The Malazan Fallen discussion

Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
This topic is about Toll the Hounds
Group Read - Toll the Hounds > TtH - Chapter Six - No Spoliers

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Chapter Six discussion thread

message 2: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
Traveller runs into Shadowthrone and Cotillion and we learn a few interesting things.
We get even more explicit proof that Traveller is Dassem Ultor

‘Where is your army, First Sword? I see only dust in your wake.’

We learn Traveller/Dassem is on his way to reap vengeance from the reaper

‘I mean to kill Hood. I mean to kill the God of Death.’

Shadowthrone and Cotillion seem well apprised of the fact and offer aid to that very end. Which is rather curious seeing that Hood and Shadowthrone seemed to be best buddies in RG – Hood was tagging along when Shadowthrone approached Menandore early in that book.

Anyway, it was Gear, one of the Hounds that herded the bear to traveller – not to kill him but to feed him

‘Which one drove the bear to the coast?’ he asked.
‘Gear. You needed food, or you would not have got even this far.’
‘I was very nearly its supper, Cotillion.’

And it was Mael who was responsible for his shipwreck – seeking to delay his quest for whatever reason

Cotillion faced Shadowthrone. ‘Mael could have killed him easily enough, don’t you think? Instead, he set out todelay Traveller. We need to think on that. We need to figure out why.’

There are also two Hounds of Light replacing the two Hounds of Shadow – though they don’t seem to be there under Shadowthrone’s orders

Traveller glanced over at the two new Hounds. ‘And those ones?’
Cotillion followed his gaze, looking momentarily troubled before he shrugged. ‘Hard to say. They just sort’f . . . showed up—’

‘...Has it occurred to you,’ said Traveller, softly, to the god standing before him, ‘that they might be the fabled Hounds of Light?’

Shadowthrone gives Traveller the Hounds to aid him in his quest.

Meanwhile, Nimander and Co are almost seduced into drinking the black goup offered by the villagers. Even smelling the stuff is intoxicating – even a thousand scarecrows singing and bleeding the stuff isn’t off putting once under the spell.

Clip ends up slaughtering the village – but the priests take off with his soul.
Nimander and co set off in pursuit.

It appears that sometime that night there was an unleashing of Kurald Galain that brings a compulsion to violence – an awakening.

Awakened.
What lay in the tavern was only the beginning. Merely Clip and his momentary, failing frenzy.
From this point on, what comes belongs to us.

This release is felt all the way in Coral. Rake calls it “the war cry of Kurald Galain” and it falls to him to respond in some way

We also learn that Rake drank Tiam’s blood to make himself strong enough to enforce a peace

‘...Before Light’s arrival, we were in a civil war. Vulnerable to the forces soon to be born. Without the blood of Tiamatha, I could never have enforced . . . peace. Unification.’

But there was to be no Unification with Edur, Andii and Liosan at war.

Thugs have started robbing and raping pilgrims of the Redeemer. The high priestess of the Redeemer ask Seerdomin for help – unsuccessfully it turns out. She also wants him to resume his visits claiming that the Redeemer missed his undemanding companionship

It also looks like the black goup of the undying god that sends all the villagers crazy is being peddled in a weaker form all over the place – even in black coral

kelyk, a dilute form of saemankelyk, the Blood of the Dying God.

Meanwhile, Kallor is also marching across the continent – on his way to defy his curse – to take a crown and ascend to his own realm

A crown was within reach. A kingship waited to be claimed. Mastery not over something as mundane as an empire – that game had grown stale long ago – but over a realm.

He also intends to give the CG the boot – he is confident of being able to dump him as easily as excess baggage

a god broken and for ever doomed to remain so – oh, Kallor knew he could usurp such a creature, leave it as powerless as his most abject subject.

Kallor is also still being hunted by Korlat (Whiskeyjack’s lover) and Orfantal.
Kallor seems totally oblivious that he is being hunted in revenge for Whiskeyjack

How had he so angered Korlat and Orfantal? Was it because he did not stay, did not elect to fight alongside all the doomed fools on that day?

