Horror Aficionados discussion

Violet Eyes
This topic is about Violet Eyes
Buddy Reads > Violet Eyes by John Everson (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Nov 24, 2013 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Hi everyone, this buddy read is starting now. At the moment it's Nikki and myself, it would be great to get some more reading buddies involved so if anyone would like to join us let me know and I'll add your name. *Please post spoilers in the proper formatting.*

Buddy readers are:

Nikki
Kate
Charles

message 2: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Let me see if I can borrow it. I've read the other one and enjoyed it.

Kate | 3520 comments Fingers crossed you can get it.

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles | 51 comments Just sated it last night.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Alright, Charles!

Kate | 3520 comments Just added you, Charles.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments 14% (view spoiler)

message 8: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Doesn't seem like its a go for me guys. Haven't received any offers on a loan. Better luck next time. Happy reading! I'll be checking ur reviews.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Sorry, Addy :(

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments 23% (view spoiler)

Anders is infuriating! I'm just waiting on him to show up so a spider can crawl in his ass!

message 11: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Just finished the first 6 chapters. (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Feral detected danger in Billy's house.

They had only been "dating" a month.

I think he's got other things in-I mean-on his mind ;)

message 13: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Hahaha

message 14: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Nikki wrote: "14% [spoilers removed]"

I swear reading this my throat felt tickly. Yuck.

I'm at 27% now. I'm just waiting for the first big creepy crawly scene.

message 15: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments At 49% now. I'm enjoying all the stories of the people coming across the bugs. (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Even though it's spiders we're talking about, which are creepy by themselves, Everson's descriptions make you "feel," which is cool and rare. I guess it's because he's using an actual insect that a lot of people are scared of.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I was creeped out by the fact that that guy that came to (view spoiler)
When is the dad going to show up?

message 18: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments I've finished it, loved it as well.
Everson pulls no punches, that's for sure. (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments 71% (view spoiler)

message 20: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Yep, I would have done the same, especially considering his behaviour when he gets in the house. Not a gentleman!

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Done. 5 star read. Hope you enjoy it, Charles :)

message 22: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments This was such an easy read. What are his other books like?

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Nightwhere had spooky Hellraiser Bdsm elements. He leans toward erotic horror. I'd give The 13 a try.

message 24: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Yay, I have that one. :)

message 25: by Charles (new)

Charles | 51 comments I've read Nightwhere and now Violet Eyes and enjoyed them both. Everson can bother some with his not so happy endings but I find them refreshing.

message 26: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments I like it when there's not a happy ending, more realistic.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I agree!

message 28: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments The ending to this was sad, as your review summed it up, it was perfect.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments It really was. It's something when a read can pull emotions from you.

message 30: by John (new) - added it

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments Hi Nikki, Kate and Charles! Found this thread the other day and I wasn't sure if I should post anything or not -- I don't want to intrude or inhibit any conversation about the book... but I did want to pop in and say thanks for giving VIOLET EYES a read. A buddy read, even! And it's really cool to see that you all liked the novel. All an author really wants is happy readers!

If any of you have questions about the story that you'd like to ask... I'm happy to answer. Or... I can quietly slip back into the eight-legged night... :-)

message 31: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Too cool, John! I missed the buddy read, but will be starting this one soon! Very soon!

message 32: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments John wrote: "Hi Nikki, Kate and Charles! Found this thread the other day and I wasn't sure if I should post anything or not -- I don't want to intrude or inhibit any conversation about the book... but I did wa..."

John, I didn't just like it, I absolutely loved it. Easy to read, great characters and bugs! What more could you want. :)

I'm interested in the kind of research you did for the book, were these spiders and flies based on something real.

message 33: by John (new) - added it

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments Thanks Kate :-)

I didn't really do any scientific research for the bug lifecycle, other than to research what kind of spiders and flies might have the right kinds of "bite" and poison to facilitate the cycle I envisioned scientists would create. The Tsetse fly has a nice long proboscis, which could facilitate the transmission of the eggs. And the spiders in turn are a modified Black Widow. Both are hardy, nasty bugs and with all the genetic research that goes on, and various threats of biological warfare, I figured people could accept that these could be modified in a lab to be turned into a new symbiotic dual lifeform. I know there are other creatures that occur naturally in nature that exist by symbiosis, so this just takes the concept to the extreme.

message 34: by Kate (last edited Dec 13, 2013 08:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Thanks, John. Do you think you might do a sequel to this?
*fingers crossed and praying for sequel*

message 35: by John (new) - added it

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments I haven't planned on it... but then, I've never finished a novel and instantly said "I need to write a sequel." When I finish a book... I'm usually done with the story ... at least at that time. A couple years after I finished COVENANT I came up with the idea for SACRIFICE and went ahead and wrote it. I've wanted to do a sequel to SACRIFICE for several years now, and people have also encouraged me to think about sequels to THE 13TH and NIGHTWHERE. I've toyed with those ideas, but so far, haven't done anything real on them. But never say never!

message 36: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. The story was left nicely open for a sequel, (view spoiler)

I have plenty more of your reads lined up on my kindle app so I'm not complaining but a sequel would be awesome. :D

message 37: by John (new) - added it

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments Yeah, there's definitely room there to continue the story at some point. I'll put it in the "to consider" hopper :-)

message 38: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Yay! ;)
Before I start any more of your books I'm going to ask should they be read in any particular order?

message 39: by John (new) - added it

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments I don't think so. SACRIFICE is a sequel, so I'd read COVENANT first, but other than that... they're not tied together, so... read what calls you :-)

message 40: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Cheers. :)