The Challenge Factory discussion

♦TCF Monopoly Archives♦ > TCF Monopoly Trudy vs Julie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Paris (last edited Dec 16, 2013 09:43AM) (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments

Roll Dice

Monopoly Rules

• You do not need to wait for the other player to finish reading before you take your next turn. As soon as you're done reading, go ahead and roll.
• Each property is represented by a shelf. For each grouping of shelves/properties you would read a certain amount of books from that shelf. Once you finish the amount of books you would then “Own” that shelf.
• If you land on an “owned” shelf you would have to read a certain amount of books above what the owner had to read.
• If one person “owns” all of the books in a group (think Mediterranean and Baltic) and another player lands on their properties they would be able to recommend at least one of the books that the player has to read.
Utilities – For the Electric Company – Read a book where the characters have electric chemistry. For Water Works – Read a book that makes you cry. Books have to be 150 pages or more.
• If a player lands on an “Owned” utility, then the owner will recommend a book with electric chemistry or that makes them cry.
Railroads – For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want. For Pennsylvania Railroad – Read a book set in Pennsylvania. For B&O Railroad – Read a book that someone else thought stunk. For Short Line – Read a novella. Page minimum 150 for all but Short Line. 25 page minimum for the novella.
• If a player lands on an “owned” railroad, the owner will recommend a book for that specific railroad.
Chance and Community Chest – there are 12 cards for each. If a player lands on one of those spots they will roll the dice a second time and then would “pull” the corresponding card and do whatever it says on the card. Once a card is used, it will be out of play unless needed to finish the game. Books for this would need to be at least 150 pages.
Being in Jail – To get out of jail you would need to have one of the get out of jail free cards, roll doubles on one of your next three turns or read a book where a character is arrested or has been in jail. Books for this would need to be 150 pages or more.
Just Visiting – Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum
Free Parking – Read any book 100 pages or more
Go – Read any book of 200 pages or more
Luxury Tax/Income Tax – Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more
• Each roll, you'll post your starting spot, the roll and your new spot on the board.
• When you finish your book you'll post the spot your on, book name, rating, when it was finished and a short review of the book. If you were supposed to read a book that had a specific element (water works utility, book that made you cry), then please mention that in the review.
• Re-reads are allowed.

Link to Frequently Asked Game Questions

message 2: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Property/Shelves

Mediterranean Avenue - Favorites Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Baltic Avenue - Fiction Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

Oriental Avenue - 2013 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Vermont Avenue - Wishlist Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Connecticut Avenue - Books I Own Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. Charles Place - Ebooks Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
States Avenue - Maybe Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Virginia Avenue - Book Club Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. James Place - Reviewed - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Tennessee Avenue - 2012 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
New York Avenue - Must Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Kentucky Avenue - 2011 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Indiana Avenue - 5 Stars - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Illinois Avenue - Re-Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Atlantic Avenue - 2010 Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Ventnor Avenue - Library Books - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Marvin Gardens - Recommended Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Pacific Avenue - Stand Alone Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
North Carolina Avenue - Love Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Pennsylvania Avenue - Part of a Series Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Park Place - Never Finished Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.
Boardwalk - DNF Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.

message 3: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 4: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments i rolled a 4- i am on income tax

message 5: by Julie (last edited Nov 26, 2013 09:52AM) (new)

Julie | 213 comments I rolled an eleven. I am on St. Charles Place. I am going to read Divergent by Veronica Roth.

Ok I finished. I enjoyed it. I liked Four better than any other character. I also like the faction erudite the best and I am not sure what that says about me.

message 6: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments I read mr. penumbra's 24-hour bookstore. clay starts to work for a 24-hour bookstore cause he has lost his job in web design and has no money (poor character) but his best friend neil is rich and own his own computer software company and helps clay figure out the mystery of the 24-hour bookstore. an interesting read and even though act 3 was a bit rushed in my opinion I enjoyed the epilogue of what will happen to everyone.

message 7: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments new roll is 4- i am on vermont ave. and will read allegient by veronica roth.

message 8: by Julie (last edited Dec 07, 2013 01:59PM) (new)

Julie | 213 comments I rolled a 10. That takes me from St. Charles Place to Kentucky Avenue.
I'm going to read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
I liked the book, found the names weird and got stuck the first time the ending of Jane Eyre was mentioned.

message 9: by Julie (last edited Feb 18, 2015 03:20PM) (new)

Julie | 213 comments We can keep track of who has what property and which cards this way.

