Gather Yourselves Together discussion

June > ....aaaaaand were done now! (say it with feeling)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments
What that is the ending,
I think they need an epilogue to say what happened to the other characters. I understand the story isn't really about them so I shouldn't care, but they are a BIG part of the story. Did Harry and Cass find another village, did her brother really die?

I would also like to know what happened to her original village, did every one really die, or did they rebuild?

My final "I want to know" is what happened to village XIV? Did they escape to the other village by the ocean or did they all get unconsecrated? Village XIV seemed so prepared and they left it all behind with out a trace or a clue. I can't imagine they all died.

I think the Author is doing the thing where since the main character doesn't know you don't get to know. But I don't care, I want to know.

Really this is just the tip of the iceberg. I think the Author did a horrible job at answering all the questions she brought up.

Maybe she is planning on a sequel where they will answer these questions.

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments I'm betting the author's counting on the overall theme of the book to pull her through. That is, if those other characters fight hard enough, if they want it badly enough, if they sacrifice and never give up, if they DESERVE to survive, they will.

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments That is true, I agree with that, but I didn't think that Cass was strong enough to make it as far as she did. I thought she would turn back at the first big obstacle. I guess the only reason she didn't is because of Jacob.

I know it is more about love being stronger then anything else. It was everyone's love for someone or something that got them as far as they needed to go in the book. But I still want to know more then she left us with. That is why I think an epilogue would have been perfect at the end.

message 4: by Tiffany (last edited Jun 21, 2009 08:16PM) (new)

Tiffany | 194 comments Mod
I agree that the book was lacking. But first, the good things.

It was fast paced and kept my heart beating fast. It was kind of sexy, but not oversexed. That scene where they are in the bed and Travis puts his hands on her hips made me blush a little. But it was still clean. Well done, Carrie. The flow of the book moved quickly and I didn't think there were any dull spots. I also like how she made me feel like the Unconsecrated weren't that scary. They are a part of the character's everyday life and she made us feel the same way, like they were there in the background, but not terrifying ALL the time.

Now on to the bad. I agree with you guys, that there were too many questions unanswered. I want to know more about the sisterhood and what they knew. If at some point, all of these people from these different villages knew about each other, why didn't they keep in contact? Also, are there other villages? What happened to Harry and Cass? Do the people near the ocean go to rescue them? How many people live near the ocean? And so on and so on.

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments I have heard buzz about a sequel that would have a different main character. But I'd be okay with that. As long as I get some answers! I felt like Mary's part of the story was (or at least could be) pretty complete, in that she finally reached the ocean and found out that there really is a world beyond the forest. But I want to know a lot more about the world in which the book takes place. There could be prequels! Sequels! Spin-offs! The possibilities are there for a lot more about the world, how it came to be, and even about the specific characters.

On to what I liked. The atmosphere of the book was very creepy, especially whenever she emphasized that they were constantly surrounded by the moans of the Unconsecrated. But I agree with Tiff, usually I didn't notice it because it was such a part of their lives. I also thought it was kinda sexy but not in a way that made me feel super awkward. And it was very fast-paced. I zoomed through it in a hurry. Never a dull moment.

What I didn't like--AUGH!!! Don't kill Travis!!! Other than that, my main complaint was the lack of answers. And I am willing to wait on those for the sequel. If there is never a sequel, I reserve the right to change my mind and be slightly bitter.

Anywho, overall I really liked it. I hope their is a sequel, not only so I can find out more, but because I really liked the style of the book. And, once again, I think it's quite different from the other books we've read, so that's fun.

message 6: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments @ Meredith I think Travis had to die, Mary wasn't happy enough with him. She was in Love with the Ocean more then him. I was glad he didn't have to live a long life with her, and always be second best in her eyes.

I do agree that I would be fine if Mary's story ended their. She doesn't need to be part of a sequel for it to work.

Prequel is a GREAT idea. I kind of think of a prequel being a lot like "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson

message 7: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments Okay, straight from the horse's mouth (ie, the author's blog): "A sequel/companion book, The Dead-Tossed Waves, will be out Spring 2010." So there you go. I really hope that some of the questions I have from this book will be addressed in that book. I'm okay with some mystery, but not a lot.

@Becca-That's true about Travis. I'm also glad that he didn't have to live being second fiddle to the ocean. But I really wanted her to love him as much as the ocean. I understand why she didn't love him more than she loved the idea of the ocean. She really needed the wide open world, and more than their crazy little village. I agree, I couldn't live there, especially if I thought there was something more. But couldn't they go there together?!?!?!?! Sigh. Poor Travis.

message 8: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments Oh, ha ha! After a bit more digging, I found out that this is actually the first of three books (ah, the dreaded trilogy!). So she has two more chances to impress us! Assuming we were impressed enough by the first book to read the other ones. So, there ya go.

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

Okay, I like it a little more now that there will be more to the story.

And I am a little bugged by Mary. Typical teenage girl or man: she talks about how Travis is her one and only true love and then just a few weeks later, she's like "meh. I don't really want to spend time with him anymore. I'm gonna climb up this ladder cause he can't follow me and I'll spend my days there."

message 10: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments I know! I was really mad at Mary for doing that too. Once again, poor Travis. Although, I must admit, that moment when he becomes zombified and Mary chops off his head was pretty awesome. In a sad way.

