot's Christmas".

The Twelve Clues of Christmas is perfect for holiday reading--an old-fashioned English Christmas--except I don't think murder is an English tradition. ;)

message 12: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments I just finished listening to Forbidden Fruit Forbidden Fruit (Corinna Chapman, #5) by Kerry Greenwood , one of the present-day Melbourne Corinna Chapman mysteries from Kerry Greenwood, who writes the Phryne Fisher mysteries. This is #5 in the series, but it's very easy to understand the players and the setting, and it has a lovely Christmas theme.

message 13: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Leslie wrote: "Susan, could you add titles to your posts? I can't see what books you are recommending since I use the mobile app (just see a blank square)..."

Sure, sorry about that, I did not know the mobile app can't see covers. The books I listed were: The Christmas Dog, and that whole series
The Stupidest Angel
The Twelve Clues of Christmas
What happens at Christmas
The Christmas Train

I enjoyed all of them for different reasons.

message 14: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Maureen wrote: "Not sure if anyone would be interested in a horror-based book with a Christmas theme but if you are I recommend NOS4A2. I am listening to it now and am almost finished. Very creep..."

Great book, totally creepy.

message 15: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Jeanie wrote: "♪ Kim wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I haven't listened to it yet, but a year or so ago Audible gave away A Christmas Carol, narrated by Tim Curry. I'm looking forward to trying it out this ho..."

What did you think of Poirot's Christmas? It's on my list.

message 16: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Joy wrote: "I love Jan Karon's Shepherds Abiding."

I bought that one, it is my library. I'm trying not to start Christmas reads until after Thanksgiving. It's getting harder the closer it gets :)

message 17: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments CatBookMom wrote: "I just finished listening to Forbidden FruitForbidden Fruit (Corinna Chapman, #5) by Kerry Greenwood, one of the present-day Melbourne Corinna Chapman mysteries from Kerry Greenwood, who writes the Phryn..."

I checked out this whole series, it sounds good

message 18: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3266 comments Susan wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "♪ Kim wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I haven't listened to it yet, but a year or so ago Audible gave away A Christmas Carol, narrated by Tim Curry. I'm looking forward to trying..."

Any Agatha Christie is worth reading and Hugh Fraser is the best narrator available especially for the Poirot books imo--even better than David Suchet who played Poirot in the TV series.

message 19: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Susan wrote: "
I checked out this whole series, it sounds good

CatBookMom wrote: "I just finished listening to Forbidden FruitForbidden Fruit (Corinna Chapman, #5) by Kerry Greenwood, one of the present-day Melbourne Corinna Chapman mysteries from Kerry Greenwood, w..."

I hope you will enjoy it. The narrator of the Corinna books isn't as good with multiple voices as the narrator of the Phryne Fisher books, but I do really like the voice she has for Corinna.

message 20: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Lol. I don't think I could stop either.

message 21: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Maureen wrote: "Not sure if anyone would be interested in a horror-based book with a Christmas theme but if you are I recommend NOS4A2. I am listening to it now and am almost finished. Very creep..."

There is another scary one that got pretty good reviews calledKrampus: The Yule Lord

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 168 comments A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens read by Jim Dale is my favorite holiday audiobook.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 143 comments I bought the tape " A Christmas Carol" read by Patrick Stewart and listen to it every year.

message 24: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Stephanie wrote: "I bought the tape " A Christmas Carol" read by Patrick Stewart and listen to it every year."

Yes; I really enjoy his voice. I finally found a copy of the DVD of Stewart playing Scrooge; I love the version, though other versions are almost as wonderful.

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen (rhyta) | 153 comments ♪ Kim wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I haven't listened to it yet, but a year or so ago Audible gave away A Christmas Carol, narrated by Tim Curry. I'm looking forward to trying it out this holiday season."..."

