The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)
This topic is about The Lost World
Group Reads 2013 > December Group Read: The Lost World

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo | 1089 comments A very tight vote this month which resulted in a tie between the Lost World and A Voyage to Arcturus. I have created two separate threads to stop spoilers for anybody who plans to read both books.

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments My library has an audiobook of The Lost World. Amazon and Project Gutenberg have free ebooks

message 3: by Buck (last edited Dec 03, 2013 06:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments I hadn't read any Arthur Conan Doyle before and was pleasantly surprised. The Lost World was pretty good. I think I enjoyed it as much as anything we've read together yet. I had expected a tale of running from and doing battle with Godzilla-like monsters, but it turned out to be a reasonable portrayal of what I expect was the science of the time. There certainly was nothing laughable about the paleontology come to life, though I did wonder at our intrepid adventurers' repeated reaction to the pterodactyls as being 'loathsome'. The story isn't overwhelmed with dinosaurs, as I had expected it to be. There was quite a bit of racial classifying, in the name of scientific knowledge, which I guess reflects the times.

One thing that puzzled me: On the outset, our explorers expected that they may need to scale 1000-foot-high cliffs and yet they brought with them only 100 feet of cord, no climbing ropes or mountaineering equipment; and so it was their own poor planning, rather than treachery and misadventure, that trapped them on the hidden plateau.

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments There was one line that I particularly liked, near the beginning of the book. After his tumultuous meeting with the pugnacious Dr. Challenger, our narrator Malone, says this of Challenger's spouse: "She barred her husband's way like an enraged chicken in front of a bulldog."

I suspected then that I would like this book, and so I did.

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo | 1089 comments I've finished this one and it's difficult to comment on as it's really not my type of book. In general I don't really like adventure/exploration books and even though well written it's not changed my mind. It's slightly dated but I liked the way it was not too sensationalist so you could believe in their adventure. Not a bad book and I did wonder if it partly inspired Planet of The Apes.

Rosemarie | 432 comments I read this a few years ago, and it was one of the first books that I read in this genre of lost worlds. I thought it was a lot of fun.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) When I was a teen I read this several times. Not sure why as I didn't love others by Doyle, or other old adventures like Verne or Burroughs. I think it was the sheer audacity & verve of the adventure and of the writer's voice/ style. Someday I'll reread it.