Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Irish Quarterly Movie Nomin... > Christmas Movie Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allan (new)

Allan Seeing as some members are keen on discussing Christmas movies, I thought I'd help out and set up the thread in here!

Enjoy! :)

message 2: by Serf (new)

Serf Thanks Allan :) have the snow man on my shelves to watch.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The Snowman was always a favourote of mine. I was a nipper when it was first aired, and I have fond memories of it.

I watched it recently and was surprised at how serene it was. It's soothing and I'll definitely be watching it again over the holidays.

One film I watch most Christmases is Home Alone. It's quite a weird choice but I do find it quite Christmassy.

Something I want to ask about is if anyone has any movies they associate with Christmas that aren't Christmas movies?

For some reason I always think of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Star Wars: A New Hope and The Wizard of Oz as Christmas movies, for no other reason than they're always shown around then.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

"A Christmas Story" with Darren McGavin is a very cute movie. "Scrooged" with Bill Murray is funny. Elf...Once is enough. Of course "A Christmas Carol" is an annual must. "A Wonderful Life" is a well loved movie over here.

I like Tim Burtons Willy Wonka. Depp is funny in that. The Wizard of Oz used to be on here in the spring. Probably to warn us about tornado season LOL!

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie | 81 comments Anything by Rankin-Bass... "Jack Frost," "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," "The Year Without a Santa," "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Frosty the Snowman..." I love them all! :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 23, 2013 11:02AM) (new)

Me too Annie! I am 50 yrs old and I never stopped loving them! I also love How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Not Jim Carey's version, the real one!

message 7: by Serf (new)

Serf Santa Claus with Dudley Moore is another favourite of mine. Home alone is on every Christmas and I always give out that it's on again and then I watch it again :) I like watching love actually around Xmas too

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie | 81 comments Jamielynn, my mother used to read The Grinch to me as a child, and I've always loved the cartoon movie too! I have the full collection of the Rankin-Bass movies on dvd. I don't care how old I get or how many times I've seen them, they'll always be dear to me. My favorite part of Christmas is sitting by the Christmas tree with some hot, spiced cider and a fire while singing along with Heat and Snow Miser! ;)

message 9: by Serf (new)

Serf Also Rambo and rocky always remind me of Christmas too. Weird?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

@Jamielynn. I love almost all of those movies. It's a great selection and they're all very cheerful and positive. They reminded me of Holiday Inn and White Christmas. Two of the best Christmas films ever.

@Annie. There isn't a tradition of holiday claymations over here, but every now and again one appears. You might like Robbie the Reindeer if you ever get the chance to see it.

@Seraphina. Santa Clause the Movie was brilliant when I was a kid, but it's something I can't really enjoy any more. I might be too old and cynical nowadays.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

@Seraphina. It does seem a little weird but I suppose Star Wars is pretty weird too.

message 12: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments I love It's a Wonderful Life, Love Actually, and The Bishop's Wife (the old one with Cary Grant and Loretta Young). We watch It's a Wonderful Life almost every Thanksgiving evening to get us in the Christmas spirit.

I don't watch that much tv, but I was flipping through channels and discovered that we have a Hallmark tv channel that is playing a lot of old Christmas movies (black and white). I caught the tail end of one with Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh from the 1940s. It was cheesy but cute. I'll have to be careful, though. I know I could easily get sucked into watching old Christmas movies every night....and I have exciting things like papers to grade, exams to write and all that :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh you are all reminding me of wonderful movies!

message 14: by Neil (last edited Nov 23, 2013 01:51PM) (new)

Neil (charcoal_waves_at_night) Die Hard: The ultimate Christmas movie.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Annie wrote: "Jamielynn, my mother used to read The Grinch to me as a child, and I've always loved the cartoon movie too! I have the full collection of the Rankin-Bass movies on dvd. I don't care how old I get o..."

Yes! The heat miser snow misers! My ex husband used to laugh at me for watching the "puppets." I just said ""I like my puppets!"

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie | 81 comments Jamielynn, if the Miser Brothers are on, my dad and I will call each other to sing along. :) Now that I think of it, that may be just the thing to cheer him up while he copes with his current health issues! :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it would cheer him. I'm so sorry he's going through that. :(

message 18: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Niall wrote: "Die Hard: The ultimate Christmas movie."