Mediterranean Avenue - Trudy
Baltic Avenue - Julie

Oriental Avenue - Trudy
Vermont Avenue - Trudy
Connecticut Avenue - Trudy

St. Charles Place - Julie
States Avenue - Trudy
Virginia Avenue - Julie

St. James Place - Trudy
Tennessee Avenue - Trudy
New York Avenue - Julie

Kentucky Avenue - Julie
Indiana Avenue - Trudy
Illinois Avenue - Trudy

Atlantic Avenue - Julie
Ventnor Avenue - Julie
Marvin Gardens - Trudy

Pacific Avenue -
North Carolina Avenue - Julie
Pennsylvania Avenue - Trudy

Park Place - Trudy
Boardwalk - Julie

Reading Railroad – Julie
Pennsylvania Railroad – Julie
B&O Railroad – Trudy
Short Line – Julie

Electric Company-
Water Works – Julie

Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures- Julie
4. Yes Sir!- Trudy
5. Go Directly to Jail- Julie
6. Laugh Riot- Trudy
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces- Julie
8. Fight Night
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100
11. Pay the Hospital
12. You've won a beauty contest

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night
4. Get out of Jail Free- Trudy
5. Play Ball
6. Go to Jail- Trudy
7. Sing A Long
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy Trudy
10. It's Your Birthday
11. Great Job!- Julie
12. Pay For School- Julie

message 10: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments You be so smart

message 11: by Julie (last edited Dec 17, 2013 10:46PM) (new)

Julie | 213 comments I rolled a five. Started on Kentucky Ave. now I am on Atlantic Ave. For my first book here I am going to read Dead Until Dark by Charlene Harris.

I honestly feel as if I have arrived late to the party by not reading this sooner. I am unsure if I should have accepted the invitation. It also felt something similar to peer pressure convincing me I should read this. I am feeling the same about the rest of the series.

For the second book I have to read to own the property I am going to read Matched by Ally Condie.

message 12: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments Finished alliegent- I enjoyed it. I liked how it discusses the different forms of bravery and the importantly a of being able to choose the kind of life we want to have.

message 13: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments So I now own Vermont- don't know how to add that to your list. Next roll landed on community chest and my roll is yes sir- I need to read a book with a bossy character. I will read delusion in death by jd robb

message 14: by Trudy (last edited Jan 19, 2014 07:00AM) (new)

Trudy | 132 comments I finished Delusion in death and I liked it. It was good to see dallas working with the HSO and I am liking that she is working through all her issues with her dreams and that they arent haunting her as much. It was also fun to see her and summerset work together a bit for this one.

Next roll was 5- onto chance. rolled a 4 so have a get out of jail free card. next roll was a 12 so am on Pennsylvania Ave. I have to read two books from a series. I will read takedown twenty by janet evanovich and Matched by ally condie

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments I finished Matched by Ally Condie.

First things first, I don't like love triangles. One of two things happen. One of the three in the triangle is a douche and you wonder why anyone finds them attractive. The other scenario ends with you feeling bad for someone. This book ended and I felt bad for someone. I liked both of the guys, in fact they were the best part.

I rolled a 6 and went from Atlantic Ave to North Carolina Ave. The first book I am going to read is Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.

message 16: by Julie (last edited Feb 05, 2014 06:40AM) (new)

Julie | 213 comments Okay, so I finished Clockwork Angel.

This was my first Cassandra Clare. I really enjoyed the language and the action. There were characters I liked, characters I didn't like and characters I still don't know if I liked. Honestly Charlotte and Henry were two people I do not know what to do with. For some reason I think I would have liked them more if I had met them while standing on my head. Not sure why I feel that way, maybe because we are never really given their motivations.

The next book I am going to read is The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen.
Finished The Moon and More. I liked how Emaline wasn't the only character who evolved and had personal growth.

message 17: by Julie (last edited Feb 09, 2014 08:34PM) (new)

Julie | 213 comments I rolled an 11 and went from North Carolina Ave. to Baltic Ave.
I am going to read The Archived by Victoria Schwab.
I finished this and have been trying to come up with something to say. I thought the concept behind the story was original. That made the book just weird. The bad guy was predictable, but what can you do.

