The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
This topic is about The Thousand Names
The Shadow Campaigns > TTN: Section 4: Chapter 17 - Chapter 21

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Things are picking up in this section.

Bobby knew Winter was a woman all along apparently coming from the same girl's prison.

I don't know who to root for. I like Marcus and Winter and her corporals, but I don't trust the Colonel. I think we finally see his true colors when he can't find the Thousand Names.

At the same time Mother is brutal, and so apparently are the Ghost and his men. The soldiers are caught in the middle of it all.

message 2: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill | 1596 comments Very exciting section. The Ghost finally looks like the first Khandari with some ability to wage war. If my prior theory about the Names is right maybe he has one that allows him to be in multiple places.

Looks like things just went south for the Janus and Marcus. It will be interesting to see who falls in with each side. Also if the Khandari are able to take advantage of the split or weakened army.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill wrote: "The Ghost finally looks like the first Khandari with some ability to wage war. If my prior theory about the Names is right maybe he has one that allows him to be in multiple places. "

Interesting idea. I hadn't even thought that the Ghost may be using one of the names. I like your theory that each name offers some kind of ability though.

Conor | 57 comments Awesome end to the section.

I'm really liking this part of the campaign so far. I found it kind of annoying, bordering on unrealistic, that the 'good guys' won every battle (even when heavily outnumbered) so easily up to now. It's really cool that the bad guys' are winning. Especially since they aren't winning through luck/betrayal/some dastardly plan but instead through superior mobility and brilliant tactics.

Roston is a really interesting character imo. A brave warrior who really cares about his friends but also extremely unreliable, prone to selfishness, immaturity and bad decision making. He's set up to be a really cool villain now.

Incidentally does anyone think Roston was in on the destruction of the supply train? He disobeyed orders to pursue the steel ghost for no apparent reason and yet sustained minimal casualties. This dragged Marcus out of position, leaving the camp exposed.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't really remember the details at point. Is Roston Marcus's friend from school?

Conor | 57 comments He helped Markus through depression at university, was annoyingly self pitying at the start of this book, got his act together and saved Markus (losing his arm in the process) and is now leading a mutiny with the help of noted scumbag sergeant Davis. A very hit and miss record.

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ah yeah. That's the guy I was thinking of.