Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Brave New World
This topic is about Brave New World
New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Brave New World: NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9432 comments Mod
December 2013 Contemporary Classic Read.
No spoilers in this thread, please.

Holly (hollycoulson) I've just started this, and it's interesting how easily I'm getting through it this time around. My failed attempt a few years ago has always frustrated me, so it's going to be interesting to see if I can get through it this time!

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven't read this one since high school. Long time ago.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's December! Who is in for the read this month?

Pink | 6556 comments I won't be re-reading, but I'll join in discussions. I read it earlier this year and it's now one of my favourite books :)

Trisha | 492 comments I read this novel awhile back and was definitely creeped out by it. I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks of it. Lots of ethical questions to be discussed!

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 13 comments I haven't read this in years. I'll reread, as I'm sure I've forgotten much.

message 8: by Mae (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mae (melissa5626) | 53 comments I love post apocalyptic books...I hated this one. I'm not even sure why I hated it. I read it a couple years ago. Maybe it was the characters. I was just looking through comments and it seems like most people love this book. Let me know if anyone else hates it and we can figure out whats the deal.

message 9: by MK (new) - rated it 4 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I have it on my kindle - picked it up in September of 2012 as a Kindle Daily Deal, it looks like. Haven't read it yet, so I will try to get to it this month.

I was just re-reading the description on Amazon. It made a reference to Huxley taking the idea of utopia, and turning it on its head, to bring us the first dystopian novel. Was this really the first dystopian novel written? That seems too incredible to be real...

Katerina | 23 comments I have picked up the book to read. I plan to start it as soon as I finish the one I am currently reading.

message 11: by MK (new) - rated it 4 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Starting Brave New World today...I'm interested due to its appearance in the 2008 US presidential race, the Democratic nomination contest between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Anytime remember that devastating ad that ran against Clinton during the primary race? I think it was actually a spoof of an early Apple commercial, which itself was spoofing Brave New World? Or am I remembering that?

message 12: by Melanti (last edited Dec 10, 2013 10:37AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Melanti | 2384 comments I don't remember the political ad in question, but I think the famous Apple commercial you're referring to was spoofing 1984?

I keep meaning to re-read this book. It was assigned reading back in High School and I've been wondering how much I'd like it as an adult now that I understand more of the political/literary context. Hopefully I'll get the time to revisit it soon.

message 13: by MK (new) - rated it 4 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments ahhh, yes, it was. Thx, Melanti :-). The Big Brother references, and of course, the year. I'd thought that the marching drones were from Brave New World, though, but it no, it wasn't. A Google turned up the info that the movie footage was from a film called Metropolis.

message 14: by MK (new) - rated it 4 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Sorry, just saw your second paragraph. I'm up to Chapter 3. It's pretty good, so far. Chapter 3 got confusing for me, though. The text started scene-jumping between three unrelated scenes, without alerting you of the jumps. I think having just read Catch-22, with its random timeline hops, helped me to pick up on what was happening, sooner than I might have otherwise.

The only indication that you are given of the scene-hops are the topic, of course, and the speakers. But, the speakers aren't always named, and so early in the novel, I was still becoming familiar with who was who, so I was kinda confused, at first :-p.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I really disliked this book. It was required reading for high school, and I had to force myself through it.

message 16: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Maggie wrote: "I really disliked this book. It was required reading for high school, and I had to force myself through it."

Sorry it as forced on you as a requirement. I's not a favorite of mine, but I see a certain genius in Aldous Huxley writing. This book is 82 years old and he foresaw (view spoiler)

Christine | 1217 comments I'm hoping to get to this one for our August 2015 Revisit group read! I read this book about 20 years ago, but I remember very little about it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I hope to read this for this month's read.

I'm waiting for eAudio edition from public library.

Samantha Sipper | 7 comments I have never read Brave New World. I have read the first couple of chapters and am not sure what to make of it, but it's gotten my attention.

Samantha Sipper | 7 comments I also got lost during chapter 3. I decided to go back and reread the first two chapters to see if I could pinpoint what I missed.

message 21: by Pink (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pink | 6556 comments I can't remember what happens in the first few chapters. I hope a re-read of them has made things clearer for you Samantha, or perhaps things will explain themselves as you keep reading. Good luck with the rest of the story.

Noelle | 7 comments Samantha wrote: "I also got lost during chapter 3. I decided to go back and reread the first two chapters to see if I could pinpoint what I missed."
Chapter 3 jumps around a lot. I think I followed it pretty well, but I found a summary of the chapter later to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm a little over half way through now and that chapter was the only one that was so sporadic. Hope you can push through:)

Samantha Sipper | 7 comments It does seem to clear up after chapter 3. I am enjoying it. I can see why it is frightening.

Philina | 1562 comments I'm about half way through now and really like it.

