Audiobooks discussion

Archives > ISO: Steampunk / Urban Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (magickrhythm) Can someone recommend a good Steampunk or Urban Fantasy series?

I've been listening to the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne and absolutely love it. I would like to go a bit further into the Urban Fantasy genre.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1541 comments the Dresden Files - Jim Butcher - but the first few audiobooks are rough - James Masters hits his stride around book 4

if you like the more romance-y UF stuff - then the Fever series - karen marie moning

for Steampunk - romancey - but cute - Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate

message 3: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Amanda wrote: "Can someone recommend a good Steampunk or Urban Fantasy series?

I've been listening to the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne and absolutely love it. I would like to go a bit f..."

Favorites of mine are the Mercy Thompson series from Patricia Briggs and the Women of the Underworld and related books from Kelley Armstrong. I second the recommendation of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate books, and her new YA series, beginning with Etiquette and Espionage Etiquette & Espionage is also very fun.

message 4: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3608 comments I heartily second The Dresden Files for urban fantasy and Jim Butcher is going to have a steampunk series coming out next year--it can hardly miss with Jim Butcher as the creator.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (magickrhythm) Thanks! I am curious about the Dresden Files. I loved the short-lived TV series very much.

I'm not a big fan of romance novels. I'm more of an action girls. My usual go to genre is Mystery/Thriller. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the Druid series.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan | 433 comments I really enjoyed this series though I didn't listen to the audio so can't vouch for the narrator: Phoenix Rising.

message 7: by David (last edited Nov 23, 2013 11:38AM) (new)

David Rubenstein | 35 comments I enjoyed the first of China Mieville's "Bas-Lag" series. The title is Perdido Street Station. Here is my review of the book. I listened to the audiobook, and the narration is excellent.

message 8: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3608 comments If you like action and don't mind guns, lots of guns, then Monster Hunter International is a great series. It has lots of action, monsters galore, and is very funny and well narrated.

Even though the Mercy Thompson series has romance aspects, I still would add my hearty recommendation for it as a great paranormal series--werewolves, vampires, the Fae, and a kick-ass shape-shifting heroine.

message 9: by Sandi (last edited Nov 23, 2013 05:29PM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments Dee wrote: "the Dresden Files - Jim Butcher - but the first few audiobooks are rough - James Masters hits his stride around book 4"

I would say that Jim Butcher hits his stride around the fourth book. I've read most of them in print, but have listened to the last few. I really like the audio.

I will also second the Mercy Thompson series. It's one of the three that I will listen to rather read in print as soon as they are released. (Dresden Files and Iron Druid are the other two.)

For steampunk, try Mark Hodder's Burton & Swinburne series or Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century.

The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross works really well in audio. I'm at a loss for genre classification for it though. It's kind of urban fantasy.

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly Booms Walsh (withherownwings) | 165 comments Yes, Dresden Files, Mercy Thompson - and I'd also very much recommend the Walker Papers series by C. E. Murphy, which starts with Urban Shaman. I'm rather anti-romance myself and love all these series.

I also enjoyed The Hollows series by Kim Harrison, though there is romance in those and a rather stereotypical female lead - but there is a ton of actions and fun characters.

message 11: by ✨Susan✨ (last edited Nov 26, 2013 10:05AM) (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Dee wrote: "the Dresden Files - Jim Butcher - but the first few audiobooks are rough - James Masters hits his stride around book 4

if you like the more romance-y UF stuff - then the Fever series - karen marie..."

Interesting you say that because at the end of book 3 I went to the Iron Druid and stopped after book 4. Going back and forth was a little much for me. Needed a break but hope to start both soon (with moderation) after the New Year. In my mind they were similar but completely different. Loved the talking head Bob and Oberon the Iron Druids dog. I think they were just melding together and then I started comparing them. I had to let dogs lie and heads sleep for a while to come back with an appreciation for the genre. Both are Great, just not one after the other for me.

message 12: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 224 comments Steampunk - Soulless

Urban Fantasy - Unholy Ghosts

message 13: by Kim (last edited Nov 25, 2013 07:25AM) (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) There's the Vampire Empire trilogy: The Greyfriar, The Rift Walker, and The Kingmakers. The audiobooks are narrated by James Marsters and the final audiobook will be released January 2014.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments I second Soulless! It is great on audio.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (magickrhythm) Thanks!

Someone else recommended the Monster Hunter International series after I commented that I loved 14 by Peter Clines. I'll have to check it out.

message 16: by ✨Susan✨ (last edited Nov 26, 2013 10:09AM) (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments A fantastic trilogy that some say are better than the Monster Hunter.
The Grimnoir Chronicles
Great characters, very original.

message 17: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1960 comments Amanda wrote: "Thanks! I am curious about the Dresden Files. I loved the short-lived TV series very much.

I'm not a big fan of romance novels. I'm more of an action girls. My usual go to genre is Mystery/Thrill..."

I think the TV series would have made it if James Marsters had played Harry Dresden!

Agree on Gail Carriger's Soulless fun story and great narration.

Also agree with Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson Series the first book is Moon Called

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Poulin | 3 comments All of the above are great titles and I heartily agree with them all.

A series I most recently discovered is the Sandman Slim series. The first book is Sandman Slim, the narrator is amazing.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (magickrhythm) Well, I bought Monster Hunter International during the Audible sale. I'm excited to start listening to it.

Thanks for all your suggestions!