Another thing I've been thinking about was her relationship with Harry. I really would have liked to know more about that. It seems like she just hates him for so much of the book, but we know that they've been friends for a really long time. Okay, apparently I don't really have a thought about this, I just wish it had been addressed a bit more. A lot of the human relationships were ignored a bit to focus on the mystery. Which would be fine if the mystery had been solved!

I guess my real point here is that I really,really want to know more and I really, really hope that the sequels help us out.

message 11: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments @ Tiff I agree 100%. It is like wanting something so bad it hurts, then getting it and deciding it wasn't worth it. When that was going on I kind of thought it was a, "look for love not lust" kind of thing and she was going to end up with Harry because she realized that she lusted Travis didn't love him. Obviously I was wrong.

message 12: by Tiffany (new)

Well, guys, it looks like we'll have to wait and see if the sequel helps answer the one million unanswered questions we all have.

I think we all agree that it was good, but there were too many questions that were unanswered.

message 13: by Chelsea (last edited Jul 06, 2009 03:57PM) (new)

Chelsea | 58 comments Okay, I don't know why everyone, including Travis, kept asking Mary why they weren't enough for her. Uh, hello? They are surrounded by zombie people that want to eat them. I would think that ALL of them would want more of a life than that. I don't think Mary loved the ocean more than Travis. I just think she realized that the life they had been living--trapped, hunted, always fearful of when the Unconsecrated might break through, etc.--wasn't a full life. That there had to be something more. A place where they might have a chance to have more freedom than their prison, because seriously, that's what their village was, that's what the second village place was. She loved Travis, okay?!! Alright, I shall carry on with my other thoughts. Overall, LOVED it!!! I really loved it. I don't think it was perfect, but I could not put that sucker down and I've been thinking about it ever since I finished it. The bad--You know how when Mary's mom and Travis died how Mary expressed real regret for not having known them better? Well, that's what I thought about the characters of this book. I liked them, I wanted them to live (boy, that wish didn't come true with a whole bunch of them), I wanted them to find happiness and peace. However, I didn't feel like I really knew them as well as I wanted to. Even Mary, the main character, was only really described based upon her desire to get out of the village and find that there was more to the world. Obviously that was a huge part of her personality or whatever, but I thought there could have been more dimensions brought out. Also, I agree that there was a lot unanswered. However, for most of the things, it didn't bother me because it really seemed like so many of the questions were being set up to be answered in later books. One question I had that I thought should have been answered in this book and since it wasn't I don't think it ever will be, was why, if Harry really loved Mary so much, why didn't he claim her right off the bat? I didn't really buy that he dug her as much as he supposedly did. I wanted to see why he loved her and how he showed that or whatnot. Eek! I'm trying to type a ton of thoughts super quick and I don't know if any of it is making sense. Hopefully, yes. I thought the book was crazy exciting and also incredibly heart-breaking. When Jed has to kill Beth--so sad. When Mary kills Travis--kill me now too. It went beyond just seeing a love one die. It was so much worse than that. It was having to watch them turn into the nightmare that they ran from. It was having to take the freaking axe and chop off their head so they wouldn't kill you too. My heart really did hurt. And I really hope Jed didn't die. I mean, really, I think Carrie Ryan has killed a sufficient amount of characters to keep things real. Anywho, I am uber excited to read subsequent books. Huzzah!

message 14: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments I'm glad you loved it! I really like your thoughts. Good call about Mary. You're right--she should want more. Now that I'm thinking about it from your point of view, I'm seeing that she really did love Travis. And I'm glad for him, even though he's dead. But I maintain that when she left him by himself while she was up in the attic for weeks, that was a lame thing for her to do.

That's also a very good thought about her relationship with Harry. I thought that too, while reading it, but then I kind of forgot. If he really loved her so much, why did he let her go off with the sisters? I feel like he probably offered for her after the part with the sisters to make Travis jealous. Like, he had decided that he could live without her, but once Mary and Travis really started liking each other, Harry was like, "Oh, heck no! That's my woman!"

I also really hope that Jed lived. I'm not sure how realistic that is, but there you go. It's possible, though, since we didn't actually see them chop off his head, or anything.

Okay, I hope I'm not sounding crazy since I'm trying to address all of Chelsea's points. I very much agree with not knowing the characters well enough. I wanted to know more about every single one of them! I felt like, even without Carrie Ryan addressing all of the "What happens to everyone at the end?!?!?!?!" questions, the book still could have been at least 100 pages longer. That way, the characters could have been more fleshed out. Hee hee. Zombie joke.

As I already noted, I loved/hated the part when Mary killed Travis. It was incredibly heartbreaking, and I think it really encapsulated the whole horror of their world in that one little section. Everyone that you love could turn against you at any time, with no chance of ever changing back. Ooh, still gives me shivers.

I'm very excited for the other books, too. Thanks for picking this one, Chelsea!

message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments Chelsea--good call! I completely agree with you on every point--especially the loving it, but not KNOWING it well enough. I don't feel like I could recognize these characters if I saw them walking down the street. YES, I KNOW, fictional characters don't walk down our streets, but you know what I mean. I think I'll give the sequel a try as well. But it would have to REALLY impress me... if it feels as teasingly incomplete as this one, I'm afraid I'd have to retire the author. Still, I'm glad I read it. Exciting and unique.