Beatdom discussion

Best Beat Book to Movie Adaptation

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
What do you think is the best adaptation of a Beat work? Was it Howl (2010)? Naked Lunch (1992)? Surely it wasn't On the Road (2012) or the Subterraneans (1960).... Maybe Big Sur (2013)?

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Scown | 4 comments I'm very excited about Big Sur. Australians, don't get it down under until early next year. I'm holding out for the big screen experience. I have a big heart for Howl. It was far better than I expected it to be which is always a nice surprise.

message 3: by David (new)

David Corvine (davidcorvine) | 8 comments Has anyone seen Tangernacion? a Dutch production centred on Bowles and Burroughs in the Interzone.

message 4: by Johnny (new)

Johnny D | 11 comments From what I've seen so far, Howl was easily the best. Big Sur is one of my favourite Kerouac novels so looking forward to seeing that one! There's quite a few Beat inspired indie movie's appearing at the moment, I wonder inspired this trend?

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Scown | 4 comments Has anyone seen, Kill your darlings? I wanna see that. I don't know where the inspiration is coming from, but I'm glad it's happening.

message 6: by Johnny (new)

Johnny D | 11 comments Still waiting for Kill Your Darlings to be released in the UK. I have a feeling Big Sur will be better in a true-to-Beat sense though..

message 7: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
The next issue of Beatdom features reviews and essays and interviews from all the above mentioned movies.

message 8: by Jared (last edited Feb 08, 2014 04:29AM) (new)

Jared Carnie I think Big Sur is probably the closest to feeling like the book. It's melancholic and kind of dream-like but also pretty at times. I guess because it uses so much of the text that helps carry it. I don't know if anyone who hadn't read Kerouac could get much out of it though.

I enjoyed Howl more than I expected to. I found On The Road a bit of a chore to be honest. It didn't seem to have much of a spark to it.

message 9: by Casey (new)

Casey | 1 comments Kill Your Darlings is based on And The Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks, a collaboration between Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs. The novel was based on a murder committed by Lucien Carr, a friend of Kerouac, Burroughs, and Ginsberg. I found the movie on iTunes about 2 months ago and loved it.

message 10: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 6 comments Casey wrote: "Kill Your Darlings is based on And The Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks, a collaboration between Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs. The novel was based on a murder committed by Lucien Carr, a ..."

Kill Your Darlings was certainly well done. However, the film adaptation of Howl was my favorite because I thought it was the most creative and original of the bunch.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 35 comments Just about to start reading issue 14 of beatdom to get some ideas of what films to watch. Only seen factotum and barfly so far, I thought they were good.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 35 comments Just seen Kill your darlings, I thought it was really good. Ben Foster was very good as Burroughs I reckon he had the performance spot on.

message 13: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Bondi | 1 comments I think James Franco did a great job impersonating Ginsberg in Howl. So that would have to be my favourite.

message 14: by Johnny (new)

Johnny D | 11 comments Jason: ben foster did a good job, but you should check out Viggo Mortensen as Burroughs in the On The Road movie. He plays it superbly. Who do you think portrayed Bukowski best, Dillon or Rourke?

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 35 comments Hi John, I want to read on the road before I watch the movie, hopefully I will get time for that book this year, I have both book and DVD waiting for me. I am reading an issue of beatdom on movies at the moment and just read a review of big sur and the portrayal of jack is supposed to be really good in that.

I thought both actors did a great job of Bukowski Rourke looked the part but Dillon was just how I had pictured Bukowski whilst reading post office so my vote would have to go with Dillon. Who was best in your opinion?

message 16: by Johnny (new)

Johnny D | 11 comments yeah the guy who plays kerouac in big sur was very good, definitely touched on the inner torment that plagued kerouac, especially when he was drinking.

you're right that Rourke looked the part as Bukowski, Dillon was just far too good looking! None of them really captured Buk in my opinion. There's a documentary about Bukowski called Born Into This if you're interested. I think it's on youtube.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 35 comments Cheers will have a look for that, I love listening to him reading, luckily there is plenty of that available.