Kallor also notices the burgeoning power of Kurald Galain along with another he didn’t recognise

I wonder if this was a result of the clash between Clip and the priests of the Dying god?

It all smells like the crippled god to me anyway

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments I've liked getting this window into Kallor's mind. Also interesting he has a destiny to claim in Darujhistan. That sounds a lot like a hint that he's our Tyrant - and even if he isn't, I expect he knows something about him.

Lori Yea, I think he is definitely the tyrant that Crone and Baruk were discussing,

Also agree with Silvio that Kallor's mind is an excellent indication of everything that SE abhors and makes life empty - the lack of compassion, and love.

Sumant It appears that sometime that night there was an unleashing of Kurald Galain that brings a compulsion to violence – an awakening.

What i think happened is the ring which clip was carrying did it got robbed by the priests? and due to which kurald galain got unleashed.Also the blood which all these people are drinking is it the blood of the crippled god, because there many hints it is because the men and women do seem to enjoying each others pain.

Also looks like this blood is getting smuggled to black coral too because spinnock durav notices people having black tongues.

Also nice pick up regarding kallor being tyrant.

message 6: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1055 comments Mod
Why are they trying to help Clip? Seems to me he got what he deserves and they might be better off letting him lose his soul.

Also it seems like Karsa might be on a rampage, or at least that's what whoever has been watching his horse thinks (I don't remember what he did with his horse when taking the boat to Lethor).

message 7: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1055 comments Mod
And Kallor being the tyrant was my guess too after this chapter.

message 8: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob wrote: "Why are they trying to help Clip? Seems to me he got what he deserves and they might be better off letting him lose his soul."

Racial loyalty coupled with a compulsion that came with the unleashing of Kurald Galain - I'm just guessing.

message 9: by Silvio (last edited Dec 01, 2013 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments Rob wrote: "Why are they trying to help Clip? Seems to me he got what he deserves and they might be better off letting him lose his soul."

I like to see this as an illustration of how desperate the Tiste Andii are to find something to give meaning to their lives. They could have guessed Clip was no good from the beginning, but they followed him anyway because they needed someone to follow. Now he needs help and they'll help him, "just because there's nothing better for to do."

About Kallor. A lot of the nastier characters so far have been victims of some trauma, or imagined they were victims, and then lash out big time at everything. There's at least Felisin, Dryjhna, Rhulad, I'd say Karos Invictad from last book, and of course the Crippled God himself. Kallor seems like a different kind of villain in how cold-bloodedly he considers himself superior to everyone. He doesn't sound like he thinks of his victims as potential threats.

message 10: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kallor is interesting in that he is pragmatism taken to it's ultimate logical conclusion. He's highly intelligent but also blind to less pragmatic motives in others. For example, it never occurs to him that Korlat is hunting him down to avenge her lover, Whiskeyjack. Why expend so much effort with something that only achieves a triviality like personal revenge. He understands revenge, but he never lets it get in the way of furthering his own goals - Even his attempt on Nightchill has other goals other than revenge - killing Nightchill takes out a major opposition to his designs with the CG - and it also might have ended her curse on him. He killed Whiskeyjack simply because he was in the way.
What's the big deal Korlat? I didn't hate him. It was a fair fight. I won he lost. Get over it.

message 11: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori He's a classic psychopath! No feelings or humor if he wasn't so dangerous I'd pity him. He's never known joy.

Matthew (masupert) | 27 comments Did we ever find out in the earlier books what sort of being Kallor actually is?is he simply a human king who was cursed by the elder gods? Where does he derive his power since he doesn't quite seem to be someone who is a high Mage.

message 13: by David (last edited Jul 09, 2015 01:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David (davk) | 44 comments Matthew wrote: "Did we ever find out in the earlier books what sort of being Kallor actually is?is he simply a human king who was cursed by the elder gods? Where does he derive his power since he doesn't quite see..."

Only bits and pieces in Erikson's novels. Kallor's story is told in Blood and Bone by ICE.