Horror 101: Studying the Roots of the Horror Genre discussion

Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Nov 24, 2013 03:18AM) (new)

Kevin Lucia | 15 comments Mod
Any books or short stories you'd like to see discussed on future podcasts? Right now I'm laboring along THE HOUSE motif in horror/gothic fiction, so if you've got any recommendations, drop them here, and I'll see about working them into the show.

message 2: by John (new)

John Allen (johnpaulallen) | 1 comments Blood Related by William Cook.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 2 comments I know you've already covered The House Next Door, The Haunting of Hill House, and Hell House, and I strongly suspect you've done some of the others that pop into my mind, so...

House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski
Burnt Offerings, by Robert Marasco
"The Beckoning Fair One," by Oliver Onions
Haunted, by James Herbert

And even though this one doesn't exactly fit the motif you're talking about, I think it exhibits some of the same traits: H.P. Lovecraft's "The Haunter of the Dark"

message 4: by Kevin (last edited Nov 26, 2013 01:22PM) (new)

Johnathan -

You're a mind reader. Burnt Offerings I covered right along with Hell House (haven't posted that yet) and I have both House of Leaves and Haunted on my "to read" list, and I'll definitely check out those others!

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 2 comments Hey! Great minds and all...

Now that I think about it...didn't I hear you talk about Burnt Offerings and Hell House? Or did I dream that? Either way, Burnt Offerings is a natural for your show.

I think you'll flip for "The Beckoning Fair One."

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Yeah, I did both those two and The House Next Door, I believe. Will get those threads up and moving over the next few days. Thanks for the recommendations!

message 7: by J.F. (new)

J.F. Gonzalez | 1 comments Well, if you're going to use THE HOUSE as the motif for future podcasts, I'll second the recommendation of HOUSE OF LEAVES and add THE WOMAN IN BLACK by Susan Hill and "Pigeons From Hell" by Robert E. Howard. There's lots of others too, too many to mention, but so far I think you have a great start!

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Thanks! Gonna get these updated, because ironically enough, I just did The Woman in Black for the latest podcast. And good call about The Pigeons From Hell! I'd forgotten about that one!

message 9: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Glasser (larissaglasser) | 2 comments I've yet to read House of Leaves. I was determined to read Burnt Offerings--although the movie was cheesy as all get-out, it had some part that did scare the heck out of me (Bette Davis' death scene). The idea of the house collecting souls was so disturbing for me.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Burnt Offerings was wonderful, and it could've easily been about a family falling apart as it was a house pulling them a apart. I'm looking forward to reading House of Leaves, everyone has said so much about it....

message 11: by Anton (new)

Anton Cancre | 2 comments I'd recommend looking at Straub's Lost Boy, Lost Girl. The house has an interesting place as a character in that book. Besides, Straub. Also, have you hit on Poe's fall of the House of Usher yet? The connection of gothic house=family is a bit on the nose with that one, but it's a hard one to deny the value of.

message 12: by Anton (new)

Anton Cancre | 2 comments Larissa wrote: "I've yet to read House of Leaves. I was determined to read Burnt Offerings--although the movie was cheesy as all get-out, it had some part that did scare the heck out of me (Bette Davis' death scen..."

Maybe its the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia, but I never thought BO was cheesy. It was one of the first movies to really freak me out in my youth. Also a great bonding moment between my mom and I.

message 13: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) I really like your group!
Can you join my group called For the Love of Horror? If you love anything horror, syfy, fantasy, trillers then you'll like this we have it all. I'm trying to get more people involved with it. Can you promote my page on your group? Please? I can do the same one my group. We also are picking authors that are unknown to be give the chance of submitting their work to a fold so they can be picked to be that months book. It's really neat.
Spread the word.
Thanks.

Horror 101: Studying the Roots of the Horror Genre

unread topics | mark unread