Children's Books discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka Jackowska-moore (janieszka) | 4 comments I'm looking for books for my 33 month old boy who isn't too keen on healthy food :-) all books we read have cakes and chocolate, which he could eat all day but I'd like to find some books where vegetables and other savoury dishes are loved by the characters and could inspire my little one? Any suggestions?

message 2: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 47 comments I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato
Very cute! Lola pretends all of her healthy foods are something exciting like cloud fluff. My son enjoyed it.

message 3: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka Jackowska-moore (janieszka) | 4 comments Thank you. I'll look out for it next time we're in the library :-)

message 4: by Vanessa (last edited Nov 23, 2013 02:57PM) (new)

Vanessa (nesshawk) | 13 comments One of our favorites with a food theme is Little Pea. Poor Little Pea always has to clean his plate before he gets dessert; it's fun because what Little Pea thinks is yucky and what he wants for dessert are the total opposite of what the kids think!

Also great fun are books by Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers such as Dog Food and How Are You Peeling?. They create all kinds of wonderful things with actual vegetables. Maybe your son will be inspired to see the dogs & faces & other creatures in his veggies!

message 5: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (last edited Nov 23, 2013 05:44PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2474 comments Mod
You might also want to try:
Rah, Rah, Radishes!: A Vegetable Chant and Go, Go, Grapes!: A Fruit Chant for promoting vegetables and fruits.

message 6: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka Jackowska-moore (janieszka) | 4 comments Thank you all. Very helpful.

message 7: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments The weird thing is that I've taken issue with almost all of the food books that have come our way. I think it's just a difficult subject to tackle efficiently in a fun, non moralizing way. But a quirky book my kid really liked when he was around your son's age was Avocado Baby. I wouldn't say it changed his diet, but at least it got him to try a few "power foods" such as avocados. Gregory The Terrible Eater and Little Pea are great, silly books to open up a discussion on what are good foods. The Seven Silly Eaters is about picky eaters and Pinkalicious is an allegory about what can happen to you when you have too much of the "good stuff". (You will want to review that one before sharing with your kid, as it introduces sneakiness that I wouldn't want to see at my house, but my kid loved this book when he was three and he was smart enough to note that was "not the way to go"!)

But, you will also be able to find non fiction books about nutrition aimed at toddlers/preschoolers, and that may be even more effective if your kid is like mine. Just present some hard facts to him and let him make his own choices!

message 8: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7672 comments Mod
Since you want a book about vegetables, how about The Ugly Vegetables by Grace Lin. And if you want to perhaps get your child interested in trying different ethnic foods, Dim Sum for Everyone! by the same author is a great little book for introducing Dim Sum to young children.

Also, check the topics in the picture book club; I know we had a food theme a few years ago, so you might find some workable titles in those threads.

message 9: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka Jackowska-moore (janieszka) | 4 comments Brilliant! Thank you for your tips and recommended books. :-)

message 10: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5945 comments Mod
Carl Warner's books, like "A World of Food" might be a different twist to food that might be appealing. He creates scenes/landscapes with food and it is really amazing and some are gorgeous. Of course maybe this is too close to "playing with your food" for your little one.

Yes, do check out the "Culinary Delights" thread in the Picture Book Club. The master list has dozens of great books.

message 11: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

"Soup Day" by Melissa Iwai is also a good book about healthy veggie soup and it is aimed at the youngest readers.

message 12: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

(As I recall, it is a board book. Very cute)

message 13: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 14 comments The Giant Carrot by Jan Peck is a wonderful tall tale about growing a giant carrot, with each character fantasizing about what they will use the carrot for when it is grown. Bonus recipe for carrot pudding at the end -- by the time I'd read the story a few times, my kids demanded that I make them some.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6441 comments Mod
Was it good? My mom used to make pumpkin pudding but I can't seem to find a simple recipe for it.