Pakistani Readers discussion

Short Story Contest > [2013, Nov] Year 2999

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zenab (new)

Zenab Ch | 2099 comments Mod
The café was unusually crowded during the period of afternoon. It was the time when Mick and Adil usually had their routine coffee every day.

“Why do you hate robots so much?” asked Mick as their conversation had approached a contradictory statement.
“I believe the robots never gave humans nothing but misery” proclaimed Adil
“Really” said Mick with a repressing smile, “Robots have reduced human efforts in everything”
“Now my friend you don’t know the hawk from the hand-saw,” said Adil and took a warm cup of mug to his lips and taste the artificial coffee, “it was year 2156 when first robot was invented who could perform all those action that a common man could. Three decades later, the robots were modified to speak. Year 2212 saw robots being assigned light paper work in some government departments. Somehow that was the inception of using robots as servants. In 2272, robots became the most expensive servant. A hundred years later, World War 3 started and the robots were reprogrammed as warriors who proved to be extremely useful.

In 2400, a man called Jack stole four warrior robots and programmed them to serve him. For next six years nobody could catch Jack or disable his robots. He robbed banks and created an agitation of that century but fortunately a teenage hacker managed to hack the robots and set them on self terminate mode. Jack thus committed suicide and then it was obvious that the power of robot can excite human.

Within a decade, the use of robots was prohibited because a few more people hacked robots and used them for immoral deeds however people soon realized that life without robots was difficult so a man called Ali, in year 2480, made an antivirus that was absolutely incorruptible and could resist the hackers. Over night the sales of Robots sky rocketed. In 2499, an artist called Eddy made the first artificial skin that could cover the robots and make them look like humans.

In 2539, the worst thing happened, according to my judgment, scientist tried to installed human emotion in robots which allowed them to feel the entire set of human feelings like pain, happiness, anguish, misery, joy, fear and even tears.

In 2550, the skin was modified to grow thin threads which worked like hairs. And within a half century people started to maintain a sexual relation with robots and some even married them. In 2613, laws were made prohibiting humans from marrying robots and enforcing robots slavery.

In 2677, the robots made their first move against humans. There demand was freedom because now they could think also –“

“Hmm I did not know that” interrupted Mick.

“Yep every robot went on strike and for the first time the humans were penalized by their own creation. But the funny thing was all the robots ran out of battery in a mere six to seven days.” said Adil with a smile on his face, “By 2682, all the robots were reprogrammed with just one change, they could not think or create an idea.

“In 2736, a man made a robot that could produce its own electricity by inhaling carbon dioxide and henceforth every robot was produced in the same way. In 2744, a man called Naqash reduced the size of a metal molecule – as you know that a molecule is possessed more than one atom but Naqash made the size of a molecule so compact that now one atom was possessed of a thousand molecules which multiplied and grew.”

“Wow” said Mick as it he was half impressed half aware of whatever Adil was telling him.

“Which meant that the metal could grow like a human being” Adil Continued, “The substance made by Naqash was called Mmgs. He got a Nobel Prize for his research. First Mmgs robot came into market in 2750.

In 2782, the robots were equipped with an artificial heart, veins, brain and bowels. Every robot was made with span of 20 to 80 years and the most expensive ones were of 100 years old.

In 2832, World War 4 took place which caused an immense destruction and again the robots served the humans. In 2900, new laws were made that allowed a human male to marry a female robot but the female human could not marry a male robot.

In 2946, England was the first to give equality to robots. In 2986, Germany allowed equal rights for a short while.

It’s 31 December, 2999 today and I am glad that our country has not given equality to robots” completed Adil.

