What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book...about elves or fairies who send messages

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Brady (minesayn) | 46 comments I read this book when I was about 10-12 so would have been around 1964-66. This kid (a boy, I believe) discovers that some small paranormal creature (elves, fairies, or the like) send messages via mail advertisements. Only every tenth word counts as the secret message. That's about all I remember about the book. I don't know if he starts saving the mail ads for these creatures, whether he helps them (I believe he does). Regardless, it was probably written in the sixties as I got it from the school library. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39320 comments Mod
Was this a picture book or chapter book?

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Brady (minesayn) | 46 comments It was a chapter book, about 200-300 pages long if I recall.

message 4: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments bumping - any luck, Nancy?

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Brady (minesayn) | 46 comments not yet. I read it a long time ago as I said in the original posting. I would like to say that it was written by an author whose name fit in the early middle of the alphabet (F-L) as I remember pulling off a shelf in that section (I know this sounds crazy, but I have a memory that is visual in nature so I can recall where an article is spatially located...in a room, on a page, etc.). I know that doesn't help much. I remember who suggested the book to me, which also doesn't help much, either.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Nancy, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Brady (minesayn) | 46 comments Never have, Lobstergirl. Some day I will, but for now, why don't you close the thread?

By the way, the messages were embedded in junk mail advertisements. Like every tenth word was the part of the message. This book must have been written in the mid-sixties as I was in fourth or fifth grade at the time I read it.

I suppose it doesn't matter whether I or not I figure out the title and author, but this is one of the coolest things about Goodreads, and I thank you, Lobstergirl, for moderating these threads. Thanks.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Nancy, if you like I can move this to Abandoned, at your instigation. However, it's just as easy to keep it Unsolved - and you can bump it every so often to get new members looking at it. Up to you.

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Brady (minesayn) | 46 comments Okay, let's give it a little more time. I will keep bumping it until I give up. At some point, it becomes a quest.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35178 comments Mod
Nancy, does the kid travel to a fantasy world?

Why do you think the elves/fairies(?) were sending hidden coded messages in human mail advertisements (e.g., hiding from a threat, looking for help, looking for a clever human to decode the messages)?

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19177 comments Did you read it in the USA, or another country?

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Brady (minesayn) | 46 comments @Kris...no, he doesn't go to a fantasy world that I can recall. It was more than 50 years ago when I read this. I think the coded messages were for communication only, but I don't remember exactly why.

@Rainbowheart...I read it in the USA and if I recall, it was set in the US as well, but again, it was a long time ago.