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments I rolled a 4 and landed on Chance. Then I rolled a 12 and need to read a book where someone goes to school.
I am going to read Fallen by Lauren Kate.

message 19: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments I finished takedown twenty- it was funny and a typical stephanie plum so was a good laugh and a nice fluffy read. Next book will be Matched.

message 20: by Julie (last edited Feb 16, 2014 08:29PM) (new)

Julie | 213 comments I finished Fallen.
I firmly believe if the author deleted the three primary characters and made a story involving the secondary characters the story would have been much better.

I have rolled a 10. Now I am in Community Chest. I then rolled a 3. Holiday book. I am reading Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy by Karen Foxlee.

message 21: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments I finished matched- and I agree with you i don't like triangles, but was good to reread because i want to read the next one. so am done with pennsyvania ave. next roll was a nine, am now on baltic ave which you own so need to read two books. am going to read and then there were none by agatha cristy and the thirteenth tale by diana setterfield

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments Trudy wrote: "I finished matched- and I agree with you i don't like triangles, but was good to reread because i want to read the next one. so am done with pennsyvania ave. next roll was a nine, am now on baltic ..."

What are the odds that you would land on a property already owned?

message 23: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments I know right! Oh well. Needing to read two books does put a dent in my to read pile

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments Trudy wrote: "I know right! Oh well. Needing to read two books does put a dent in my to read pile"

I have noticed this game is helping my pile as well.

message 25: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments Finished and then there were none- super creepy, but good at the same time. A very good halloween story. I havent read many of Agatha Christie's books, but the few I have have been good. Now to finish the thirteenth tale.

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments Finished Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy.
There is one thing that really bugged me. Throughout the entire book Ophelia was trying to figure out a specific mystery. That was fine, but we are never given the answer. They couldn't just have that be the last line or something?

I rolled a 2. Now I am on New York Ave. I am going to read Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare.

message 27: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments Finished the thirteenth tale- I liked it, I liked the blending of the two different perspectives being told at the same time. I also was ok with how the book ended. next i rolled a three so am now on Connecticut ave. so i need to read a book i own- am going to read princess of the silver woods

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments Trudy wrote: "Finished the thirteenth tale- I liked it, I liked the blending of the two different perspectives being told at the same time. I also was ok with how the book ended. next i rolled a three so am now ..."

Gee I wonder where you got that book?

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments I finished Clockwork Prince. I loved how we got to know Will and his backstory better.

I rolled a nine. I am now on Water Works. I am going to read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments I finished The Last Lecture. I really liked his attitude. He knew he was going to die, but he didn't let that stop him from living.

I rolled a 5 and landed on Community Chest. Then I rolled another 5, so now I am in jail.
I think I am going to re-read Naked In Death by J D Robb.

message 31: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments I finished Princess of the Silver Woods-and I was delightfully surprised. I didn't love the second book so didn't have high expectations for this one, but I really enjoyed it and really enjoyed how the author has made the princesses age and develop as characters throughout the three books. My next roll is a nine which puts me on tennesee ave-I will read Cinder by Marissa Meyer

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments I finished Naked in Death again. I really like how Eve gains the relationships she has and doesn't know what to do with them.

I am now out of jail. I rolled a 4 and landed on Virginia Ave. I am going to read Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.

message 33: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments I finished Cinder- this was a re-read but it has been a while so there are things that I didn't pick up the first time. I like this retelling of the story- is new and refreshing and pretty fun. My next roll is a 5 which puts me on Indiana Ave. I am going to read the giver by lois lowry

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments I finished Shatter Me.

