SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)
All Book Discussions > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lauren Smith I'll start reading this later today. If anyone wants a schedule, let me know and I'll make one. Otherwise I'm just going to read as it suits me and you can do the same.

For those who have already read it but want to join in with the discussion, please use spoiler tags where necessary.

Enjoy!

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2045 comments Mod
I'd love to join you. I'll stick it in my bag and comment if I have a connection. I'm flying to Australia tonight and will be in the Outback for the next 10 days.

Lauren Smith Ooh, that sounds fun. Have a great time!

Lauren Smith Only read two chapters last night, but I already dislike this. I've fell in love with Valente's writing in her other books and short stories, but this time it has an extremely childish quality that I don't like at all. The abundance of detail felt rich and sumptuous before, but here it feels unnecessary and annoying.

I'm hoping I'll just get used to the style, or that it will change a bit once the plot gets going.

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
I read it earlier this year. I liked it but then I do enjoy kids books so am used to the childish quality. It definitely wasn't my favourite book of the year but I will probably carry on with the series. I haven't read any of her others, which would you say is the best?

message 6: by Lauren (last edited Nov 25, 2013 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lauren Smith I actually like children's fiction more than YA because it tends to be more adventurous, but there's something about the style of this that bugs me. It's better now that the plot's progressing, but I'm not loving it.

I loved the first two books of hers that I read - Silently and Very Fast and The Habitation of the Blessed. I also read The Folded World, but didn't like it as much. Silently and Very Fast is a novella that you can download for free as a podcast from Clarkesworld magazine, or you can read it there for free. I've enjoyed some of her other short stories on Clarkesworld too, and I'm quite keen to read Six-Gun Snow White and Palimpsest.

Thanks. I will check them out.

Lauren Smith At chapter 14

Starting to like this more now, although I'm not sure why. Maybe because September seems to be in real danger? The way she's turning into a tree is quite creepy, and she looks pretty scary in the illustration. It's a big deal for a little girl to lose her hair, never mind have her hands turn into branches, and her skin to bark.

I loved it when she cradled her Death in her arms and sang it to sleep.

The food in the bread/alchemy town also won me over. I love descriptions of sumptuous feasts!

Lauren Smith Finished.

Ok wow, I had a total turnaround. By the end I was absolutely loving this book. September goes through some serious ordeals, gets badly hurt and has to make such difficult decisions. (view spoiler)

I would give the book five stars if I liked the first half as much as the second half. Not quite sure how to rate it now but I'll definitely continue with the series.

I read it on the plane over here and enjoyed it as a fairy tale. It's a bit like the Narnia books. I agree it got better as the book progressed. I'll continue the series, I'm interested to see what will happen with the Marquess.

Sending this from a place called Tennant Creek. We're about 200km north of the mathematical centre of Australia on our way to Alice Springs.

Lauren Smith I'm actually reading a book set in the Australian outback now:
Albert of Adelaide by Howard L. Anderson

Are you there for work Carolien?

Looks interesting!

My husband is here working for BBC Radio on the Ashes cricket series until January, so I joined him for 10 days. We've been in Aus a few times for cricket since 2001/02 so we've been to the obvious places and the Darwin to Adelaide trip has been on the list ever since I read The Singing Line. It's been fun so far finding the telegraph poles and repeater stations on the route.

We also visited a place called Mataranka yesterday which is where We of the Never Never took place. We visited the cemetery where her husband's grave is.

We're in Alice Springs until Sunday and then going to Uluru and then to the world's biggest opal mine. Really enjoying the whole experience.

Lauren Smith It was kind of weird; I think I only liked it because all the characters were animals.

That's so cool checking out the places you read about in novels :) Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Lauren Smith Here's my review for the novel: http://violininavoid.wordpress.com/20...

I'm going to read the second book in December - anyone want to join me? Will probably start around Monday 9th.

I'll join you

I like your review. I'm booked to buddy read one of the 1923 Newbery Honors books so probably won't join you, but will see when you start.

Lauren Smith @Varla Fiona: Cool :)

@Carolien: Thanks! Well the thread will be there whenever you feel like jumping in :)

I need some easy reads if I have any hope of finishing BLIKSEM, and I think a fairytale is a nice option for December.