I have never seen that movie. I have to see it one of these days :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a rankin bass production. They're all cute.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

It's from The Year Without a Santa Claus

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=i...

message 21: by Serf (new)

Serf Just watched it's a wonderful life from start to finish for the first time. Such an emotional film. Am very much in the Christmas spirit after it :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Seraphina wrote: "Just watched it's a wonderful life from start to finish for the first time. Such an emotional film. Am very much in the Christmas spirit after it :)"

Seraphina I love that movie. It is very heart warming.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be watching that at some stage soon. It's one of the best films ever.

message 24: by Barbara (last edited Dec 08, 2013 05:08PM) (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Wow I missed this thread.
I have an irrational like of Christmas romance movies - Love Actually, and the first Bridget Jones. I love the fight scene in the Greek restaurant in Bridget Jones when the music is "It's Raining Men", and there are lots of scenes in Love Actually - Hugh Grant knocking on doors looking for Natalie, HG dancing to "Jump", Colin Firth learning Portuguese and going to find the woman he fell in love with - funny, funny.

I know I'll think of more.
Edited to add - The Snowman - I LOVE this film. It is also an ideal gift for children regardless of the language they know as it has no words.

message 25: by Serf (new)

Serf Love actually is a great movie, especially like the kids first love storyline. The snowman is on the list for next weekend. I can't get my hands on a copy of the Christmas story though. They don't have it in our DVD shop! Will keep an eye out on amazon for it

message 26: by Allan (new)

Allan I have to admit that I run a mile from all those cheesy Richard Curtis rom coms like Love Actually. Pass the sick bucket please!

I love a lot of the Christmas comedies / kids' films. I take my class at the start of December to the cinema and sometimes see a good Christmas film (though this year they chose to see Free Birds, which was a turkey). Arthur Christmas was a great animation they watched a couple of years ago. I also watch Muppet's Christmas Carol with the class each year, and compare it with the original story, which the kids always enjoy.

Last night, my other half and I actually watched Elf-tacky, but funny, and I'll be keeping an eye out in Central Park on Christmas Eve as a result!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I've enjoyed a few Richard Curtis film, but Love Actually was one of the ones that went way too far with the cheese factor.

@Alan. Elf; tacky!? It's absolutely brilliant.

Hopefully you'll see Santa in CP.

message 28: by Serf (new)

Serf I love elf aswell. I like a bit of cheese for my Xmas films :)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

The cheesy 'Santa Claus is coming to town' ending is great. You'd need a heart of stone to dislike it.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I used to love The Lemon Drop Kid with Bob Hope. That one would bring a tear to my eye.
I agree with Barbara. I like Love Actually.
No one has mentioned the Griswold Christmas movie. I am chuckling just thinking about it.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Christmas Vacation is a classic, Sarah. I saw it when it when I was a kid and loved it.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

@Any film that has a lovelorn man (or boy) rushing to the airport is lucky if I don't turn it off there and then. ;)

As for the guy the cards on the street??? That was just weird.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments @Declan, should I be offended you called me Sarah or take it as a compliment? :)
BTW, what is the Snowman? I have not heard of that one.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, Susan. I don't know what I was thinking.

The Snowman is a classic xmas animation. I'll find a link to post soon.

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments You know all of us S's sound alike. :)

message 36: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Declan and Susan -
Here it is on Youtube - I forgot how lovely the music is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmzZKf...

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Thank you, Barbara. I enjoyed that immensely. I guess the reason I've never seen it is that it's not American. They have a scene where the boy comes in and his mom pours him a cup of tea from a teapot. That is not an American scene. The father is sitting in front of the fire and he is, apparently, toasting bread. I've never seen that done. The fields outside the house look Irish. Is this an Irish cartoon? It's just lovely.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, for posting the link, Barbara. It had totally slipped my mind last night.

@Susan. It's a British production, but it's become a staple of Christmas in Ireland too, as these things usually do.

Making toast on the fire is something I used to do with my parents as a kid. It was mostly for novelty as that sort of thing was seen as old-fashioned and wholesome, even thirty years ago when I was a boy.

message 39: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Susan wrote: "Thank you, Barbara. I enjoyed that immensely. I guess the reason I've never seen it is that it's not American. They have a scene where the boy comes in and his mom pours him a cup of tea from a tea..."

Glad you liked it Susan. We had the video when my son was small and I am pretty sure I now have the DVD. Also the book and a stuffed Snowman. I should pull him out for my Christmas decorating.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments The only things I've seen roasted in fires were marshmallows and hot dogs. What did the toast taste like? Was it toast like in a toaster? I just loved that little touch.
@Barbara, you should pull the stuffed snowman out. I thought he was so cute and it's nice to have a little nostalgia.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

@Susan. It was a little different, but not much. You can taste the smoke ever so slightly, and we only toasted it on one side. Sitting close to the fire all together was the real appeal.

message 42: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Susan - I am working on decorating and know there must still be a box up in the attic. Also doing lots of grading as we had a snow day (so nice).

message 43: by Serf (new)

Serf Just finished watching the snowman, it's such a lovely film. Def worth a watch over Christmas

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.