The first hundred or so pages really appealed to me. I thought the internal question of sanity Juliette kept asking herself was interesting. The fact that she had spent most of a year in isolation and had only herself to converse with, would have made the issue of insanity a very real possibility. Then she got a roommate. Her reactions to him both internal and external were interesting along with his reactions to her.

message 35: by Julie (last edited Mar 18, 2014 04:12PM) (new)

Julie | 213 comments My next move is a little convoluted.
Started on Virginia Ave. and rolled a 5.
Landed on New York which I already own so I rolled again and got a 3.
Landed on Chance and rolled a 6- the card was already taken, so then rolled an 8.
Go back 3 spaces and I am back on New York Ave, which I still own.
Rolled and landed on Water Works- I own. So I rolled a 5 and landed on Community chest.
Rolled an 11. Pay the Hospital.
Not sure what I am going to read. I will get back to you about that.
Okay. I got a book. Simple Genius by David Baldacci.

message 36: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments Finished The Giver- I have always liked this book. It has been a while since I have reread it, and I think different things stick out each time I read it. The Creepiness of what his father does when he is releasing the new children hit me this time. A society obsessed with sameness you would think they would welcome twins. anyway, my next roll is a nine which puts me on North Carolina Ave, which you own so I have to read 4 books. I will be here a while :) first will be The Selection by Kiera Cass

message 37: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments ok, still reading the selection, but also will add Clockwork Angel, The night Circus, and Stardust to my books to read for this shelf

message 38: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments Trudy wrote: "ok, still reading the selection, but also will add Clockwork Angel, The night Circus, and Stardust to my books to read for this shelf"

I loved Clockwork Angel. I hope you enjoy it.

message 39: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments I finished the selection, and quite enjoyed it. I was hoping there wouldnt be a love triangle in it, but of course there was, but it didn't take up as much of the plot as I was thinking it would which was good. Now am onto Stardust.

message 40: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments Finished the Night Circus as book number two (only two more to go!) and I didn't love the book, but it was ok. I liked the sacrafices that Marco and Celia make for each other and how the circus was described as a love letter of tents between the two of them. Now to finish the Clockwork Angel(which so far i am really likeing) and stardust.

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments I finished Simple Genius. I liked it more than book two and found the psychology that went along with Michelle's storyline.

I rolled a six and am now on Boardwalk. The first book I am going to read is All that Glows by Ryan Graudin.

message 42: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments I finished the Clockwork Angel and I really liked it. I totally agree with you about Charlotte and Henry- half the time I forgot they were in the book and then they would show up and I would need to remind myself they were part of the story. Just need to finish Stardust and I can roll again!

message 43: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments Trudy wrote: "I finished the Clockwork Angel and I really liked it. I totally agree with you about Charlotte and Henry- half the time I forgot they were in the book and then they would show up and I would need t..."

I liked both Charlotte and Henry more in the second book.

message 44: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments Julie wrote: "Trudy wrote: "I finished the Clockwork Angel and I really liked it. I totally agree with you about Charlotte and Henry- half the time I forgot they were in the book and then they would show up and ..."

good to know- I just got the second one from the library

message 45: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments Finely finished Stardust- and is one of those books where the movie was better. My next roll is a 5 and that takes me to Park Place. I will be reading Gone Girl, Graceling, and The Graveyard Book.

message 46: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments ok so started gone girl and I really am not feeling the vibe for it at the moment. so am nixing that one. don't know which book i will read instead, but will keep you posted.

message 47: by Julie (new)

Julie | 213 comments Trudy wrote: "ok so started gone girl and I really am not feeling the vibe for it at the moment. so am nixing that one. don't know which book i will read instead, but will keep you posted."

I have heard that is one of those books people either love your hate.

message 48: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments I think it could be a good one- but just wasn't in the mood for that kind of book this time I think. Need something different.

message 49: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 132 comments ok- so it turns out that my book club book this month is on the list so am totally going to count it! it is Ghost Girl

message 50: by Julie (last edited May 01, 2014 02:17PM) (new)

Julie | 213 comments My second book for Boardwalk is going to be Insurgent by Veronica Roth.

My first book for Boardwalk is finally done. All that Glows

The best part of the book was how fast it was to read. Yes it took me weeks, but I was really distracted during that time. Once I sat down just to read it went really fast. My biggest problem with it is for every time I have something to say about the story I also have a but...

I was looking for a book on the DNF shelf and found The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I figure since I finished it yesterday it counts so now I am two books down for Boardwalk. Yeah for me.

« previous 1 3