bononohs book club discussion

Catch-22 > Week 2/3 update

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 12 comments I'd gotten behind on my reading/posting, so if you're in the same boat as me and have read past chapter 10 but not quite to chapter 30, post some thoughts here! Currently I've read through chapter 24.
I'm starting to get lost in this book, and not in the good way. The chapters where war is featured (like chapter 11) go over my head a bit since the narration is so unreliable. Is Yossarian a pilot?
Luciana is such a flat female character and that makes me sad because she never had a chance to be a fully fleshed out character with a narrator like Yossarian. Also war stories always seem to leave out the women.
When Yossarian pretended to be the dead soldier, I feel like everyone knew it was a sham (except maybe the mom). I'm not sure how much I should read into that- there are certainly times in life when everyone knows they're putting on an act but goes along anyway; then again, the chapters feel so inconsequential that maybe it's just another random thing in the life of Yossarian.
I LOVE that the doctor called out Yossarian for faking in the hospital- I was wondering if anyone had any brains at all! And this gets at something else- it took me longer than it should to realize that the timeline jumps all over the place. I'm ok with it, but I know that this book is read in some high schools, and I can see this just flying right over their heads.
Re: chapter 22: Milo the Mayor: Catch 22:: The Ballad of Jayne Cobb: Firefly.
I love the "How long will America last?" conversation!
Buuuuuut Milo bombing his own troops is fucked up.
Anyway...
Is there a list of books people have suggested so I can go ahead and select December's book? I want to make sure people have time to get it!

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine | 30 comments Mod
I'm also behind and it's because I really don't like this book which means it's hard for me to read. haha I know that's not really a good excuse, but oh well.

I don't really like how Yossarian is presented, and it really annoys me that I have such a hard time following each paragraph.

Yossarian bombing his own troops blew me out of the water because WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?

As for next month: I vote something with women. Which is super nonspecific, but that's really my only request at the moment. Hmmm, I don't really know what I want. I mean, I'd be good with a Sisterhood of the Traveling pants type book. So yeah. Just as long as there are a lot more women than Catch-22 (which shouldn't be hard to do at all).

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 12 comments Don't worry, I'm DEFINITELY on the same mindset as you for the next book! I was looking through some of the old posts and seeing that someone had mentioned Anna and the French Kiss, which is probably what I'm going to go with.

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly Kopplin (mek20019) | 9 comments The bad news is I'm woefully behind because last week I had too much and I have a first draft due tomorrow. The good news is Thanksgiving break is at the end of this week, so I'll finally be able to catch up on Catch-22. I'll post then and sorry, the end of the semester just always gets a bit hectic; I just didn't plan on it getting this hectic.