Back in school we read 1984 instead of Brave New World. I could never really connect with 1984 and so far, I think BNW is much better, because from what I remember BNW does more world building and the world itself is more complex and thus much more interesting.

message 25: by Pink (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pink | 6556 comments Phil, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I was wonderfully surprised by this book myself and I ended up loving it. For me, it's also better than 1984 (although I liked that too) and I agree that Huxley does a great job with the world building.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I'm glad to learn, Phil and Pink, that this is a good book.

I'm aware of it that it is considered a classic, but I don't know what to expect--what it's about.

message 27: by Pink (last edited Aug 16, 2015 05:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pink | 6556 comments It's a dystopian book from 1931. Here's the blurb from GR, which I think describes it well.

Far in the future, the World Controllers have created the ideal society. Through clever use of genetic engineering, brainwashing and recreational sex and drugs, all its members are happy consumers. Bernard Marx seems alone harbouring an ill-defined longing to break free. A visit to one of the few remaining Savage Reservations, where the old, imperfect life still continues, may be the cure for his distress...

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Well if the blurb is accurate, it looks interesting. Sometimes blurbs are misleading.

I thought it couldn't hurt since it's not very long.

message 29: by Pink (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pink | 6556 comments Yes some blurbs are very misleading, or worse full of spoilers. I think this one encapsulates the book quite well, though of course there's more to it. It's a top 5 favourite book of mine :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Wow, one of your top five!

Amanda (tnbooklover) | 19 comments I read this many years ago in school but I remember very little of the characters. I'm about halfway and I'm really enjoying it. Sometimes I wish I had a little soma :)

Samantha Sipper | 7 comments I finished Brave New World today, and I have to say I enjoyed reading it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Samantha wrote: "I finished Brave New World today, and I have to say I enjoyed reading it."

I just got my library eBook copy today.

I tried listening to the eAudio, but listening to this did not work for me.

message 34: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth | 67 comments I read this years ago and I'm trying to find my copy of it. I can't imagine that I gave it away. If I can't find it I will get a copy from library so I can join in the discussion.

Philina | 1562 comments I agree with Andrea!
I love audio books, but I don't think this book would make a good one. Especially the first part. You would need multiple narrators not to create the ultimate confusion!

message 36: by Christine (last edited Aug 17, 2015 03:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine | 1217 comments I actually primarily listened to the audio edition this time around (whisper synced some of it on kindle). The edition I listened to was narrated by Michael York and I really enjoyed it. I did giggle a bit sometimes at some of his sound effects, but I thought his narration added something for me.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I've completed ch 1-12.

It's very interesting.

David (nusandman) | 5 comments Hello all, just starting this today. I'll stay away from the spoiler posts until I'm getting further along.

message 39: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
This is our June 2017 Revisit the Shelf Reread. It was the poll winner for the December 2013 New School & was reread in August 2015.

This is the NO Spoiler Thread

Kathleen | 3796 comments Interesting reading through the previous discussion. I would suggest that anyone wanting to abandon this after the first few chapters consider pushing through closer to the middle. After a rocky start, I was glad I stuck with it.

message 41: by Pink (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pink | 6556 comments Kathleen wrote: "Interesting reading through the previous discussion. I would suggest that anyone wanting to abandon this after the first few chapters consider pushing through closer to the middle. After a rocky st..."

That's good advice! I enjoyed this from the beginning and it remains one of my favourite books. I'l look forward to seeing what everyone else thinks of it.

Francisca | 368 comments I had read this a few years ago and was glad to re-read it – and am super excited to discuss it with all of you! It's a book that's definitely stuck with me since first reading it!

Paula W | 552 comments I'm hoping to get through the first few chapters during my lunchbreak today. It looks like easy reading with short paragraphs. :))

message 44: by Marilyn (last edited Jun 01, 2017 10:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marilyn | 740 comments Has anyone listened to the audio book? I'm wondering if this book is better read than heard.

Nathalie | 325 comments I started reading this today. At first I was also a little confused by chapter 3 but eventually I could follow what was going on and I thought it was an interesting way to tell a story. So far I like it.

Paula W | 552 comments That chapter 3 was really cool, in my opinion. Almost written like a screenplay. I could see the camera flitting rapidly from scene to scene in my mind.

Michele | 1008 comments looking forward to discussing this one

Nathalie | 325 comments Paula W wrote: "That chapter 3 was really cool, in my opinion. Almost written like a screenplay. I could see the camera flitting rapidly from scene to scene in my mind."

Yes, I agree Paula. I thought it was very well done.

message 49: by N. (new) - rated it 4 stars

N. G. G. Ellis (ngge) I just joined the group and this will be my first book for it. Brave New World was already on my audiobook "shelf" so this was serendipitous! I'm a couple chapters in and already looking forward to discussing it.

message 50: by Pink (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pink | 6556 comments Nate wrote: "I just joined the group and this will be my first book for it. Brave New World was already on my audiobook "shelf" so this was serendipitous! I'm a couple chapters in and already looking forward to..."

Welcome to the group, I hope you enjoy the book.

« previous 1