Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Non-White American Children's books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Myta (new)

Myta (mytsanti) | 57 comments I read somewhere today (well, Tumblr), that there's a lack of diversity in children's books, and I somewhat agree to that. I'm not interested on the matter and I'm wondering if there are historical fiction fit for children that are not White American-based. Since I'm starting a small community library, I'd like to have some diversity on the shelves.

Can anyone lead me to the right books?

message 2: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is a National Book Award nominee.

message 3: by Eileen (last edited Nov 24, 2013 06:33AM) (new)

Eileen Iciek | 468 comments When my kids were young, I recall finding a book for children at a library about Chinese immigrants. It was Tales from Gold Mountain by Paul Yee , Tales from Gold Mountain. It was actually on the reading lists for schools in our area.

message 4: by Myta (new)

Myta (mytsanti) | 57 comments Thanks Shomeret and Eileen. I've read Tales back when, but now I can't find it.

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 468 comments Myta wrote: "Thanks Shomeret and Eileen. I've read Tales back when, but now I can't find it."

I recall really enjoying reading the book with my daughter. We are not Chinese, but I was an Asian studies major in college. Also, it turned out that a lot of my daughter's friends as she was growing up were Chinese.

The cover that Goodreads had for this book is different from what I recall all those years ago. You might be able to find it on Amazon, possibly from a used bookseller.

message 6: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Myta, I put your topic under the recommendations folder. You'll probably get more responses there.

Have you looked into the American Girl Series? Some of the HF dolls, like Josefina and Kaya, are non-white. We talked about this in another thread, but there were some HF readers that started reading HF because of this series. Here's a link to the dolls: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/... If you click on the doll it will bring them to their story.

message 7: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Nov 24, 2013 07:15AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Here's a few more that I thought of:

How the García Girls Lost Their Accents- YA
Family Pictures by Sandra Cisneros
Hairs/Pelitos- not HF, but talks about diversity
Elijah of Buxton
The Book Thief- YA

message 8: by Myta (new)

Myta (mytsanti) | 57 comments Jackie wrote: "Here's a few more that I thought of:

How the García Girls Lost Their Accents- YA
Family Pictures by Sandra Cisneros
Hairs/Pelitos- not HF, but talks about ..."

Thanks for this!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanconder) | 68 comments Ellen's Broom by Kelly Starlings Lyons is an historical fiction picture book about former slaves finally being able to legally marry after the civil war.

Of Nightingales that Weep by Katherine Paterson is a chapter book set in medieval Japan.

message 11: by Rexcrisanto (new)

Rexcrisanto Delson | 60 comments Myta wrote: "I read somewhere today (well, Tumblr), that there's a lack of diversity in children's books, and I somewhat agree to that. I'm not interested on the matter and I'm wondering if there are historical..."

Hi Myta. You might want to check out The Boy Who Flew With Eagles . It's an American-Indian story that deserves to be read by children. I absolutely loved reading it to my niece, and she also loved it :)

message 12: by Donna R (new)

Donna R (goodreadscomuser_ainsco) | 30 comments Hawaii,
The Island-below-the-Star by James Rumford The Island-below-the-Star by James Rumford
Pele Goddess of Hawaiis Volcanoes by Herb Kawainui Kane Pele: Goddess of Hawaiis Volcanoes by Herb Kawainui Kane
Island Heritage Publishing will offer other titles. Many years ago while holidaying in Hawaii we found:
Issunboshi by George Suyeoka Issunboshi by George Suyeoka

message 13: by Myta (new)

Myta (mytsanti) | 57 comments Thanks all!