The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > The Day Of The Doctor

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 96 comments Today is the day. The 50th anniversary special is transmitted today and I for one am filled with excitement and trepidation. Can it be as epic as it needs to be? With Smith and Tennant together how could it not? John Hurt as the War Doctor can only be a sign of great things.

My Nanowrimo will be suffering another setback as the kids are put into bed or a vow of silence, the phone is taken off the hook and the television is cranked up to 11 (well, 26 actually, but that's TV manufacturers for you).

It's days like this that make being a sci fi fan so great.

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken (KGratten) | 34 comments I just noticed that BBC America have a live preshow for the Day of the Doctor and it's hosted by some person called Veronica Belmont. Hmmmm, that's interesting.

message 3: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 63 comments Yay, so excited too! (And bit nervous...)

message 4: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 23, 2013 07:36AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6264 comments Look at http://google.com

Superman, Batman, and The Doctor walk into a cafe... http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2013...

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken (kanthr) | 334 comments Suppose I never understood the appeal of Doctor Who. Still, it seems to have a huge fan base.

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard Guion (giantsizegeek) | 158 comments I thoroughly enjoyed An Adventure in Time and Space, the story of the BBC making the first Doctor Who series. Well written by Mark Gatiss and the actors are all great, especially Brian Cox as the American/Canadian producer at the BBC who instigated the show. I am not the biggest Doctor Who fan but I loved this movie because it revels in the 1960s sci-fi. Plus it has a strong female lead in Verity who produced the show. And the creation of the Daleks!

message 7: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 23, 2013 10:42AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6264 comments The Incomparable Podcast has a pretty good Doctor Who episode, with 2 guests from other Doctor Who podcasts. In fact the woman who runs one drwho podcast met her husband from another drwho podcast.

http://5by5.tv/incomparable/169

Oh, it's on in the afternoon in the US? Veronica's show comes on in less than an hour. I wonder if I could get her to mention me.

message 8: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6264 comments It's over.

message 9: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 96 comments No spoilers but I could have done with a bit more epic and a bit less dangling from Tardises. Lots of fun, though.

message 10: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments So that was the 50th anniversary episode... It was fun and a laugh. Not an epic episode but then it never was going to be. Hope all the other fans enjoyed it.

message 11: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 23, 2013 01:36PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6264 comments I miss Mrs. Doctor. But (view spoiler) was hot.

message 12: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 478 comments I thought it was pretty epic. *shrugs*

message 13: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6264 comments I think Veronica should be a regular on Mythbusters doing computer stuff.

message 14: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6787 comments Mod
I really enjoyed it, but the mermaid riding a t-rex was a bit much..

message 15: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I loved it. I for one thought the mermaid riding the t-Rex was fantastic and fit the story so well but when the unicorns competed on the Olympic bobsled team, that's where it jumped the shark for me.

message 16: by Richard (new)

Richard Guion (giantsizegeek) | 158 comments I liked the Day of the Doctor, it was a really good celebration for 50 years of Doctor Who. I first saw this show on PBS back in the early 70s - Jon Pertwee was my first Doctor. I can't believe I've been able to watch it off and on throughout all the years. The final shot at the end representing the Doctors was a nerdgasm.

Does anyone know if they started filming the Peter Capaldi episodes yet? There's no airing date from what I could find.

message 17: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Weis | 126 comments The next episode will be the Christmas episode... and the rest will be after the New Year. :(

message 18: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments Ya, from the looks of the Christmas episode teaser trailer all of Matt Smiths enemies are turning up to say farewell on trenzalore. Daleks, Cybermen, Weeping Angels, the silence.

message 19: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6264 comments I missed the Graham Norton with the 2 dr's on.

message 20: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Tamahome wrote: "I missed the Graham Norton with the 2 dr's on."

Damnit. Me too. :(

message 21: by Nixi (new)

Nixi (competine) | 28 comments http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy have you guys seen this? It cracks me up, they're hilarious.

message 22: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6264 comments Rob wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "I missed the Graham Norton with the 2 dr's on."

Damnit. Me too. :("

Maybe it'll come up On Demand, but I don't see it yet.

message 23: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Yeah. I immediately went looking. I should have figured, but there were no commercials during the episode, so no advertising it would be on.

message 24: by PointyEars42 (last edited Nov 25, 2013 12:17AM) (new)

PointyEars42 | 44 comments Well, that was... a tad underwhelming. A solid, functional episode. Not bad (10! Prior incarnation taking them to task for treating their sonics as a weapon! Cheap shots at American movies! OTT fan service scarf useage! Kate's ringtone!), and I bet it looked amazing to anyone who got to watch it on a really big screen, but it wasn't exactly Blink calibre, now was it? I know Moffat said to reign in our expectations, but knowing what he's capable of, I expected more. I loved that the War Doctor laid a path for a 12th who will be a calmer intellectual Doctor & not another frantic blowing-stuff-up Doctor. Being a grown up again, as they put it. Nicely done, that. The 3 seconds of Capaldi's eyebrows onscreen to tie it together was a highlight for me.

Maybe I'm just blinded by my deep - deep - dislike of Clara. I never took to 11 and when they added her to the mix... is it possible to really appreciate an episode when your least fav doctor and your least fav companion are in it? I still wonder what The Doctor's Wife would have been like with 10 & Donna, so maybe I'm incapable of appreciating this episode for what it is.

