What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Multicultural children's picture books

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evie (new)

Evie (ocarina) | 28 comments Good evening everyone,

I'm currently working in two kindergarten rooms as a mentor, and we have a very diverse population of students. We have kids who are African American, Indian, Middle Eastern, Korean, Chinese, Ethiopian, Vietnamese… and those are just the ones I'm sure of. Does anyone know of any picture books with main characters from any of these backgrounds? I realize that's a big list, but just throw 'em out there if you can!

My only requirements are that they are kindergarten level, and provide accurate, authentic cultural representations. I'd like them to be entertaining learning experiences.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
For African American, check out Ezra Jack Keats's books.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Here are the search results in listopia for "multicultural children's."

https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

message 4: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments I really liked Angel Child, Dragon Child growing up. It has an authenticity that can feel lacking in other books of its genre.

message 5: by Cruth (new)

Cruth | 85 comments Mem Fox : Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes and Whoever You Are

Both celebrate children from many backgrounds. Australian author.

message 6: by Laina (new)

Laina (lshockley) | 189 comments I suggest Tikki Tikki Tembo, one of my all-time kids' book favorites!

Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel

message 7: by Evie (new)

Evie (ocarina) | 28 comments thank you everyone!

message 8: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments My kids liked the Little Wen books. Don't know how easy they are to find. Little Wen: I Want to See About That

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments Allen Say writes about Japanese-Americans.

message 14: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Goguen | 43 comments Not sure of the origin but one of my favourites as a girl was the nutmeg princess

message 15: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1136 comments All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon features illustrations by Marla Frazee of biracial children and their parents. All the World