Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Any ideas?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 128 comments I volunteer in my local library and one of my tasks is to create wall displays in the children's section - a job I loved doing in my teaching days.

There really is no spare cash for material - the entire library runs on the goodwill of volunteers - so anything I produce has to rely on spare bits and pieces I can lay my hands on.

I'm running a bit low on ideas and wondered if any of you creative people could help. So far, I've done author displays (e.g. Roald Dahl, Michael Morpurgo, Francesca Simon) where I've drawn and painted characters from the books, put up quotes and quiz questions, etc.

I've tried to entice the children to leave reviews, but they haven't been very forthcoming... too much like homework, I suspect!

The boards I have to fill are small and high up, so can't be interactive.

If you have any bursts of genius, please do throw them this way!

Thank you,
Helen

message 2: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Finnish | 77 comments If kids don't want to write reviews, maybe they'd be more willing to draw pictures? Our school library sometimes puts up drawings the kids make of their favorite books.

Or photo collages of kids and their fave books/events/etc, in the library? Kids always like to find themselves in photos. :-)

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 128 comments Thanks, V.K. I've offered drawing opportunities, too, but they don't seem that interested. Hey ho...

I'm just whizzing through the Wimpy Kids books as well as Molly Moon and Clarice Bean. Looks like I'll be doing more drawing and quoting again.

Photos would be lovely - as long as parents are happy with that. As yet, we haven't really held much in the way of events.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 28 comments Have you considered asking the authors for permission to use the artwork from their books? You could even do a google hangout event with them for the kids in the library to come and ask questions. I know author Mike Dunbar is doing stuff like that in December to promote his Castleton series. Mike Dunbar

message 5: by Helen (last edited Nov 26, 2013 08:42AM) (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 128 comments Hi Heidi,
No, I haven't sought permission as I haven't photocopied artwork. I focus on MG fiction rather than picture books, so usually the only art is on the cover. If there's a description of a character, I draw it as I imagine it.

I'm only there once a fortnight for a few hours and my time slot is one where children are still at school so I don't get to see them. I just have to keep the wall displays fresh for when they do come in after school.

I know there are plans to get authors in which will be great. I've been asked to speak about my books too.

Edited to add: Mike Dunbar would have rather a long journey to make as I'm in the U.K.!

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 28 comments But thanks to the internet, he could still talk to them ;)

You might also check out Deviantart and ask permission of the artist to use their fan art. I haven't noticed any for the books you listed, but there is tons of fan art, and a lot of them are really great about letting you "borrow" it for educational/ entertainment purposes, as long as you give them credit.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1662 comments Mod
You're welcome to use my covers :D

A collage of covers would be nice. And maybe you could get someone who does see the kids to set up a "draw your favorite book" contest or something.

Get your teddy bear to read books all over town and put up pictures of him doing it.