“You have a very profound knowledge about robots” said Mick
“My father use to tell me these things. He was a scientist” bragged Adil.
“How did you became a homicide detective?” asked Mick
“Oh I just like mysteries,” said Adil quickly “I just like to unfold the reality and taking off the mask of lie. I am a man of reality!
“Reality can be deceiving!” claimed Mick
“Why is that so?” ask Adil and frowned
“We live in a world where there are too many artificial things” said Mick
“You said that right” agreed Adil and took the artificial coffee down his throat “In fact, the world says that my father’s greatest achievement was making artificial oxygen”
“Yep I know that” said Mick “Your father was a great man”
“Indeed, he was,” agreed Adil “but when I was a kid I use to ask him that father what is your greatest achievement and he use to say that son it is yet to come”
“I think your father was a mysterious person” proclaimed Mick
“When he was on his death bed” said Adil without looking as if the flash back was in front of him “he brought me close to his mouth, for he could hardly speak, and he said that son I am leaving something to you and you will receive it when the time is right but until that day, believe in what you see. 27 years have passed by and I am still in seek of what my father left me”
“So… friend I am running late” said Mick and got on his feat “I think I will see you at the New Year party tonight”
“Sure” said Adil shaking hand with his friend
Mick walked towards the door but turn and said “Adil I don’t think I will be here tomorrow so let me say this today, Happy Birthday”
“Thanks Mick” said Adil

Adil got to his feet and after paying the bill he walked out of the café. Adil walked a few steps ahead when a robot came in front of him who was cleaning the street. Adil waited for a few second but then brutally pushed him aside as hard as he could.

“Get the hell out of here can you see a human is coming” said Adil repulsively

Adil walked towards a booth on which it was written “Teleportation Booth”. Adil entered it and stood right in front of a big screen. He touched the button on screen which said “Start”.
“Enter your Credit” said a female voice from inside the booth.
Adil took out a small round copper disk from his pocket, placed it in the semicircular in front of him and it began to spin.
“Please enter the fee” said female the voice.

Adil entered a few coin in the screen in front of him, an aggravating sound took hold of him and within a blink of an eye the view in front of him changed. Adil took out his Credit from the semicircular, opened the door of the booth and his house was in front of him.

Adil took out a remote from his pocket and pressed the top red button and the door of his home flew open. Adil entered the home and, as usual, his eyes tried to seek his wife.
He walked into the kitchen but saw no one but the robot maid. He walked in the living room and saw his wife so engrossed in the book she was reading that she didn’t notice him standing right in front of her.

“Laura” he said in calm volume.
Laura looked beyond the book and saw her husband smiling.
“Oh! I am so sorry” said Laura rising from her chair, “I really did not see you there.”
“That’s an offensive remark” said Adil taking his wife in his arm and kissing her forehead.
“But I just could not take my eyes of this book” said Laura lifting up a book on which the title was written in violet color ‘Rare Thoughts’, “It’s a captivating book with very enlightening notions”
“And what’s it on?” said Adil who had no clue what his wife was talking about.
“It means that the thing we feel very often but we shun them, thoughts that ransack over mind but we still don’t believe in them and…and -” said Laura with excitement
“And the things that are dubious, that are rarely trusted through this kaleidoscopic word” Adil completed Laura’s sentence, “I know what you are trying to express. Throughout my life, I have believed in what I saw and I will till…” Adil a long pause in seek of words but then thought otherwise. “What are your plans for the party to night”
“I am looking forward to be astonishing” said Adil’s wife.

Adil went to the party with his wife and after having a time of their life, returned back home at 4:44am.
“O God! I am exhausted” said Laura throwing on the daybed
“I think the sun will be up soon” said Adil
“By the way honey, Happy Birthday” said Laura with a brief smile
“Thank you dear” replied Adil taking Laura in his arms
“In the upcoming holidays, we will –” suddenly Laura’s voice faded. Her eyes perplexed and she got to her feat and walked towards the wall in front of her.
“Laura what happened?” asked Adil looking at Laura who was walking as if in dream. Worriedly, he walked to her and repeated again “Laura, what happen?” but still there was no reply.

Suddenly, a rough voice came from the bosom of Laura saying ceaselessly “System Paused”. Laura raised her hand and pointed her finger toward the wall. A maroon light came out her index finger and focused on the near wall.
“Hello son,” said Adil’s father through the projection. His eye broadened in astonishment. “If you are watching me, it means it is time for you to confront the reality! Something that you always knew but never believed; you only believed in what you saw.
“Do you remember you always asked me that what was my greatest creation? And I always use to say that it is yet to come. I use to lie to you! My greatest creation has always been something that was kept as a secret by our government.