My most favorite version of Christmas Carol on audio is by Patrick Stewart. I saw him perform it live and he is amazing. I bet the Anton Lesser one is good too, loved his narration of the Sally Lockhart series.

I just ordered the Redbird Christmas story, it sounds like something I would love. thanks for recommending it.

message 26: by Javasapien (last edited Nov 25, 2013 08:52PM) (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments I've enjoyed:
The Redbird Christmas (Fannie Flagg)
Christmas With Tucker (Greg Kincaid)
And all of these by Richard Paul Evans:
The Gift
Grace: A Novel
Finding Noel
Lost December
The Christmas List

This year, I'm planning on the following (if I'm in the mood for 3 holiday ones. If not I'll save one for next year):
A Christmas Home (Greg Kincaid)
Starry Night (Debbie Macomber) (will be my first of hers)
A Winter Dream (Richard Paul Evans)

Question for you Royal Spyness lovers: I bought Twelve Clues of Christmas but I've only read the first two in the series. Would skipping to Twelve Clues ruin the "chronology"? That is, will it make reference to stuff in books 3-5 ?

message 27: by ✨Susan✨ (last edited Nov 25, 2013 09:53PM) (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments It was my first Spyness and I enjoyed it very much. I have read several others in no order. I think they can each stand alone

message 28: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3266 comments Javasapien wrote: "I've enjoyed:
The Redbird Christmas (Fannie Flagg)
Christmas With Tucker (Greg Kincaid)
And all of these by Richard Paul Evans:
The Gift
Grace: A Novel
Finding Noel
Lost December
The Christmas List..."

Not so much ruin as definitely having a spoiler regarding relationships. If you don't mind knowing who does or doesn't get together up to that point... although it does allude to other capers. But it is perfect for Christmas--and you do have time before then to read the intervening ones...

message 29: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3266 comments Joy wrote: "Susan wrote: "Joy wrote: "I love Jan Karon's Shepherds Abiding."

I bought that one, it is my library. I'm trying not to start Christmas reads until after Thanksgiving. It's getting harder the clos..."

Speaking of lacking self-control... the talk of "Shepherds Abiding" made me curious so I looked on Audible. Bought it. listened to it. Enjoyed it.
How could anyone have the willpower not to finish?? Now I have to finish listening to the two short stories included at the end.

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments Joy wrote: "I do believe Shepherds Abiding is my all time favorite book. I used to think another book was my favorite but I only read that book once and I re-read or listen to Shepherds Abiding every year.

In..."

I read the first several books in that series years ago, so am going to give this a try. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

message 31: by Jan (new)

Jan | 432 comments Just completed listening to A Dog Named Christmas. It was a sweet story. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last month I listened to Grace by Richard Paul Evans. I really enjoyed both the story and the narration. It is a perfect holiday choice.

message 32: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments Jan wrote: "Just completed listening to A Dog Named Christmas. It was a sweet story. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last month I listened to Grace by Richard Paul Evan... i The rest of the series is good too book Christmas with Tucker and A Christmas Home

message 33: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments Well Joy, I saw my library had Shepherds Abiding available but didn't think I'd have time for it in addition to the 3 holiday ones I already had lined up. But your description has made me cave in. I've put it on hold and will run out on lunch tomorrow to pick it up. :)

message 34: by Maureen (last edited Nov 27, 2013 05:15AM) (new)

Maureen (maureenbranham) | 69 comments Joy wrote: "I do believe Shepherds Abiding is my all time favorite book. I used to think another book was my favorite but I only read that book once and I re-read or listen to Shepherds Abiding every year.

In..."

Joy - do you have to read the other books in the series to enjoy this? My library has the ebook but not audio so I would have to purchase this one.

message 35: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Joy wrote: "I do believe Shepherds Abiding is my all time favorite book. I used to think another book was my favorite but I only read that book once and I re-read or listen to Shepherds Abiding every year.

In..."

