Middle Georgia Readers Guild discussion

Greetings and Salutations

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick Hello ladies (as the only gent currently in this group, I didn't feel the need to include others at this time, though "hello ladies" sounds a little cheesy). I am Nick. I thought it would be fun to try and get to know each other a little bit since it seems finding other readers in the Middle GA area has been a challenge for my wife, Sharon, and I.
As for me, I am a lover of all things Science Fiction (though I've found myself drawn to Westerns as of late) as well as Fantasy Fiction and anything regarding Theological works and works on Christian life.
I have just finished Larry McMurtry's "Telegraph Days" and am hoping to move on to "Lonesome Dove" before too long. However, I'm one book away from finishing John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" series so I'm moving on to that next.

So tell us all all a little about yourself! What are you interested in? Any good recommendations? Let's see who has similar interests!

And go!

message 2: by S H A R O N (new)

S H A R O N  (ishari) | 18 comments Mod
Hi! I'm Sharon, Nick's wife. I'm pretty bad at writing "about me" blurbs...but in a nutshell, I'm a pretty big nerd...a Browncoat, Whovian, and a Disneyfiend and a gamer but still takes time to cross-stitch nerdy designs in between reading books and watching episodes of Stargate SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica (so say we all).

I'm an avid reader - I tend to lean toward fantasy/science fiction/romance (paranormal, fantasy and regency)/YA.

I just recently started a book review blog/website that is still in its infancy...if you're bored and feel like checking it out, here it is: http://isharisbookshelf.weebly.com/

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie I prefer suspense and thrillers, especially legal thrillers. I follow John Grisham, Brad Thor and Brad Meltzer.

message 4: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 14 comments Hi! I found this group interesting because it's in my area AND I'm also a big sci fi/fantasy fan. And that is hard to find around here IRL. Also love history--for real and fictional.

I'm a big reader although I seem to have hit a dry spell of late. I have so many books in my "to read" pile but nothing is calling to me right now. I think I'm waiting for Miles Cameron's next book.

Nice to "meet" you.

message 5: by Amberle (new)

Amberle Husbands | 12 comments Hello, everyone. I'm a reader living just on the Bleckely side of the Bleckely/Laurens County line, and I have had a hard time finding a reading group around here. I work as a sheetmetal mechanic, and am also a writer, so meeting the deadlines and schedules of a traditional book club can be difficult for me. But, I do still love to read, and am constantly reading something... so it seems like this might be a good group for me.

My heart will always belong to sci-fi and horror, and I have gotten more and more into pulpish, noir works. I also have a gigantic soft spot for big bricks of Russian literature, even though they steal huge chunks of my time. Lately I'm reading The Warsaw Conspiracy and The Turn of the Screw.

Nice to meet everyone!

message 6: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 14 comments Hi Amberle,

Glad to meet another sci-fi fan, although I've been more into fantasy in the last few years. I'm in a book club (meets monthly), but we only do sci-fi/fantasy when it's my turn to choose the book. ;0) So I look forward to some good discussions!

message 7: by Ise (new)

Ise Johnson (isej) | 2 comments Hello im Ise and I live in Warner Robins. I love to read! im also a nerd and am glad to see a fellow whovian. I read all sorts of books ranging from YA,to Anne Rice, Nicholas Sparks just to name a few. Nice to meet all of you.

message 8: by Amberle (new)

Amberle Husbands | 12 comments Nice to meet you, too, Ise -- nice to meet everyone here! We all need fellow nerds to lean on, once in a while.

message 9: by Ise (new)

Ise Johnson (isej) | 2 comments Amberle wrote: "Nice to meet you, too, Ise -- nice to meet everyone here! We all need fellow nerds to lean on, once in a while."

yes we do!

message 10: by Jeffrey (last edited May 26, 2014 06:25PM) (new)

Jeffrey Taylor (jatta97) | 11 comments Hello. Just found the group. I live and read in Milledgeville and moderate an increasingly small local book club. Our meetings have dwindled to two to five active members.

I'm also chair for the Putnam County Democratic Party.

I don't have any specific favored subjects but may slightly favor history, science and classics. Things philosophical tend to creep into my reading activities also.

message 11: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Taylor (jatta97) | 11 comments Hello. Just found the group. I live and read in Milledgeville and moderate an increasingly small local book club. Our meetings have dwindled to two to five active members.

I'm also chair for the Putnam County Democratic.

message 12: by Karan (new)

Karan (fowlerek) | 5 comments Hi I'm Karan from Perry and I read just about everything except romances. I'm in a book club with a group of fantastic ladies who share a passion for reading.

message 13: by Karan (new)

Karan (fowlerek) | 5 comments Hi I'm Karan from Perry and I read just about everything except romances. I'm in a book club with a group of fantastic ladies who share a passion for reading.

message 14: by Karan (new)

message 15: by Karan (new)

message 16: by Amberle (new)

Amberle Husbands | 12 comments Hi, Karan! Welcome to the group. Yours sounds like a great book club to be part of -- congrats!