“The more human expressed their pride, the more nature diminished. After the fruitless World War 4 had concluded, the humans realized that the wildlife was so gruesomely affected that only two or three animals were left unharmed and handful of forested areas survived and at that point humans decided to switch to artificial things.
“The soldiers who became handicap due to the war took privilege of the robotic hands and legs in order to live a complete life. The people who were already handicap were overwhelmed by the notion of living such a life but rarely humans knew that a little goes a long way.

“One day, a man called Mr.Stuvered came to me, telling me that he was about to die and he could not make himself tell his family so he offered a lot of money to make a clone of him. I could not refuse because of my poverty at that stage of life. I took all the data of his mind and converted it in to digital code on computer and I transferred it in to a mind of a robot, giving the robot the exact facial and physical features and voila! A clone of Mr.Stuvered was ready.

“News of my immoral action spread like a wildfire among gangster and the people of the underworld who wanted clones so that the robots could suffer in jail instead of them. Gradually the man from every side of the world, man from every occupation of world came to me but still there was a problem that the robots could not produce their own kind like human could.

“Yes, son that was my greatest creation. I made robots capable of reproducing just like humans did. I was caught by the cops, later sent to jail but my actions were kept confidential.

message 2: by Zenab (new)

“The year I was released was the time I met your mother and we got married. It was a brilliant year but suddenly, the next year a lot of humans started dying due to the lack of tree, plants and oxygen and human race was about end. Me and your mother where the only humans who survived because the rest were mere clones that I made and only I knew that the next generation that was about to take birth was mere robots who will produce their own kind.

“That was time I introduced the notion of artificial oxygen. We, your mother and I, wanted a child but we knew that he or she could not stay alive, so we decided to raise a robot. Yes son, you are not a human but in fact a robot.”

Adil’s eyes opened wide with horror. He could not believe the words of his father but then he saw his wife who was somehow pointing lights out of her finger.

“Your wife was also made by me. I programmed her to fall in love with you and I programmed her to give you this message at your 27th birthday because I did not want you to live a lie like others are living. I wanted you to know the reality that human race has gone extinct and those, whom you meet and see every day, are mere the inheritance of my creation. I was the last human that lived. I hope you can forgive me son.”

The video concluded leaving Adil’s life ransacked. Adil’s wife tripped on the sofa but Adil did not help her, he was feeling anger, frustration and devastation. He walked toward the window wishing that he was dead.

“Oh my head hurts”.

Adil turned around and saw his wife coming toward him holding her head.

“How long I have been a sleep? What time is it?”
Adil did not answer but kept on looking out of the window.
“What are you looking at?”
“Brooding upon the unknown world”
“It’s beautiful, enchanting and fascinating. It’s also ethereal, epic – as a matter of fact the unknown world is the reality”
“Reality can be deceiving” said Adil looking in to the rising sun of the year 3000.

message 3: by Owaiz (new)

Owaiz I couldn't stop reading this one. I didn't like the end but that's just me. Written really well. Only one thing, can electricity really be produced from Carbon Dioxide?

message 4: by Maira (new)

Maira | 5852 comments Mod
this is a only one i have read so far and who ever wrote it did a fantastic job of keeping my the reader's interest.

message 5: by Adeel (new)

Adeel Hasan (adeelhasan) | 78 comments Loved the fluidity. For some reason, eastern names don't seem to go well in sci-fi, but that just me. Very nicely composed.

message 6: by Riz (new)

Riz (rizla95) Zabardast! It is a beautifully written short story.

message 7: by Zenab (new)

Goodreaders please rate each story on a scale of 1-10 in the comments please. This way I can tally up the scores and choose a winner.

message 8: by Sameea (new)

Sameea | 292 comments *GASPS* that was an awesome twist. Brilliant storyline. :-) 8/10

message 9: by Xunaira (new)

Xunaira J. | 153 comments 7/10

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments 6.5/10

message 11: by Zenab (new)

Not my genre but 7/10

message 12: by Sohaib (new)

