Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Northanger Abbey
This topic is about Northanger Abbey
Jane Austen Collection > Northanger Abbey: NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Re-Read for December 2013. No spoilers in this thread.

Holly (hollycoulson) Seeing as I'm yet to get through an Austen, I'm looking forward to this, especially since its her only gothic novel.

Maddie (shoegirl81) | 68 comments I've only read Sense and Sensibility by Austen and didn't enjoy that, so looking forward to seeing if I find this one different. I love gothic novels so I am very eager to give this one a try!

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Holly & Maggie you make me feel normal. It seems that all my friends just love Jane Austen. I have tried Emma, Persuasion, and Pride & Prejudice and haven't made it through any of them. I'm willing to give this one a try too.

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

It's December! Who is in for this read?

Maddie (shoegirl81) | 68 comments I am! I really hope I enjoy this Austen more than the last one.

message 7: by Mae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mae (melissa5626) | 53 comments I hope to get to this after a late Turn of the Screw read. Catch 22 took me a while. I loved Emma and Pride and Prejudice. I'm more of an Austen than a Bronte but I liked Jane Eyre too.

message 8: by MK (new) - rated it 3 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Picked up the free kindle. Not sure if I'm going to add the audio book Whispersync. I really dig the immersion reading experience, for old-fashioned/difficult text (Frankenstein), or for excellent narration (Huckleberry Finn, Catch-22), but it has a serious drawback, in that it takes a lot longer to read a text.

None of this month's selections seem too old-fashioned, in sentence structure/word selection. And none seem to be excellent narration, either (I checked ;-) ), so might forgo the immersion reading for December reads. We'll see. :-).

Anyway, I downloaded a copy. Think I might start with Brave New World, tho.

message 9: by MK (new) - rated it 3 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Well, I didn't start with "Brave New World". Started with "Around the World in 80 Days", then didn't want to jump into the future with "Brave ..." then back to the past with "Northanger Abbey", so I've begun reading Northanger Abbey.

No doubt Jane Austen had a quick wit, and is sort of funny/easy to read. But. The subject, at least so far, is so trivial, I'm having trouble staying with it. It seems that Austen was pointing her pen at the inane trivialities that occupied the time and minds of those around her. And who can blame her! She does it really well. But the pond these characters are playing in is so small, so far, it seems silly to spend time on it :-p.

Anyway, only 17% of the way in, so far. There's time for the characters to flesh out some more.

message 10: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3290 comments Mod
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen is the August 2020 Revisit the Shelf book. Without discussing plot or a review of the book, are you planning to read this book with us, or have you read it before?

Piyangie | 439 comments I've read the book in February as a part of an ongoing Austin challenge for another group. So I wouldn't be rereading. But I would love to follow the discussion. There is always much more to learn. :)
At present, I'm watching the the 2007 movie adaptation of the book.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 118 comments Hoping to finish The Mysteries of Udolpho first.

message 13: by Heather L (last edited Jul 12, 2020 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 336 comments I have read this one twice before, but it’s short enough I may do a reread. I have also seen a movie version, but not the one Piyangie mentioned. I think the one I saw is from 1987 (I know it was before 2000).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091649/

Nathalie | 325 comments I plan to join in and I'm also currently reading the Mysteries of Udolpho.

message 15: by Karin (last edited Jul 04, 2020 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin I have read this one at least twice, so am going to discuss it based on that. I have a slew of books waiting for me at my library to pick up now that interlibrary loans are taking place in my regional library network.

message 16: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I love this satire of the gothic trope.

message 17: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina | 18 comments I just finished the audiobook version. I liked it, but not as much as I like her other books.

Sarah | 2 comments I have read it, but years ago. Like Heather, I may do a reread since it's short.

message 19: by Maggie (last edited Jul 31, 2020 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maggie | 125 comments This is an unpopular opinion, but I've read three Jane Austen novels (P&P, Persuasion, Mansfield Park) and didn't like them. Northanger Abbey looks promising though. The satire on a gothic novel aspect looks fun, and different from the usual romantic chick-lit. This will be the first group read I'm joining since the start of the year. I hope it'll be good!

Cynda | 3041 comments I will read late in the month as I want to finish The Mysteries of Udolpho before rereading Northanger Abbey. I enjoy reading the parody-comparison between Radcliffe's heroine and Austen's heroine, between Radcliffe's hero amd Austen's hero, between Radcliffe's castle and Austen's castle.

message 21: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read this several years ago and do not remember it being a satire. In fact, I don't remember much of it at all. That is just the type of book that needs to be reread.

message 22: by Shaina (last edited Aug 05, 2020 11:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shaina | 541 comments 5 stars to this book. I laughed out loud so many times and couldn't put the book down. I finished it in less than 24 hours.

This was the first time I read this book and now I'm moving to Mysteries of Udolpho ;). I also have a hankering to reread Pride and Prejudice but I think it will have to wait.

I loved the way Austen kept moving the narration from Catherine's point of view to the narrator's and sometimes in the third person. She lets the reads form their ideas about conversations and situations than just pushing her ideas onto them.

message 23: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Smith I’ve read most of Austen’s novels, starting with Pride and Prejudice in high school and college, 30 plus years ago. I just started Northanger Abbey yesterday, and I’m enjoying it already.

message 24: by Saikat (new) - added it

Saikat | 2 comments I'm not sure if this is the right place to comment this, but I needed some motivation to complete the book as I have a busy schedule, so I thought I'll comment on here for motivation to read it together :)

I've read the first few chapters.

Veronique | 961 comments Started

It is a re-read for me. I love all the Jane Austen novels, for different reasons :0)

Veronique | 961 comments Whizzing through, smiling all the while :O)
Should finish tonight or tomorrow morning

message 27: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saikat wrote: "I'm not sure if this is the right place to comment this, but I needed some motivation to complete the book as I have a busy schedule, so I thought I'll comment on here for motivation to read it tog..."

How is it going Saikat? I hope you enjoy the book.

message 28: by Saikat (new) - added it

Saikat | 2 comments Lynn wrote: "Saikat wrote: "I'm not sure if this is the right place to comment this, but I needed some motivation to complete the book as I have a busy schedule, so I thought I'll comment on here for motivation..."

Hey Lynn,

Thanks a lot for checking on me ! I finished 20% of it before, but am now looking to finish it ... Hopefully in the weekend !

message 29: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saikat wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Saikat wrote: "I'm not sure if this is the right place to comment this, but I needed some motivation to complete the book as I have a busy schedule, so I thought I'll comment on here f..."

Excellent!

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Northanger Abbey (other topics)
The Mysteries of Udolpho (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jane Austen (other topics)