The Sword and Laser discussion

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1)
This topic is about Ancillary Justice
2013 Reads > AJ: Doublespeak

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I'm now 75% through the book. We've had a lot of discussion about gender pronouns, but not much about the other ways language is used in this book. Some of it reminds me very much of 1984. For example, invasion is called annexation. Brainwashing is called reeducation.

The worst case is the word ancillary. The dictionary says that it's subordinate. An adjective is satellite. What freaks me out is that ancillaries in this book are people whose brains have been wiped and replaced with hardware that makes them one with a ship, station, or household. (Household ancillaries are mentioned in passing.) The official stance is that they are reanimated dead people, but I don't buy it.

What other interesting uses of language did you see in this book?

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments I tried to start up a discussion of the other uses of language, but it devolved back into gender issues :p

The most interesting moment to me comes towards the end, to put it in a nonspoilery way, the word used to describe a character inappropriately/ maybe even sacrilegiously making sacrifices in the temple is noted by Breq to be the same word used to describe the beginnings of progressive attitudes in the Radch.

Also interesting me was the way religion was described as being translated from one mythology/pantheon to another, and the way that the daily act of worship for a radchaai was the translation of omens into scripture verses- a translation that One Esk was best at.

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Clientage to describe the vassal/lord relationship

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments David Sven wrote: "Clientage to describe the vassal/lord relationship"

Isn't clientage more like multi-level marketing? Once you get citizenship and clientage, you can get clients of your own. That doesn't happen in a fiefdom.

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Sandi wrote: "David Sven wrote: "Clientage to describe the vassal/lord relationship"

Isn't clientage more like multi-level marketing?"

Yes. It's how the Romans would have sold Amway.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Sandi wrote: Isn't clientage more like multi-level marketing? Once you get citizenship and clientage, you can get clients of your own. That doesn't happen in a fiefdom."

It doesn't? I thought that's what subinfeudation was.

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Apparently, my history education was incomplete.