Sohaib | 6884 comments 5.5/10

Alot of ideas not properly worked through... But good progression though

message 13: by Maira (new)

8/10

message 14: by Syed (new)

Syed Imtinan Ahmed | 42 comments captivating till the last line;a bit fast paced but still had all the essential elements of a good short story.
7.0/10

message 15: by Adeel (new)

Adeel Hasan (adeelhasan) | 78 comments 8/10

message 16: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Who wrote it?

message 17: by Maira (new)

lie you don't know?? :P

message 18: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments I kind of know him. He is one mad man I tell you :-D

message 19: by Maira (new)

Rao wrote: "I kind of know him. He is one mad man I tell you :-D"

Oh....Mad is saying it lightly. :P

message 20: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Is there a difference between a person who is sane and that person when he is, in some way, mad? By extension, do the states of affairs we speak of as psychoses, neuroses, personality disorders, and adjustment reactions display any common features? We need adequate and coherent answers to these foundational questions if the persons about whom these judgments are made are to be properly perceived and if psychiatry as a historically emergent institution is to be rendered moderately intelligible.

message 21: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Rao wrote: "Is there a difference between a person who is sane and that person when he is, in some way, mad? By extension, do the states of affairs we speak of as psychoses, neuroses, personality disorders, an..."

This is called the theory of madness :-D

message 22: by Maira (new)

if you are taking figuratively then there are numerous reasons to call a person psycho or mad or have personality disorder where as in literally meaning there are various biological explanations like a very old wound that set of the trigger to the madness or personality disorder. in 60 percent cases the suffering person gets stuck somewhere in the past and cannot get past that particular moment.

message 23: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Maira wrote: "if you are taking figuratively then there are numerous reasons to call a person psycho or mad or have personality disorder where as in literally meaning there are various biological explanations li..."

Allow me to tell you something different that I read in Psychology...It is called the dissociative identity scenario it a kind of madness in which a person totally forgets himself and becomes another person and this illusion is so vivid that it can only be treated by eliminating the person . I was so astound that notion on which the movie Fight Club is based id in fact true and then I realized that one of my kin was also a victim of this disorder.

message 24: by Maira (new)

Rao wrote: "Maira wrote: "if you are taking figuratively then there are numerous reasons to call a person psycho or mad or have personality disorder where as in literally meaning there are various biological e..."

yeah. i have read about it somewhere too.

message 25: by Osama (new)

Osama (0042) | 257 comments If I rate the storyline, I'd give it 8 points. If I rate the execution, I'd give it 4. Average=6. So 6/10 it is.

message 26: by Osama (new)

Osama (0042) | 257 comments Rao wrote: "Maira wrote: "if you are taking figuratively then there are numerous reasons to call a person psycho or mad or have personality disorder where as in literally meaning there are various biological e..."

Oh, and did you just say that you diagnosed a guy with dissociated personality disorder after watching Fight Club? That's like saying that you made a fully sentient robot after watching I, Robot.

message 27: by Arbaaz (new)

Arbaaz Khan (arbaazkhan1999) | 1592 comments 9/10

message 28: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments arbaaz wrote: "9/10"

I assume that is my highest :-D thanks bro

message 29: by Arbaaz (new)

Arbaaz Khan (arbaazkhan1999) | 1592 comments welcome rao.

message 30: by Aeron (new)

Aeron Trahaearn | 529 comments wow.....just wow....and i dont even like science fiction how much research did you do??

message 31: by Aeron (new)

Aeron Trahaearn | 529 comments wow.....just wow....and i dont even like science fiction how much research did you do??

message 32: by Aeron (new)

message 33: by Aeron (new)

message 34: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments mimi wrote: "wow.....just wow....and i dont even like science fiction how much research did you do??"

Thanks Mimi...funny thing is that i have not even study science in school :-D ....i just knew few science facts so i turned them into fiction. :-P

message 35: by Aeron (new)

Aeron Trahaearn | 529 comments awesome...really its awesome

message 36: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments mimi wrote: "awesome...really its awesome"

Thanks Mimi... :-D

You just made my day. :-D