Books on the Nightstand discussion

Best Books of 2013

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Today the Guardian published a Best Books of 2013 list with recommendations from authors and critics including Hillary Mantel and Ian Rankin:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013...

I always seem to find great new books in these personal recommendations. And I find it interesting to read what some of my favourite authors read in 2013.

Please add lists from other sources if you are so inclined.

message 2: by Kalen (new)

Kalen | 218 comments Largehearted Boy tracks 'em all!

http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/a...

I write up my list every year on Christmas day. I've got a few ideas so far but I also have more books to read before then.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Kalen for that great link.

message 4: by Gabi (new)

Gabi Coatsworth (gabicoatsworth) | 16 comments Anne wrote: "Today the Guardian published a Best Books of 2013 list with recommendations from authors and critics including Hillary Mantel and Ian Rankin:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013...-..."

I liked this list, too. It's fascinating how few duplicates there are. I think the only one mentioned more than once was Penelope Fitzgerald's biography. Since I love her books, and it appears they're largely autobiographical, I'll have to add it to my to-read list.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Gabi, I put the Penelope Fitzgerald biography on hold. The biography is still on order at the library so that gives me time to read a few of her novels.

message 6: by Gabi (new)

Gabi Coatsworth (gabicoatsworth) | 16 comments I think you'd like The Bookstore...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Gabi. I'll start with The Bookstore and see where that leads me.

message 8: by Russell (new)

Russell | 37 comments Here is my top 10 that I read this year - 1 and 2 are solid but the others are a bit flexible :-)
------------------------
Stoner - Williams
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena - Marra
Magda - Ziervogel
Bobcat - Lee
Let Him Go - Watson
Eleanor & Park - Rowell
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter - Franklin
What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank - Englander
Life After Life- Atkinson
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Gaiman

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 24, 2013 04:26PM) (new)

I've made the graphic for my post, but haven't put it up on the blog yet. My top ten (in no particular order, though the first three were my absolute favorite) are:

- The Son by Philipp Meyer
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- The Interstings by Meg Wolitzer
- Lookaway, Lookaway by Wilton Barnhardt
- Southern Cross the Dog by Bill Cheng
- Fallen Land by Patrick Flannery
- The Humans by Matt Haig
- A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
- Want Not by Jonathan Miles
- All That Is by James Salter

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise (deniseg53) | 221 comments My top 10 are lacking some good ones I had intended to read but will read next year.

Stoner - Williams
We Are Water - Lamb
Eleanor & Park & Fangirl - Rowell
Life After Life - Atkinson
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves - Fowler
Out - Kirino
The Silent Wife - Harrison
The Goldfinch - Tartt
The Rosie Project - Sinsion
Mother, Mother - Zailckas
The Valley of Amazement - Amy Tan
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock - Quick
Salvation of a Saint - Higashino
The Other Typist - Rindell
And the Mountains Echoed - Hosseini
Night Film - Pessl

Looks like I exceeded ten....

message 11: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments Gabi wrote: "Anne wrote: "Today the Guardian published a Best Books of 2013 list with recommendations from authors and critics including Hillary Mantel and Ian Rankin:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/n..."

just wanted to point out that that link is broken according to the Guardian.

message 12: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments I would put in my best books but I noticed that these posts show ten or so and that would be every book that I have read so far this year so I might have to make it five. Actually 10 is a good year for me. I wish that I was as good a reader as many here on BOTNS.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Gerald wrote: "Gabi wrote: "Anne wrote: "Today the Guardian published a Best Books of 2013 list with recommendations from authors and critics including Hillary Mantel and Ian Rankin:

http://www.theguardian.com..."

True enough. It looks like they didn't archive that story. There's lots of other "best of 2013" in the Guardian though: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013...

message 14: by Kalen (new)

Kalen | 218 comments Here's my favorite books list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/kalen-...

What a great year of reading.

message 15: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments I dont read like some people here so I will probably do a top five over the weekend.Maybe more.

message 16: by Lil (new)

Lil | 216 comments I had a really great reading year. Here are my favorites. I think Kalen commented that some that rated 5 stars at the time don't make the list and others that were only given 4 stars did...I have the same thing. Some books really stick with me that I don't expect at the initial reading.
These are in order of most recently read to earliest:

The Martian by Andy Weir--I have been overbearing in recommending this in audio!
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Heft by Liz Moore
Lover At Last by J.R. Ward--what can I say? this is an honest list!
Life Among Giants by Bill Roorbach
The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat by Edward Kelsey Moore
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison
Safe from the Neighbors and The Realm of Last Chances by Steve Yarbrough
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Phillip Sendker
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller--this is my absolute favorite this year and the first book I read in 2013

Here's wishing for as good a reading year in 2014!

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (thenovelbutterfly) | 101 comments Best books I read this year (but I hope it is ok they weren't actually published this year):

The Book Thief
A Constellation of Vital Phenomenon
Life After Life (McCorkle)
The Snow Child
A Violet Season

I fell short of my reading goals this year, but I taught this past semester and that cramped my reading style! But I read some great things this year even though I didn't read as much as I wanted.

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon B | 85 comments Lil wrote: "I had a really great reading year. Here are my favorites. I think Kalen commented that some that rated 5 stars at the time don't make the list and others that were only given 4 stars did...I have..."

I loved Heft! It was one of my top of 2012, and nothing this year can come close! (Although Art of Hearing Heartbeats is quite amazing, that will be one of my tops for this year also).

Thanks for sharing your list!

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 51 comments I read a lot of wonderful books this year (is it just me, or have the number of 'good' books been increasing lately?), but the most satisfying was Stephen R. Donaldson's The Last Dark (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #4 ) by Stephen R. Donaldson The Last Dark.

I've been reading the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant since the first book came out in 1977, and while I've never begrudged him the time he wanted to take with it, 36 years is a fairly long time to spend on a series. I was relieved and happy that the last book wrapped things up in a way that made sense for the series, and that it was a pretty solid book. I'm also a bit relieved that I'm done with them now- it is a fantastic series, but incredibly bleak, and often emotionally draining. Still worth it :-)

message 21: by Chanda2426 (new)

Chanda2426 | 136 comments My fave of 2014 were (in no particular order):
Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen-Gregg Gilmore
Ordinary Grace-Krueger
The Age of Miracles-Thompson Walker
NOS4A2-Hill
Joyland-King
Instructions for a Heatwave-O'Farrell
The Ocean at the End of the Lane-Gaiman
Night Film-Pessl
The Residue Years-Jackson
Bellman & Black-Setterfield
The Rosie Project-Simison
The Goldfinch-Tartt
Glitter & Glue-Corrigan

message 22: by Sherry (last edited Dec 29, 2013 02:36PM) (new)

Sherry (sherrycovill) I have so many books in my "to read" pile that I am often not current, but I did read LIFE AFTER LIFE by Kate Atkinson and I am now reading THE FLAMETHROWERS by Rachel Kushner. Both are excellent. I also just listened to A TALE FOR THE TIME BEING by Ruth Ozeki, and that was wonderful

message 23: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments My Top six books of the year.
ONE- THE WOMAN IN WHITE COLLINS
TWO- HATCHING TWITTER BILTON
THREE- THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE GAIMAN
FOUR- THE MARCH DOCTOROW
FIVE- TRANSATLANTIC MCCANN
SIX-THE SISTERS BROTHERS DEWITT