What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Cure for Modern Life
This topic is about The Cure for Modern Life
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. fiction, audio, corporate executive, pharmaceutical industry [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy (last edited Nov 22, 2013 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daisy (bellisperennis) To avoid spoilers I'm not posting all remembered details and remembered details are sketchy, but I believe the protagonist was in international sales. Well, he traveled a lot. If I remember correctly there is a mystery surrounding research on a specific drug? He accidentally(?) befriends youth or child via an incident that I hesitate to mention. There is also a subplot about a female friend and male friend. Did he know them from college? Read over 6 years ago but within the last 20 years. Thanks so much for help with author or title.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
The Constant Gardener?

You can include spoilers by the way. Either use the spoiler tags (click "some html is ok" to see the tags to use), or just type SPOILERS and type them beneath that - anyone who wants to read the novel can skip that section.

Daisy (bellisperennis) @Lobstergirl

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at this book during my search.

According to a review of “The Constant Gardner,” there are some aspects of “The Constant Gardener” which I do not recall in book I read, like a severed head or gardening.

One aspect of the story that I remember (and is this event part of the plot of “The Constant Gardner?”) is that the main character meets a young child or youth on the street (was he on his way home from a bar or a party and was it near a bridge?). Did this child try to steel from him somehow? Ask him for money? I seem to remember this happening. Despite this, the protagonist takes the youth into his house (for payback?). The child, or youth, stays at his place while the main character travels for work(?) and the child discovers his music collection.

(view spoiler)

Thank you for the tips on spoilers! I'm fairly new.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 614 comments Philip Margoljn has a few books that feature the pharmaceutical industry and issues with drugs

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35132 comments Mod
Did it feel more like a thriller or mystery? Was anyone's life threatened? Any clues about the health condition the drug was supposed to treat? Was the child/youth male or female?

Daisy (bellisperennis) @Dee,

Thank you. "The Associate" by Margolin seems to be the closest in plot, as far as I can tell from the reviews I read of his books, except that I don't recall Dr. Sergey Kaidanov's character.

Daisy (bellisperennis) @Kris. This is it !! No matter which words I would put into search engines, I couldn't find it anywhere. I didn't remember that there were two children. I am remembering now the main character's best friend's name was Ben (still don't recall the main character's name as Mathew, although I remember him being somewhat cold and austere), but, this is the book. Thank you, thank you.

message 9: by Kris (last edited Nov 24, 2013 09:07AM) (new)

You're welcome. Glad we could help. :)

This was a tricky one. I think the Google search that finally worked was:

site:amazon.com fiction pharmaceutical sales executive adopt
(The linked appeared on the second page.)

message 10: by Daisy (last edited Nov 24, 2013 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daisy (bellisperennis) Kris,

You know, I wanted to ask you how you found the book.

One puzzling thing is that I tried a similar search (among many other tries) in Google with the word corporate in place of the word sales but no link to this particular book.

I followed the advice given by this group and tried other search engines. How could this book have completely disappeared?

There is a lesson learned from this in that I realize that I usually only look at links on the first page of Google. From now on I will start going back a few pages.

I so appreciate that you were able to find it. Thank you again. And, thanks for the lesson!

message 11: by Kris (last edited Nov 25, 2013 06:41AM) (new)

It's certainly more art than science, and having all these people on Goodreads doing their bit to help track down "old friends" makes all the difference. :)