Can't wait to watch Gatiss' An Adventure in Space and Time though.

message 25: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 25, 2013 05:41AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6264 comments It's good. :) Who is Gatiss?

message 26: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1556 comments It's funny even though I've been a sci-fi fan since I was a little kid, I've only recently come to appreciate Doctor who. As a kid in the early 80's I was scared silly of it, literately would hide behind the couch when my dad would watch it. I've probably watched about 2/3rds of the Moffat episodes, but it is only in the last season that I've not had a shiver go up my back when I hear the intro music.

I did enjoy the episode quite a bit, but like others have said, there are better episodes out there. The show has set a pretty high mark to beat. But just as a bit of a counter to Pointy Ears, I really do like Clara, probably my favorite companion. I really dig how she holds up against the Doctor, she is not only very attractive, and strong of will (like most of the companions are), but also very intelligent. This has lead to a different character development then many of the other recent companions. But hey this stuff is subjective, not objective, so we all like what we like.

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQMBcs...

For those who missed it, the preshow hosted by Veronica the All-Powerful!! .. also starring Grant Imahara

message 28: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments PointyEars42 wrote: "Maybe I'm just blinded by my deep - deep - dislike of Clara."

I LOVE! Clara. I fell in love with her in her original episode as souffle girl and jumped for joy when I found out she was going to be new Companion...started texting my brothers instantly...Clara and Rose (well and Jack of course if he counts?) are my two favorite companions ever. Amy May be third...hated Donna Noble.

message 29: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments Clara is one of my favorite companions her and Rose. I do hope the show starts getting better it has been pretty forgettable since Steve Moffat took over which is a shame since he wrote two of my favorite episodes Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace.

message 30: by Erik (last edited Nov 25, 2013 11:47PM) (new)

Erik Redin (erik_redin) | 149 comments I thought it was fantastic. I mean, it's the 50th Anniversary Special, the number one goal has to be just don't screw it up. And he didn't screw it up. Big genre events can often be such letdowns (see the LOST finale), and I thought Day of the Doctor met the hype.

If I was making a list of my top 5 episodes of Doctor Who since the relaunch, it would definitely make my list. Would it be number one? Probably not. It's hard to put it above "Blink" or "The Doctor's Wife", but it was still a great episode. I watched it first on Saturday on TV and then saw it tonight in 3D at my local movie theater. Normally on a second viewing of a Moffat episode, I'll spot more plot holes, but in this instance I actually noticed a few lines of dialogue that sewed up the holes I was scratching my head about the first time I watched it.

On the topic of Clara, I go back and forth with her. Jenna Coleman is undeniably gorgeous, but her performances vary wildly from episode to episode. She was brilliant in "Asylum of the Daleks", I liked her a lot in "The Rings of Akhaten", and I thought she was good in the 50th Special. The rest of her episodes though have been fairly disappointing. Maybe Amy Pond, my favorite companion, is just a very hard act to follow.

message 31: by Dara (last edited Nov 26, 2013 08:48AM) (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I like Clara as well. She reminds me of Rose quite a bit. Both are intelligent and capable on their own. You can trust them to make the right decision and they both use their humanity and compassion to sort of reign the Doctor in. They're both a bit flirty as well.

The AV Club has an article discussion which showrunner did better: Davies or Moffat (here) which is pretty interesting.

message 32: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments It was a good solid episode with charming references to Dr.Who history, and I really liked the smart and tasteful way writers handled the "retcon" situation( it could have gone very very bad) and gave Doctor a new purpose...yet I still can't help but think that this was an episode not worthy of such a huge event as the 50th Anniversary.

And I was really expecting a proper "12 Doctors" episode with all the living doctors and memorable companions; and good solid actors playing the deceased ones. With today's technology and with some good casting it could be done in a very spectecular way.

message 33: by Nixi (new)

Nixi (competine) | 28 comments Hm, yes, I also think that the former doctors were a bit neglected. But maybe 12 doctors would be a bit too much and it would feel too crowded in one episode. I don' think it could be done well and fluidly for an episode that is only an hour and 15 min long. Maybe if it lasted 2 hours..

But I liked the episode very much, although I don't feel like it was epic enough. But fun, as usual. Can't wait for Christmas, no matter how sad and hard it would be to see Matt go.

message 34: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 28, 2013 08:48AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6264 comments Big Finish did an audiodrama with the older doctors:

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/t...

The third doctor meets the second doctor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnWmR...

message 35: by David (new)

David (dbigwood) Fun. There were some things I wish had been included. K9. Sarah Jane Smith, one of the top three companions (Jamie and Rose being the others). Capt. Jack and Torchwood. With the dark archive I thought it a natural tie-in. But there was only so much time and someone else would have a different list of things they would have liked to have included.

It was great fun seeing it at the cinema. So many people in scarves, or a fez and bow tie. Audience clapping at events in the story. People of all ages, from grade school to retirees enjoying the show.

message 36: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I liked the episode, having 9 in there would have been ideal, but three Doctors is plenty to support the story. The retcon, actually works and isn't really a retcon. The story actually solves the biggest issue with the reboot - that the back-story on the missing years was so out of sync with the original run and the rebooted run of 9, 10 and 11.

I was also happy to see that my explanation to my boys about what happened during the Time War was inadvertently even more right than it had any right to be.