Just down loaded it! Can't wait to start my Christmas reads. Thank you Joy

message 36: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3266 comments Maureen wrote: "Joy wrote: "I do believe Shepherds Abiding is my all time favorite book. I used to think another book was my favorite but I only read that book once and I re-read or listen to Shepherds Abiding eve..."

As someone who hadn't read the series prior to listening to this one, no, you don't have to read the others first. It gives you enough explanation and background so that you never feel like you've missed something important.
I'm guessing that it does have some spoilers regarding where peoples lives are at that point compared to the first 4 or 5 books, but I don't think it's the kind of series that knowing these things would ruin it.

message 37: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureenbranham) | 69 comments Thank you Joy and Jeanie! On the recommendation of a friend I did read the first book in the Mitford series in print and while I enjoyed it I was underwhelmed. I think that I would enjoy them more in audio. I really enjoyed An Irish Country Doctor series in audio which seems similar to the Mitford series. Listening to An Irish Country Doctor series was like pulling up a chair in front of a fire (in a pub ;) - maybe) and listening to an old friend.

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (themagicmonster) | 51 comments Yes that version of A Christmas Carol is excellent!

message 39: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 45 comments Most of what is already listed are faves of mine too esp A Christmas Carol (Tim Curry). This year I added Krampus: The Yule Lord. If your looking for a sweet sentimental story, this is not it. Of course I think everyone should make it Xmas read.

message 40: by ✨Susan✨ (last edited Dec 05, 2013 12:47PM) (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Just finished, An Irish Country Christmas (Irish Country #3) by Patrick Taylor
An Irish Country Christmas

and The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans
The Christmas Box

Both were very good.

message 41: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3266 comments I noticed Audible has posted a page of holiday reads... think someone from Audible has been lurking here? Anyway, I haven't listened to the audio version, but The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is another good holiday read.

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 143 comments My favorite is "The Christmas Carol" read by Patrick Stewart. However, like Kristie, I will be listening to the Tim Curry version as well as The 12 Clues of Christmas this year. OH, and that special free one by Molly Harper.

message 43: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Jeanie wrote: "I noticed Audible has posted a page of holiday reads... think someone from Audible has been lurking here? Anyway, I haven't listened to the audio version, but The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is an..."

Maybe they have been sneaking around. "oo". Lol
Is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever as funny as it sounds?

message 44: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3266 comments Susan wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "I noticed Audible has posted a page of holiday reads... think someone from Audible has been lurking here? Anyway, I haven't listened to the audio version, but The Best Christmas Pag..."

Yes, it's very very funny and touching by the end.

message 45: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3266 comments I simply have to add this... The Best Christmas Pageant Ever has a sentimental place for me because my mother, who passed away a year and a half ago, used to refer to the very unruly kids who lived across the street as the "Herdmans" after the kids of that name in this book. She never called them that within earshot just in case they knew the reference and even, in a very Southern lady sort of way, finished by saying, "bless their hearts."

message 46: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments I loved Tim Curry's version of A Christmas Carol...listened to it last year .

message 47: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments MissSusie wrote: "I loved Tim Curry's version of A Christmas Carol...listened to it last year ."

Me too. I think listening to it may become a new holiday tradition

message 48: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Jeanie wrote: "I simply have to add this... The Best Christmas Pageant Ever has a sentimental place for me because my mother, who passed away a year and a half ago, used to refer to the very unruly kids who lived..."

Lol. Bless their hearts or, isn't that nice. Two very southern sayings.

message 49: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 392 comments I've only heard Jim Dale's version of Christmas Carol, but I really liked it. I did The Stupidest Angel this year as well, which was... different. But very fun.

message 50: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3266 comments I almost forgot about one of my favorite cozy mystery holiday reads: Rest You Merry, the first book in Charlotte MacLeod's Peter Shandy series. I adore the whole series and love this opening with Christmas at Balaclava College and Shandy's practical joke for the Illumination of the Crescent.

« previous 1